Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mechanical Desktop with Inventor

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
kvp1
798 Views, 5 Replies

Mechanical Desktop with Inventor

Our company recently purchaced the Inventor 2012 suite (network license). Before using Inventor we were using Mechanical Desktop 2009. When we made the purchace we thought we would be able to get Mechanical desktop 2009 with it. It did not come with it. We called one of the support numbers. They gave us the web site http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?id=13744274&siteID=123112 where we were supposed to be able to download the software.

When our computer crews went to download a network liscence onto our server we were not able to open the program. We were given the error message "A valid license could not be obtained by the network license manager. Try again. If you are still unable to access a license, contact your system administrator." Error[1.5.-18]

We tried again, it didnt work. We contacted the system admin and they didnt know what to do. they uninstalled the software and re-installed the software. When they did they made sure that it was a network license and not a stand-alone.

We need Mechanical desktop in order to view and edit all of our files that we have made up to this point. Please help.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
TravisNave
in reply to: kvp1

Your existing MDT2009 should have still worked.  Mechanical Desktop has been discontinued and the last version was 2009.  It will continue to work under Subscription thru the 2012 product, but will be deprecated and no longer available for the next release in a few months.  This should still work if your new 2012 license is under Subscription.  Did you purchase Subscription?

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 6
kvp1

At first we purchaced Inventor by itself. We thought that we would be able to just use the software that we had already purchaced. Because we did an "upgrade" it seems as if our old license for the MDT2009 is no longer valid. The salesperson sold us the suite telling us that MDT would be included with it. We have tried to re install the software taht we had for MDT but our license has been canceled because of the upgrade. We had the subscription with our previous version but did not get it this time because it was not within our budget and our salesperson told us that we could get MDT with the suite.

What do we need to do to get that software? We dont want to have to go through our salesperson because he seems like he is trying to nickle and dime us $1000 at a time.

Message 4 of 6
TravisNave

Yeah, you're going to need to have Subscription to be licensed to use a prior release product like 2009.  The 2012 Suite does not come with Mechanical Desktop. It's support is based on an additional download that uses the 2012 Subscription license or a prior use exception for stand-alone.  Sounds like you need to switch to a new VAR.  Smiley Sad

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 6
simon-hoch
in reply to: TravisNave

Hi,

I have a question that might seem stupid Smiley Happy

I´m a medicine student and i need to develop a special surgical knive. I have no experience with any autodesk product.

So i downloaded autodesk inventor 2012. but it seems to me that it doesn´t work alone to draw a knife which i can move afterwards (it´s a knife with a joint so i want to do an animation where it moves because i have to convince some guys that they need to spend money for some scientific work in my theme)

Do i need to "build" it in the autoCAD mecanic and the inventor is only to import the data from mecanic and then to make them move? But it is no "drawing" software?

Message 6 of 6
ampster401
in reply to: simon-hoch

simon-hoch,

#1.  You'd have better results posting a new thread about your situation.  And that post should go in the Inventor forum; http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/bd-p/78

#2.  Don't expect to be able to use Inventor to it's fullest capability without any training.  What you are asking is possible.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report