Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX 2011 MATERIAL EDITOR ISSUES

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
RafalTomaszewski
884 Views, 4 Replies

MAX 2011 MATERIAL EDITOR ISSUES

Using Max 2010-2011, my workstation has issue with viewing Material Library list.
This occurrence happens when you try to GET NEW MATERIAL, or OPEN NEW LIBRARY.
Basic issue is that the list of materials is not being rendered with their icons, and whole application hangs,
badly. The severity of the issue is critical, as it cripples our production flow, and timeframes. System
process of MAX hangs badly to the point where task manager cannot shut it down. This bug, does not
allow use of any previously created materials in new scenes. It is a really painful one.
This problem only happens with our main workstation, which is the only system using WIN7 64bit. On any
other machines, and any other operating systems the same files work fine. No issues what so ever.
Also there is no difference if the file is MAT or MAX, while viewing library through Material Editor. It all
hangs. The error happens so fast that there is no chance to shut down material editor or disconnect the library in
time. Only way around it is to reset MAX, but then all settings have to be re-inserted, which is a total NO
NO. I have undergone troubleshooting with the reseller, and my own Enterprise
level IT technicians, but no luck....

If you know the solution to this issue, please shine some light into this error urgently as we have production over holiday season, and there is no one around to help.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rod
Observer
in reply to: RafalTomaszewski

Yep, I'm getting the exact same thing. OS is XP 64bit. Its really maddening ...

Message 3 of 5

Thanks for your reply.

I have given up talking to Autodesk - It has chewed up all my time and all they did was ask what cards I am running in my studio. Since all my graphics cards are not "certified" but supported only, they kept asking if I can see if this happens in certified card case.

I am not sure how to say this. If this problem has not happened for 4 years and various cards, various software releases and happened just now... then why is it treated that lightly? it is bizzare ot say the least.

Also latest findings. It is not a graphics card because I found some files doing it and some libraries not doing it at all.

So it is a file specific issue, where the bug really hangs the workstation.

Autodesk is useless. Not really very helpful in such case. Far better talking to your local reseller and get someone who is really good in MAX programming. This is the only help I find.

Anyhow - keep me posted as it is a real hard one.

I am workin on another bug now - and likely it will be a waste of time to go to Autodesk with it as well.

This time its backburner... oh well... let's see where it takes us this time.

Message 4 of 5
rod
Observer
in reply to: RafalTomaszewski

Hi Rafal, I did some research on the web and found some stuff out that might help. I've done a sw update to my graphics card driver and the Materials Editor problem has not reappeared. ! ? ! Wow. I'm using and NVIDIA Quadro FX and its been great, but when I had an automatic windows update around Christmas a few problems kicked in, including this one with the ME dialogue. I didnt connect them as it didnt show right away. Anyway, last night I down loaded the latest driver from the NVIDIA website and the installation took just 2mins. SInce then, I've not had a crash in the ME. Why do I think its the graphics card driver? Well I read that max doent like a card that has dual screen where the memory for each is linked to make one big pool its called SLi dual screen support. AutoDesk do not support the tech so I made a guess that might be it.

I hope this helps ... Let me know, Rod

Message 5 of 5
RafalTomaszewski
in reply to: rod

Hey Rod,

I am simply glad it worked for you.

We have this problem on range of cards, and tried 3 of 4 of them now. Ranging from GT 260 ro Quadro cards 3500-4400

Autodesk said they are all not certified cards, and did not help much.

We have run driver updates, other updates, installed patches, and tried tricks.

Problem is still there on and off. It only selectively happens on some ME dialogs, but not all files and not always.

It happens if you open a MAT file or importing the library via MAX file.

Right now we are in production flow of large animation, so all our machines are working with one scene only, and the ME part is largely done, since early January. I think I will see it come back in a weeks time when we begin another job...

In summary - I will find some work around. I always do, but I am glad it has worked for you my friend.

Now I am battling buggy Backburner, which doesnt update the frames it has rendered.

Weird how these all happen... but I know that this one is not my graphics card....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report