Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LMTools Move to new Server.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Bob_Ross_9999
523 Views, 2 Replies

LMTools Move to new Server.

Hi,

Im a way CAD noob. Thus apologies in advance.

I have been tasked with moving our LMtools to a new server due to the need for 2015.

'current/ to be old server' is windows server 2003R2 we are using version 11.11 of lmtools currently.

The 'new' lmtools server is up and running. Its version 11.12.0.0 on a win 2012 R2 server.

I have my GPO set up to push out the environment variable : e.g. ADSK_LICENSE_FILE=@New_SERVER  ( correct? )

Our Cad vendors are getting me a new license for the new server - as it has a new MAC and server name.

Questions would be :

- everything look good thus far ?

- Is there anyway to 'test' before going live.

- im presuming my next steps would be - push out the environ. variable company wide. Take down the old LMtools. Bring up the new one ?..

- How do I verify it's actually using the Environ. variable correctly ?. We have some users that dont like to reboot their cad machines and just goto standby.. would they have to reboot ?

- I deleted a .LIC file for AutoCAD 2014 And forced my variable to point to a BAD server.. it still came up.. im presuming due to the current lmtools server working fine.

- What if two LMTools servers come up with the exact same license file..but on two different servers on the same network ?

Basically im looking for 'best practice' here... cuz if i muck this up.. I will have a lot of usually friendly CAD users at my desk.. haha

thanks much,

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
dembkod
in reply to: Bob_Ross_9999

Bob_Ross_9999

Hello, I will answer in order.

“The 'new' lmtools server is up and running. Its version 11.12.0.0 on a win 2012 R2 server.”

• Great, you need to be on this version.

“I have my GPO set up to push out the environment variable : e.g. ADSK_LICENSE_FILE=@New_SERVER  ( correct? )”

• This is the variable to use. @YOUR SERVER NAME or @YOUR SERVER IP ADDRESS

“everything look good thus far ?”

• So far, yes.

“Is there anyway to 'test' before going live.”

• If the server is now up and running, install the software on a machine, but point to the old server. Then enter the variable to this machine and it should redirect to the new machine. You can verify in LMTOOLS

“ im presuming my next steps would be - push out the environ. variable company wide. Take down the old LMtools. Bring up the new one ?.”

• Bring up the new license server first. Verify the licenses are running with a “Perform Status Enquiry”. This will prevent downtime. Once the new server is running, you can start to redirect with the variable. When you can verify people are pushing to the new server, decommission the old one.

“How do I verify it's actually using the Environ. variable correctly ?”

• Open the program, click Help > About > Product Information > Licensing. Should list the new server.
  • Open LMTOOLS and click “Perform Status Enquiry” this will list licenses and if people have them checked out.

We have some users that dont like to reboot their cad machines and just goto standby.. would they have to reboot ?

• The machine does not need a reboot for the variable itself to work, but to push the variable – your infrastructure, may need this. But the variable itself does not need it.

I deleted a .LIC file for AutoCAD 2014 And forced my variable to point to a BAD server.. it still came up.. im presuming due to the current lmtools server working fine.

• There are multiple places our programs look to get information on where to look for a license. This file is one of them. Deleting it will make it use a differnet method, registry or variable. Variable should be the master override

What if two LMTools servers come up with the exact same license file..but on two different servers on the same network ?

• Wherever the program finds a file first, it will pull a license. So, if you enter multiple servers in the license variable, it will stop when it gets one. If the variable says new server and the registry says old server, it should pull from the new place.

Thank you for taking part in our community!

David Dembkoski
Message 3 of 3
Bob_Ross_9999
in reply to: dembkod

Thank you !.

I appreciate the help a great Deal.

So it sounds like It causes no issues having TWO lmtools servers up on the same network.. on two different servers ? using the SAME license file.

I understand each license file needs to be geared towards a specific MAC and Server name.

So I just keep them both up and running until I have them all moved over to the new server ?.. then decommission the old one ?

thanks again !

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report