Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License Server Transition Time

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
gzang
430 Views, 2 Replies

License Server Transition Time

We are going to build a new license server.  We will retire our current license server after the new server is up and tested thoroughly.  Before I request a new license file, I want to make sure that our current license file will be still working after I request the new license file.  We have many classes using Autodesk Entertainment Suite.  We cannot have our current (old) license server down at any time. 

Can you confirm that we can run both old license server and new license server temporarily?  We need to update hundreds of client computers and make sure the existing installations point to the new license server BEFORE we can retire the old license server.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
TravisNave
in reply to: gzang

Yes, your old license server will work.  I suggest that you choose a particular cutoff date and then enable your new one and disable your old one.  Running them concurrently can cause both network problems as well as a violation to the EULA.  It will work better if you cut over at the same time rather than try to do it in smaller increments. The clients will redirect easier if it cannot resolve the old NLM.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 3
DarrenP
in reply to: TravisNave

Travis is right

you cannot have both license managers run at the same time

to get clients to point to the new server just use this

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-specify-license-se...

another option per the license agreement you can use the old server as a hotbackup server while you are testing the new one

Licensee may, at Licensee’s option, also Install the Licensed Materials on a Hot Backup Server; provided that Licensee may Access the Licensed Materials on the Hot Backup Server only during the time period when, and solely for as long as, the primary Installed copy of the Licensed Materials is inoperable and only subject to the same terms and conditions as are applicable to the primary Installed copy. A “Hot Backup Server” means a file server Computer that has a second copy of the Software and Supplemental Materials Installed but that is not permitted to be Accessible except when the primary Installed copy of the Software and Supplemental Materials are inoperable and only for so long as such primary Installed copy is inoperable. A Network License is for a perpetual term, except as otherwise provided in this Agreement.

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report