Installation & Licensing

7 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 1 of 28
Accepted Solution

License was not obtained Tried Maya 2012, error 20

39907 Views, 27 Replies
12-21-2011 06:47 AM

It seems that other people got this message about a license error when starting maya 2012:

License was not obtained

Tried Maya 2012 (657D1 2012.0.0.F), error 20

License method:

environment variable MAYA_LICENSE_METHOD='standalone'

Product choice:

environment variable MAYA_LICENSE='unlimited'

License file override:

environment variable MAYA_ALT_EN is not set

the solutions in many threads are referred to win os, but I run maya 2012 in a MacBookPro6,2 with Mac OSX 10.6.8

Thanks in advance for any help,

best

Sergio

Hi  everyone,

I FINALLY FOUND A SOLUTION to fixing the error "License was not obtained
Tried Maya 2011 (657C1 2011.0.0.F), error 20" and I thought I would share. 

I have been trying to solve this for two weeks straight, looking through all the forums, and going back and forth with Autodesk, all to no avail. Finally, I found a solution. Here it is. 

You need delete the file Maya.env which can be found below. This file is corrupt and is preventing you from booting up Maya. Even after you have uninstalled the software, it will still remain there, that is why uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work. You have delete this Maya.env file and when you start up maya again, it will generat a new Maya.env and then it should work. 

home user folder (not the hard drive) > Library > Preferences > Autodesk > maya > 2012 -x64 > Maya.env

If you need any help, feel free to email me directly at Johnnythaitran@gmail.com because I went to highs and lows to find a solution and I would want the same done for me. I hope this message finds you if you are looking for a solution.

Johnny 

7 Posts
4 Kudos
Post 2 of 28

Re: License was not obtained Tried Maya 2012, error 20

01-30-2012 07:56 PM in reply to: arkiwave

Hi  everyone,

I FINALLY FOUND A SOLUTION to fixing the error "License was not obtained
Tried Maya 2011 (657C1 2011.0.0.F), error 20" and I thought I would share. 

I have been trying to solve this for two weeks straight, looking through all the forums, and going back and forth with Autodesk, all to no avail. Finally, I found a solution. Here it is. 

You need delete the file Maya.env which can be found below. This file is corrupt and is preventing you from booting up Maya. Even after you have uninstalled the software, it will still remain there, that is why uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work. You have delete this Maya.env file and when you start up maya again, it will generat a new Maya.env and then it should work. 

home user folder (not the hard drive) > Library > Preferences > Autodesk > maya > 2012 -x64 > Maya.env

If you need any help, feel free to email me directly at Johnnythaitran@gmail.com because I went to highs and lows to find a solution and I would want the same done for me. I hope this message finds you if you are looking for a solution.

Johnny 

*Expert Elite*
10,937 Posts
904 Kudos
Post 3 of 28

01-31-2012 08:03 AM in reply to: johnnythaitran

For users experiencing this issue on other platforms, the Maya.env environment file can be located here:

Windows XP & 7

• C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\maya\version
  • C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\maya
  • C:\Users\username\My Documents\maya\version
  • C:\Users\username\My Documents\maya
Mac OS X

• /Users/username/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/version
  • /Users/username/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya
Linux

• ~/maya/version
  • ~/maya

Additional resources for Maya should be found at the AREA discussion forum here:

http://area.autodesk.com/forum

2 Posts
5 Kudos
Post 4 of 28

01-31-2012 01:54 PM in reply to: arkiwave

I found the maya file, deleted it and it's regenerated. However, the problem remains...

I  have reinstalled, that didnt work. I made a environmental variable, that changed the error to a different one. I'm back to sqaure one.

This is pathetic if you ask me. I simply hit Next accept. Nothing fancy. How do you expect me to fork out 3500+ dollars for a peice of crap that doesn't install.  you might as well take the trials away if it ends up costing me 2 days of research to Install a freaking peice of software. This problem has persisted for several years now.

Your software also litters trash files all over the place. The uninstalled misses so many parts it's disgusting. No wonder, there are issues.

Thanks for the rage attack.

I won't spend another minute unless someone helps me out. I've had enough of trying to figure this out on my own.

7 Posts
4 Kudos
Post 5 of 28

01-31-2012 08:59 PM in reply to: scottbrowne22

Scott,

Hang in there homie, I feel your pain. It took me about 2 weeks of research to figure out a solution. Normally, the trials should install fine. I personally believe that there was something corrupt with the maya.env file that remains on the computer. Now I know you just said that you already deleted this file and it still doesn't work. But give it one more try. 

Which OS version are you running and what is you primary language?

Try to install this Maya 2012 service pack, it includes several updated fixes. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=18428455&linkID=9242259

After that, delete the file Maya.env, or move trash. Then, proceed to launch Maya again. Hopefully, that should work.

Good luck. Let me know if it works. 

Johnny

2 Posts
5 Kudos
Post 6 of 28

02-02-2012 12:50 PM in reply to: arkiwave

I tried. Screw it lol.

Just going to try Lightwave 3d, and/or Cinema 4d instead. I'd suggest this company fix their program.

1 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 7 of 28

02-17-2012 01:19 PM in reply to: arkiwave

I tried to find the file 'Maya.env' following your explaination but there wasn't that folder.

I think this is because my OS X version is LION. 

(the problem that maya 2012 is not installed on LION has been solved by some method, but I cannot launch the program as the same reason.)

How can I find Maya.env or other files working the same on LION?

Please help me and I will appreciate you. 

7 Posts
4 Kudos
Post 8 of 28

02-17-2012 01:34 PM in reply to: haingone

Sorry haingone, I do not know how to answer your question. Perhaps you can search for it in finder. Also, you might want to try looking up installing maya on OSX Lion, there are many compatibility fixes for this issue. 

Best,

Johnny

1 Posts
7 Kudos
Post 9 of 28

03-30-2012 03:48 PM in reply to: arkiwave

Do the following:
1. Press windows button + r to star Run and type 'services.msc'.
2. Click the 'Standard' tab on the bottom.
3. Find 'FLEXnet Licensing.. blaa' and right click for 'Stop'.
4. Right click again for properties and set 'Startup type' to 'Automatic' and press 'Start' below.
5. Apply and you are done!

From http://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36276

1 Posts
1 Kudo
Post 10 of 28

04-12-2012 09:55 AM in reply to: arkiwave

how to get to library->preferences:

in the Finder, at the top click "go", hold down ALT and "Library" will appear. 

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the future of the Autodesk Community? To participate in this brief usability study, please click here. Your time and input is greatly appreciated!