Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2012 network license issues

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
josh
2589 Views, 8 Replies

Maya 2012 network license issues

I just installed Maya 2012 with single user network license.

I get Flex error message telling me "Your application was not able to obtain a license because the FLEXnet license server manager could not determine where to find the licensing data it needs".

I am then prompted to specify the server name and Maya will launch but I can't figure out why it can't find license on its own.

Funny thing is if i just cancel this message window and try to open Maya again, it opens fine. This only works if I open Maya shortly after closing this error message window.

I've attached screencaps of the error dialogs I get when I cancel the dialog asking for server location.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
josh
in reply to: josh

For anyone interested, I managed to get it working.

I'm guessing the Flex license checker doesn't like the naming of the server Hostname. Strange...

Not sure if this is a documented issue or not. ???

SOLUTION:

I first changed the "LICPATH.LIC" in Maya program files to look for license via direct IP address instead of hostname and that worked.

Unfortunately that also caused a lag of about 10-20 sec waiting for Maya splash screen to appear as it retrieved license. BAD!

So I modified windows "hosts" file in "windows\system32\drivers\etc" to include server IP with relative hostname,

then revert "LICPATH.LIC" to look for license via hostname again. 

BINGO!   Instant program launch.... what a mission.

PS - just a side note. I also had to modify the "hosts" file on server to allow Maya to launch on that machine too because the license manager won't serve license to itself.  I thought this would be a simple install process, boy was I wrong.

Message 3 of 9
TravisNave

That is correct.  A more detailed solution to this is provided here in my link to this issue:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Network-License-Error-1-5-15-and-IPv6/td-p/2982...

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 4 of 9
thundermane

Dear josh (and others),

I'm still struggling with this network licensing.

What exactly do you fill out in LICPATH.LIC?

Does it need like:

SERVER "Ip-Adress"
USE_SERVER

Or something else?

And what is this "relative" hostname, sorry I got little knowledge about this, hence why I'm struggling.

I need to see exactly what needs to be put where, otherwise I can't really apply it.

Some other questions:

During the FLEXnet License Finder, the "Specify the License File" wants to have the LICPATH.LIC right? What does it require to know? 

If trying Specify the License Server System it asks for Computer Name, would that work otherwise?

Also I got a Serial Number and Product Key, why not just use those for licensing instead putting people through this hell?

Side note: I tried to follow the solution posted here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Network-License-Error-1-5-15-and-IPv6/td-p/2982...

But with no good results

Thanks in advance for help.

Message 5 of 9
DarrenP
in reply to: thundermane

did you at least do this part?: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Quick-Start-Guide-for-Configuring-LMTOOLS/td-p/...

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
TravisNave

Darren is right.  Did you at least set up the license manager first?  If so, the LICPATH.LIC file gets created automatically with the appropriate data of your NLM server. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 7 of 9
thundermane
in reply to: TravisNave

Thanks for the replies so far.

First of all, sorry if I appear incredibly stupid but licensing appears to have so much to it.

I did have a LICPATH.LIC on my computer already, but it only contains:

SERVER (my computer name) 000000000000
USE_SERVER

Whereas on the LMTOOLS tutorial: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Quick-Start-Guide-for-Configuring-LMTOOLS/td-p/...

it shows VENDOR, PACKAGE and INCREMENT as well.

(By the way, I haven't installed it yet indeed, but I tried it now)

Do I miss a different License or something? I don't remember actually receiving a license file apart from the LICPATH.LIC

Sorry again if I miss on something, I don't want to bother, but I've been searching around a lot but all I could find was this thread, and the threads you have given me.

Message 8 of 9
TravisNave

The LICPATH.LIC file is just a pointer that directs your application to the NLM server.  You still need to get your official license file from Autodesk and configure your LMTOOLS to use it. 

Please call Autodesk Product Registration and Authorization:

http://en.autodesk.ca/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=9719649&id=9830778

1-800-551-1490 > Option 1 (English) > Option 2 > (Network)

Asia / Pacific: 65.6735.5688
Europe / Middle East / Asia: 41.32.723.9595

You will need to provide your serial number and ethernet ID of the new license server.

www.licenseparser.com > This will break down your current license file into plain english and you will find the serial number there.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 9 of 9
thundermane
in reply to: TravisNave

Thanks a lot for your help! I will try to call at a decent hour. I hope that will be the end of my troubles.

Not relevant to this but: I do kind of wish some of this information was more easily accesible for dummies like myself.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report