Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License errors with 2014 products

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
tahdesign1
465 Views, 10 Replies

License errors with 2014 products

We have several flavors of Autodesk products (Product Design Suites, Factory Suites, Building Suite, ect) that are all standalone products.

We have purchase Vault Pro (we are moving from basic to pro).

I have built my Vault Pro Server that requires the netowrk licesne for that specific software. It has been regostered and the license file/mamager installed on the Vault server. So that side should be ready.

Now I am starting the workstation installation on the workstation of our actaul prodcuts that are all STANDALONE licenses!!!

However, even though it works for me, others users can not launch the software do to some "soft' license error that keeps coming up.

When I installled the software I am doing so with the standalone serial number that should be locking it to that machine.

PLease advise, we can not run our software at this point. We are currently on 2012 but are moving to 2014

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
TravisNave
in reply to: tahdesign1

Make sure your users have local admin rights. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 11
jessica.t

Hello!

Apologies for the licensing issues! I did some research but did not find anything specific to a "soft" license error, however we do have this page of common licensing errors that you may want to review. If this page doesn't help please me know by providing the exact error that your users are seeing. Thank you!

Jessica Thrasher
Message 4 of 11
tahdesign1
in reply to: jessica.t

Thanks I will look at that when I am back at our main site next week.

All of our users are power users and we have never had licensing issues with any of our other releases.

However, with the addition of Vault Pro 2014 there is a network licensing involved but that is just for the Vault.

The license manager and file exist soley on the Vault server.

That should not be effecting the standalone use of the design products as far as I can tell.

I have built the Vault server, patched it up to SR1 SP1 and installed the license manager.

I then installed Product Design Suite 2014 on my terminal and everything seemed to work find.

I did not installed the Vault Basic client because when I am ready I will be install the Vault Pro client.

So the software is just being installed while I work with the setups (templates, etc).

Today I call back to have a designer log into that terminal to down save a dwg for me and he could not launch the 2014 software.

The one thing that I noticed that was different in this 2014 install was that it did not ask for it to be activated when I first launch it.

So I went into the "about" screen and selected activate. However, I then got two emails showing the same activation to the same workstation.

Before building the Vault Server I had previously installed one of the suites to work with the setups.

As I remember it that time it did ask me to activate it the first time I ran it.

Could it be, now that my profile has installed the license manager for the Vault that is effecting my installation of the stand alone products?

Message 5 of 11
tahdesign1
in reply to: jessica.t

Just one more note here. That link that you sent seems to only be dealing with network licensing issues.

Although our problem does appear to be a network licensing issue it should not be since all of our design softwares are stand alone licenses.

What it appears to be is that the installation somehow believes that it is a network license even though it was given a stand alone serial number.

Message 6 of 11
TravisNave

The serial number itself does not determine installation type.  If it is asking for a network license server, then it was installed as a network version and would need to be reinstalled as a stand-alone version.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 7 of 11
tahdesign1
in reply to: TravisNave

It was not installed as a network version. All of my design software installs are as standalone products. What I mean by the SN being standalone is if you look at our contract on the subscription site the Deployment for ALL of my products BESIDES the Vault are standalone. I am back at the main site today so will see what I can do about capturing the errors that my users are getting. I ran the 2014 product this morning and did not have any issues.

Message 8 of 11
tahdesign1

So I have been responding to the Support Case that has been opened for this but I just wanted to also post the errors here others can follow.

I had the designer log into my terminal and launch AutoCAD and then Inventor to capture the errors.

With AutoCAD you get two errors. When you select close on the first one you then get the second one. Selecting OK on the second shuts down the software.

With Inventor you only get the first error. Selecting close shuts down the software.

Message 9 of 11
TravisNave

Looks like a permissions issue to me.  The software can't even provide the appropriate error code.  Make sure you are launching with local admin rights and UAC disabled. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 10 of 11
tahdesign1

UPDATE!!!!

I am not sure if I can state this as the solution yet but I think I may have found the issue.

Like I had said, I did not see this issue until I (my profile) had installed and configured the license manager on my Vault Server. The Vault product is the only product on our contract that has a network license. All other products are standalone.

The errors that were being shown seemed to be indicating that the software was looking for the license server for it's authorization. Since it was install as a standalone product it should not have been doing that. I also noticed that the authorization behavior had changed from before I had installed the license manager to after that time. Before I had messed with the Vault build the standalone product asked to be authorized the first time it was run. After I had done the Vault build, the software just seemed to have already authorized itself upon just being installed. I had never seen that type of authorization behavior from any of our standalone products in the past.

So he is what I did to see if it was my profile effecting this:

1) I pushed off the 2014 license and then uninstalled all the 2014 product (Product Design Suite Premium in this case)

2) I went into the registry and deleted ALL Autodesk keys from my profile (Current User)

3) I then deleted ALL Autodesk content areas from my user/appdata directories

4) I logged in and out of the machine a couple of times to make sure my network profile picked up that I had clean it of all Autodesk content

5) I then installed the 2014 products as I had always done in the past

6) When it was finished it asked to be authorized the first time it was run as it always had in the past

7) I then had one of my designers come and log inot the terminal to run the product and it ran with no issue.

So I believe the root issue here is something that is added to the users profile once you have installed and configured the license manager. If you are like myself and have standalone products, it makes them believe that they are some how a network licensed product. So moving forward I will have to see if it was just the installation of the license manager that does this or if I log back into my Vault server (where it resides) does it mess my profile up again.

I will now go back to another group that I had this same issue with on a Building Design Suite that we were trying to blame the workstation for. Thankfully the IT dept has not rebuilt it yet so hopefully this procedure will work there as well.

Message 11 of 11
jessica.t

Thank you for the follow up, @Anonymous!

Hopefully your feedback will help others in the community! Smiley Happy

Jessica Thrasher

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report