Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legal method to export existing 3ds max models

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Keyser_Soze
636 Views, 1 Reply

Legal method to export existing 3ds max models

I downloaded some 3ds max creative commons models and animations that I'd like to export to collada. The models were created in a  licensed version of 3ds max. I have a student license of 3ds max. I just want to open the files and export them as collada files, I won't be editing the models or animations. I was wondering which of the following would be a legal / cheap solution if I want to use them in an online flash game.

1. It might be ok to just export from the student version because I'm not making any changes and the original files were  already created in a fully licensed version?

2. There might be a converter like the stand alone 3ds to fbx converter (I haven't been able to find one and I doubt it exists).

I only need to use it for a couple of days but the 90 day project license is cheap enough for me to try. Unfortunately the models also use  plugins for the textures which only work in 2011. If I did buy it then I also have the following options.

3. Maybe it's ok to just export from the student edition if I have a 90 day project license (install 2013 but never use it, only export files during the 90 day period).

4. The models should open in 2013 but will lose the textures because of the missing plugins. I could import it into 2013  and then manually update the textures (need to get the texture names from 2011 student edition) then export from 2013. I'm  sure it should be legally ok to just check the texture names but it's a bit of a hassle.

Thanks in advance and I'd appreciate any other suggestions you might have.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
TravisNave
in reply to: Keyser_Soze

I understand your concern, but legally you cannot use the educational version for any type of commercial or for-profit work at all.  Any work done in the educational version will be stamped.  There's never a good reason to poison your commercial work with an educational product. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report