Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2011 Mac OSX "error 20"

71 REPLIES 71
SOLVED
Message 1 of 72
Learil
10009 Views, 71 Replies

Maya 2011 Mac OSX "error 20"

Hey everyone,

I was hoping that someone could help me get up and running with maya 2011. I’m an art student, and I downloaded Maya 2011 off the Autodesk website for use with school work in the fall, however, I’m having some issues. It installed fine (so far as I know, anyway), but when I try to open the program, I get the following message: 

License was not obtained
Tried Maya 2011 (657C1 2011.0.0.F), error 20

License method:
environment variable MAYA_LICENSE_METHOD=’standalone’

Product choice:
environment variable MAYA_LICENSE=’unlimited’

License file override:
environment variable MAYA_ALT_EN is not set

I’ve searched high and low for an answer, but I haven’t come across one yet, despite two days of searching. I’m hoping someone here can help me with the solution. In case anyone has any idea what’s going on here, I’ll list my computer’s software and hardware specifications, etc.

MacBook Pro, mid-2009 unibody, 2.53 GHz intel core 2 duo, 4 gigs of ram, 256mb NVidia GeForce 9400M graphics card.

Currently, I am running OSX Snow Leopard, version 10.6.4, on a recently replaced 320 gig hard drive (fresh from apple yesterday).

I also have the serial number and activation codes for Maya, and as far as I know, I installed it all properly, which is why I’m stumped. A HUGE thanks in advance to anyone who can provide any help at all (even if it’s not much in your eyes, it’ll make a world of difference to me).

Also, as I’m a new member, I apologize if this has been discussed before, however I did a search and nothing came up for me. Additionally, I’ve read the user installation manual (it bears no specific mention of this problem/error) and I’ve scoured the Autodesk website to no avail. Seeing as all of these labours have fallen short of the mark, this post is as much a plea as a question, if you get my meaning!

71 REPLIES 71
Message 41 of 72

You will need to delete folders highlighted (attached) and remove Maya 2011 folder and then re-install the Maya.

David Lau
Message 42 of 72
Buba_jw
in reply to: david.lau

Done as you wrote, but the error still shows. Can't run Maya. Found those folders (see attachment), deleted them, deleted the Maya folder (tried also with deleting the whole Autodesk folder in applications) and reinstalled Maya with 000-00000000 serial and it still didn't run. Of course afer reinstallation those folders are there again (in Application support and Preferences folders).

Message 43 of 72
Buba_jw
in reply to: Buba_jw

I don't know if it matters but during the installation there is a "Installation failed on exit" comment. Is it normal? I thought that maybe I downloaded something wrong but after trying to download Maya 2011 installer few times this comment shows everytime during installation. The installation of course finishes and I can click Done to finish it, but then the program starts with the error mentioned earlier.

Message 44 of 72
mjurinci

Try this set english language on your system, i had the same problem and it helped, when i changed from croatian to english on Mac OSX 10.6.4. 

Message 45 of 72
Buba_jw
in reply to: mjurinci

It worked :] Thanks mjurinci!

Message 46 of 72
Message 47 of 72
mahsa.aria

hi i 've got the same problem for installing maya i want to know how did u solve it? how did u chang the language? from where and how does it work?!

Message 48 of 72
mahsa.aria

hi

i have the same problem as yours i want to how did u solve it?

Message 49 of 72
david.lau
in reply to: mahsa.aria

Message 50 of 72
mvde

I can't really call that a solution, to be honest.

It's a bypass, bypassing should be temporary, You should make an update that would fix this.

Message 51 of 72
rednez
in reply to: DouglasLauritsen

Sorry, but this is very inconvenient solution. The main language of my MacOS is Russian. So, always switching to English language just for running just a one specific program like a Maya it is very inconvenient and inefficient!

Have you fix this problem by some update?

Message 52 of 72
kuzemchik

The same question as above. Are the any chances that Maya will work on Mac OS X with any other than english localization?

Tags (1)
Message 53 of 72
nnu1gcc
in reply to: Learil

hello i am having the same issue on my machine but im  on a pc running windows 7  only a few days ago i was working on my programs but it seems aall of a sudden im getting the same error one all of my autodesk sorftwair. 

max 2011 64

mudbox 2011 64

spftimage 2011 64

i dont understand how this has happend as nothing has changed the only thing i can think has chnged is the enternet when down the other day at the uni as i live in halls of residance and the internet is supplied by the university.

since then they have the internet back up and possibly my ip could have changed is that possibly the case. im lost without these programs as im currently studying my final year and need them for my dissertation. could you pleas help me out here as im in desperat need of a fast solution.

its the same error message ''error 20 '' and its on the loade up of any of the programs 

any help right now would be massivly appriciated as i need this to be quick. 

thanx for your time 

nicholas uttley

Message 54 of 72
hashim.mundol
in reply to: nnu1gcc

ip change will not break license.

did you try the suggestions in the thread (deleting the license files )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!
For more tips & tricks: http://upandready.typepad.com

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 55 of 72
nnu1gcc
in reply to: hashim.mundol

ok im not all that up on computer fiddly bts when it comes to programs. but reading through this person is refering to mac and im running a pc. is there a diffrance in what im ment to do ? .

also there is alot of diffrent things happening on this issue with this other person is there any chance u could give me a run down on the steps i should take im running windows 7 and my aplication for max is 64 bit.

Message 56 of 72
COLINKELLY2647
in reply to: rednez

HI all,

I have been battling with this for over 8 hrs now and my college finally fixed it for me here is how he did.

Edit your maya.lic file located /var/flexlm/ 

to:

SERVER 127.0.0.1 2080 
USE_SERVER

and save this file. *the 2080 is the port number found in your adsk_server.lic (in the same dir)

VENDOR adskflex port=2080

Hope this works for you all - Buying my college lunch.

Message 57 of 72
rednez
in reply to: COLINKELLY2647

Unfortunately, "error 20" is still appears!

@COLINKELLY2647 wrote:

HI all,

I have been battling with this for over 8 hrs now and my college finally fixed it for me here is how he did.

Edit your maya.lic file located /var/flexlm/ 

to:

SERVER 127.0.0.1 2080 
USE_SERVER

and save this file. *the 2080 is the port number found in your adsk_server.lic (in the same dir)

VENDOR adskflex port=2080

Hope this works for you all - Buying my college lunch.

Message 58 of 72
david.lau

This is just a summary on how to hopefully solve this issue for Standalone.

• Deleting folders as noted in the post in discussion.
                /Library/Application Support/Autodesk/Adlm/
                /Library/Preferences/FLEXnet Publisher/FLEXnet/
  • Installed as Trial first using 000-00000000.
  • Ran Maya as Trial.
  • Then registered afterwards by choosing Activate instead of Try.

For the ports settings via Network, I would check out this post:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Port-number-used-for-network-licensing-of-Autod...

David Lau
Message 59 of 72
rednez

I try to do step-by-step as you advise me.

1. My system is MacOS 10.6.6, language of OS is Russian.

2. I deleted /Library/Application Support/Autodesk/Adlm/
            /Library/Preferences/FLEXnet Publisher/FLEXnet/

Also I deleted al of Maya files.

3. I installed Maya 2011 as trial using 000-00000000.

4. I try to run Maya as Trial but get "error 20" again!

If I change my system language to English, Maya run good. But If I change system language to Russian then Maya not run again and "error 20" is appearing.

Message 60 of 72
david.lau

This is a known issue.   You need to run it in English as a workaround.

David Lau

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report