Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License borrowing after domain name change not working

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jasonnichol3086
342 Views, 5 Replies

License borrowing after domain name change not working

Recently, we underwent a total server meltdown and had to basically set up a new domain. Since then, our Navisworks installs on local machines will not validate a license from the license server, which was unaffected.

The server name has not changed at all, and so the license file has not changed at all either. There is no domain name referred to in the license file, both it and the program itself both ask for the license server name only,  so it wouldnt seem to affect the validation of a license. A server status check shows it up and running, and plenty of licenses waiting to be used, but nobody can check one out.

I tried turning off all firewalls, everything. Nothing works. Would changing the domain name (the only thing that has changed) affect the license process?  Any help on this would be appreciated

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
DarrenP
in reply to: jasonnichol3086

can you ping the license server by hostname?

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
DarrenP
in reply to: DarrenP

you say the hostname didn't change

but did the mac address change?

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6

Yes, I can ping the server, it reports back just fine. I've also set an exception in the domain firewall as well, just in case. Tho that never was a problem previously. Sever 2's mac address, the one referenced in the license file, did not change in any way.

This is what happened:

There are two servers, the main server (server1) and a data server(server2). Server 1 went down, so it was replaced. The LMtools licensing software resides on server2, and that server was untouched by the meltdown. Nothing changed. However, afterwards we cannot get licenses from server 2 to authenticate on users computers.

That's what is puzzling - the only thing that changed is the domain name, yet the domain name is not called out in the license file, or the program itself. They just look for server2, and it's there and functional. Status report is asdkflex server up 11.7, all that.

Message 5 of 6
DarrenP
in reply to: jasonnichol3086

is there an error message that pops up on the client machines when you open up an autodesk product that is pointing to the license server?

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
jasonnichol3086
in reply to: DarrenP

first box i get is not specifically an error, it simply asks me to either specify  the server license system or the file itself. This box is doom and false hope, as you know, because you can put the name of the server, the server.domain.local, whatever - if you get that box youre gonna get an error.

Then I get the error -15.570.0  "valid license could not be..." as expected

I even went down and redid the service just now on the server, and pinged my machine from there and it worked. Very frustrating

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report