Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licenses have me puzzled

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Simon_Weel
409 Views, 2 Replies

Licenses have me puzzled

It's that time of year subscription users can download new versions of AutoCAD and Revit Suite release 2013. They both come with a new serial number.
For AutoCAD, we have subscription for 3 licenses. For Revit Arch. Suite we have subscription for 6 licenses. Before installing stuff, I obtained license files for both AutoCAD 2013 and Revit Suite 2013 and copied those license files to the license manager folder. I then let the license manager reread the files. Performed a status inquiry. There I see 3 licenses for AutoCAD 2013 and a number of previous versions. For Revit Suite 2013 and a number of previous versions, I see 6 licenses. So far so good.

Later this day, one of my colleagues tries to start AutoCAD 2011 but is presented a license error. Weird, because there should be 3 + 6 = 9 licenses for AutoCAD and they're not all in use. When I remove the new license files and perform a reread, things are back to 'normal' - i.e. my colleague can start AutoCAD 2011 without error.

To get things clear, I've been reading KB articles about combining license files, so they will properly cascade. I gave it a try, and combined all license files into one. But the result is the same as when I added the release 2013 licenses. So again, I rolled things back.

I wonder if the license mechanism works as I think it works? Suppose we have 3 licenses for AutoCAD and 6 licenses for Revit Suite. We are going to install both Revit 2013 and AutoCAD 2013 on 12 pc’s. Those pc's already have AutoCAD 2011 and Revit 2012, installed with 'old' serialnumbers:
• Obtain a license file for Revit Suite, serial ABC.
• Obtain a license file for AutoCAD, serial XYZ.
• Install Revit 2013 on 12 pc’s using serial ABC.
• Install AutoCAD 2013 on 12 pc’s using serial XYZ.
• AutoCAD 2010 – 2013 can be started simultaneously on 9 pc’s.
• Revit 2010 – 2013 can be started simultaneously on 9 pc’s.

As said, this is how I think it works, but apparently it doesn’t? When AutoCAD 2011 is started on 3 pc's, I can't start it on number four. Can anybody explain if, and why, I’m wrong?

Simon

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
TravisNave
in reply to: Simon_Weel

Serial numbers don't matter on the installs for network licensing.  What error number are you getting on the 2011 client when launching?  Your Subscription license for 2013 should allow you to continue running 2011. 

Post your status enquiry from LMTOOLS here.  Worst case, PM me your combined .LIC file.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 3
DarrenP
in reply to: Simon_Weel

the license manager also needs to be updated every year just like the license files

the latest version is 11.10: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=18610121&linkID=12305695

try updating that and see if it works

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report