Installation & Licensing

Installation & Licensing

Contributor
achapin
Message 1 of 5 (449 Views)

Lab Environment With Multiple Users Having Issues With Windows 7

449 Views, 4 Replies
10-11-2011 02:36 PM

We recently upgraded our CAD lab to Windows 7 and have come across some issues.  We have a multi user classroom.  Before W7 I would install the software using the local admin account, make the customizations I needed then copy the local admin profile to the default user profile.  The students would then get all the customizations I made when they log on.

Windows 7 is very different in the way it handles profiles.  I have tried everything I can think of and still not all of the customizations, file paths, etc. are holding.  I've tried using sysprep, tried using Windows Enabler and tired a straight data copy.   

For instance, right now we can't run Inventor because the default profile didn't hold the location of the Undo directory.  Since these things are per-user changes and we have hundreds of students it is impossible to change them for every user.  

Is anyone else running the Education Master Suite 2010 and/or 2012 on Windows 7 in a lab environment like this?  Has anyone had these issues and found a way to deal with them?

Product Support
david.lau
Message 2 of 5 (425 Views)

Re: Lab Environment With Multiple Users Having Issues With Windows 7

10-13-2011 12:17 PM in reply to: achapin

We get this one a lot for Inventor.  Please check out this post:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Imaging-Inventor-and-Current-Undo-Folder/td-p/276233...

David Lau
Contributor
achapin
Message 3 of 5 (419 Views)

10-13-2011 12:25 PM in reply to: achapin

Thanks for the info, but the link only applies to XP.  I've been doing that very thing up until this year when we migrated to Windows 7. 

Contributor
achapin
Message 4 of 5 (410 Views)

10-13-2011 01:47 PM in reply to: achapin

A little more info...I need a way for these changes to be in place when the user sits down.  We have several hundred students and having them all run a command or xml file or regedit isn't feasable.  Additionally, our computers are frozen with Faronics DeepFreeze so any changes a user might make will revert overnight when the comptuers reboot. 

Product Support
david.lau
Message 5 of 5 (406 Views)

10-13-2011 01:52 PM in reply to: achapin

I think you are just customizing Inventor with a non profile specific folder.  i.e. C:\InventorTemp.  You will  need to create a C:\InventorTemp folder on your Windows 7 computer.

David Lau
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.