Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2
wendy.skinner
270 Views, 1 Reply

License question

Hi, I am using the Educational version of 3DS Max to develop some models that I want to make into a free educational app in the app store. As I will not be charging for the download of the app does this mean I can use the educational licence or do I need to buy a commercial licence since it will be available for download on a commercial website? Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
TravisNave
in reply to: wendy.skinner

Wendy,

This is a good question.  After reading the License Service Agreement, it is my understanding that any works may only be used in the same educational field or facility and works may not be combined with any other commercial entity.  Even though your model is not for profit, you are making it available for distribution.  Since your models will be watermarked as educational, it also means that anyone using your supplied models will also not be able to do so commercially.  So, even if it is allowed, I do not believe that providing such intellectual property will actually benefit anyone.  That is, unless under the terms of your educational license, you are using such materials for the purpose of instruction on the facilities where the software is licensed.  Furthermore, the lease on the educational license is not perpetua,l and depending on your term, will eventually expire.

You can read the entire LSA here, noting the sections about educational versions. 

http://www.autodesk.com/FY13/Suites/LSA/en-US/lsa.html

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report