Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDT 2009 with PDS 2012 license?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ajf350d
956 Views, 8 Replies

MDT 2009 with PDS 2012 license?

We have a load of older MDT 2009 files, which is probably fairly normal.

New stuff is done in PDS 2012 and on this link here:

http://autodeskmfg.typepad.com/blog/2011/05/inventor-2011-service-pack-2-mechanical-desktop-2009.htm...

it mentions the ability to use the specific download of MDT 2009 with a PDS 2012 license.

I have tried installing the program from the files on the link and it goes through fine, but then when I try to run MDT 2009 I get an error saying no valid licenses can be found.

Our licenses are held on a license server.

We use a support company who have also tried this and had the same result. Currently we have had to back track our license file so it includes the original MDT 2009 licenses, but once we go to PDS 2013 this won't be possible.

Any ideas why it is not working as the link suggests?

Andrew

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
yankeemold
in reply to: ajf350d

We have a similar problem. I just moved to Acad 2013 and needed to pull up an old file for a customer to do some repairs and got the error that MDT2009 files not supported.  I had just assumed (falsely) that I would be able to open old MDT files and save them in a new format.  I haven't decided what to do long term, for this occurance, I went to a customer who still had Acad 2012 loaded, opened it on their system, exploded everything, and Wblocked it out to get rid of anything related to MDT.  Worked, but was a pain.  I don't want to have to open thousands of old files that I may never need again, but don't want to risk loosing the info either.  I would also need to load the older version back up and license it, rather than use a customers system (embarassing).  Is their a program that will strip out the MDT references without opening the files?  No decision as of yet, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Message 3 of 9
TravisNave
in reply to: yankeemold

Everyone literally had over 7 years of notice that MDT was going away and to prepare for that.  It got put on life support after 2009 for 3 more years.  Last year it was warned that there would be no support at all once 2013 was released.  It's kind of hard for me to feel sorry for all of this heads-up notice...  Smiley Frustrated

Spoiler
Autodesk has terminated development of Autodesk® Mechanical Desktop® and will no longer release new versions of the product. This decision was made to allow Autodesk to focus on the development of the Autodesk® Inventor® and AutoCAD® Mechanical product lines.

As a result of this decision, Mechanical Desktop 2009 becomes the last version of the product to be made available.

Autodesk recognizes that our customers have created many Mechanical Desktop files containing their intellectual property. To protect this data, Autodesk is taking the following actions:

• In accordance with section 2.2.3 of the Subscription Terms and Conditions, Autodesk Support will continue to provide product support for Subscription customers for a period of no less than three years after the removal of Mechanical Desktop from the Inventor product line.
  • Autodesk will continue to make Mechanical Desktop 2009 available for download with future releases of Inventor.
  • Autodesk will continue to support the DWG Import wizard for Mechanical Desktop parts, assemblies and drawings.
  • Despite anything to the contrary in our Subscription terms and conditions or our license agreement(s), Autodesk will allow customers the right to continue using earlier versions of Mechanical Desktop with Inventor releases.

For additional information, please contact your reseller.

Thank you for choosing Subscription for your Autodesk products.

Sincerely,

The Autodesk Subscription Team

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 4 of 9
yankeemold

I understand your feelings about the advance notice, but I can still open ancient acad ver 12 files and save them in current software. Somehow I and probably many others didn't get that "not Supported" meant not being able to use them in current software.  So, did you open and save every last old archived file you have in current software?  Do you not have a life? or did you write something to automate the process?

Message 5 of 9
TravisNave
in reply to: yankeemold

That message came out in 2008. It was announced years before that before it went on extended life support. Had users made the conversion back then, it wouldn't even be an issue now. How many people still use Windows 95? All I'm saying is that if you saved even one drawing in MDT after release 2006, then you only have yourself to blame because the writing was already on the wall back then. Sorry.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 6 of 9
ajf350d
in reply to: TravisNave

I am aware it is now an obsolete product but even then, to remove any way of opening old files in a current package, even for reference, is very poor.

The main issue I have though about this, is according to Autodesk, there is a perfectly usable solution for MDT 2009 with PDS 2012 but it doesn't work as described. Autodesk via our support company have not been any help either.

Message 7 of 9
TravisNave

Is your 2012 under Subscription?  If you do not have a PACKAGE license with support for 2012, 2011, 2010, and 2009, then your MDT 2009 will not work.  This solution requires an active Subscription account to function with your network licensing.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 8 of 9
ajf350d

Yes, we have a subscription, so that is how we are currently managing the problem.

Autodesk removed the 2013 licenses for us and reinstated back to 2009, so as you suggest we now have licenses for 2009,2010,2011 and 2012 products

However if you follow the link in my original post, it implies that if you download the MDT 2009 version in the link then it will use a 2012 PDS license, rather than its own original licenses. Almost works like a plug in I guess.

Amongst other things this should then allow MDT2009 to still work when the 2013 licenses are added to our license file - taking into account the 3 versions back they allow, which would typically mean we then have 2010,2011,2012 and 2013 product licenses.

Message 9 of 9
yankeemold

I understand how we had advance notice. I am under a subscription contract.   The point is that I need some way to access old MDT2009 files on occassion.  We did not convert old files for jobs we were done with, but occassionally we need info for repairs on these products.  I have tried the TrueView convert and it doesn't work for this.  My problem right now is that if I have tried to open the file in PDS 2013 and got the error message that it is MDT2009 and can;t use commands and can't save, it somehow alters the file and you can't open it in an old version as when attempting that, the Mech 2012 shows that it has been opened in a newer version.  Creates a mess for me.  I have a 64 bit machine and my understanding is that there is no version of MDT2009 to tack on to this for file conversion.  The job I am working on now has been re-activated from being started in year 2008 and cancelled in 2009.  That is why I need to be able to convert my old files, otherwise I have to redesign this project.  Frustration. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report