Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LM License Server Migration

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
kevin.bailey
378 Views, 1 Reply

LM License Server Migration

Hello,

My office is working on moving to a new site. During this move we are upgrading all of our hardware to allow for expansion in the near future. With the upgrades we are obviously putting our current License Server in storage and moving all of our services between two new servers we are bringing in.

My question is, what is the best way to migrate the LM License Server from one server to another? Am I able to request the .lic file now and bring the new server up before I bring the old server down? How do I change the client computers to look for the new license server instead of the old?

None of these steps are documented very well at all so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
TravisNave
in reply to: kevin.bailey

Absolutely.  Get your new NLM installed and set up with your new license file from Autodesk and then when you are ready, retire your existing NLM and point the new clients to the new server.  You can do this with a system environment variable to automate the process.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=8385605&linkID=9240617

Alternately, the client will ask where the new NLM is found if it can't find the one it usually uses.  You can just put the name of the server in the License Finder box.

Please call Autodesk Product Registration and Authorization to get your new license file:

http://en.autodesk.ca/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=9719649&id=9830778

1-800-551-1490 > Option 1 (English) > Option 2 > (Network)

You will need to provide your serial number and ethernet ID of the new license server.  Note that new servers use IPv6, so you should read my IPv6 fix if you run into any problems because of this.

Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report