Installation & Licensing

Installation & Licensing

pbarnak
Message 11 of 19 (901 Views)

Re: Inventor View 2013 File Associations

12-13-2012 11:31 AM in reply to: nlbisd

:smileylol:

OK. I figured out how to get the extensions to associate with Windows Explorer when Inventor View 2013 is installed and you do not use Inventor 2013. Thanks to the other posts that I read and I was able to add on too. I have uploaded a word document detailing each step. You will have to manually set the extensions, but once done they held and I was able to open the files from my desktop from my shortcuts. I am using Windows XP but it should work on Windows 7. Use at your own risk but it is not hard.

Step 1

1. Install Inventor View 2013 and SP1. I did keep Inventor View 2012 installed or reinstalled it.
  2. For good measure, reboot your computer after each installation
  3. Go to Control Panel>Folder Options>File Types.
  4. Find IDW to start with and highlight it then click on Advance.
  5. Click on New and enter the following:
  •   Action-Name it open
  •   Application used to perform action (make sure it looks just like this with the quotation marks)
  •         "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor View 2013\Bin\InventorView.exe" "%1"
  •   Check Use DDE
  •   Application: InventorView
  •   T opic: System
  •  Once done click on OK

Image2

1. Click on advance again to change the icon that will show up in windows explorer
  •  Click on Change Icon
  • Use this path to get to the icons and choose which one you want.
  • C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor View 2013\Bin\InventorView.exe

Image3

1. Go back to file extension list and find the one IDW,DWG (this should be right under idw)

Delete this extension.

You will also have to associate all IAM, IPT, etc. files the same way as IDWs.

Autodesk NEEDS to correct their mistake ASAP. Problems like this can make you loose customers.

pbarnak
Message 12 of 19 (882 Views)

Re: Inventor View 2013 File Associations

12-14-2012 10:31 AM in reply to: nlbisd

I wanted to post an update.

Windows took away the Files Tab GUI, so my last instructions is for Windows XP.

To make the changes in Windows 7, I had to edit the registry.

First make a back up of the registry. (If you do not know what you are doing then get the help of an IT pro or someone who knows how to make changes in the registry. Do this at your own risk!)

Search the registry for any Inventorview 2012 entries. I find about 4 of them that deals with the files extensions like IDW, IPN, IAM and IPT.

Change the entry from 2012 to 2013. This worked for me.

I did not change any other entries that said like last used program Inventerview 2012.

Only change the 2012 to 2013. Make sure the entry looks like this.

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor View 2013\Bin\InventorView.exe" "%1"

I just updated a newer computer with Windows 7 and all I had to do is go into Windows Explorer and right mouse click on the file and clicked on properties. On the first tab is has a button to change the program. I changed it to Inventor View 2013 and it worked fine. (You might have to browse to the proper exe file if this step does not work)

If you want to change the icons, then you will have to Google search and find the directions on how to change them in the registry.

*Expert Elite*
Mark_Wigan
Message 13 of 19 (170 Views)

Re: Inventor View 2013 & 2014 File Associations

07-27-2014 07:37 PM in reply to: nlbisd

ok from what i can see in the past few weeks of installing inventorview 2014 on about 6 win 7 64bit computers, this file association is still not working.

i have read through many of the Fixes and right now trying several methods to resolve this so far to no avail, and spending a lot of time trying to get this sorted.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if Solved - it may help others)

PDSU 2015 Windows 8.1, 64bit.

*Expert Elite*
Mark_Wigan
Message 14 of 19 (161 Views)

07-28-2014 04:08 AM in reply to: nlbisd

as of tonight i am happy to report that this regedit import works well for the 2014 inventorview that nlbisd posted for the group!

(i downloaded his file & did a replace all on 2013 in favour of 2014, and  i am glad to say that the settings are for the most part still relevant for a win7 64bit pc).

in hindsight, i have to say that to me this inability to associate files in not consistent. i have about 8 users who do not run inventor or vault, who need inventorview to associate with inv files. these are the problem computers. even after carrying out various attempts to resolve the issue (noted in several places through the forumns) there was no success. Same goes even after installing inventor, the associations to inventorview 2014 were not able to be set.

Also, on 3 or 4 other pc's where we installed inventor and vault, the associations to inventorview 2014 seemed to stick just fine if we wanted to test it for comparison & troubleshooting.

it doesn't make that much sense and i cannot pinpoint the real cause, apart from what nlbisd mentioned that perhaps the developers overlooked something? anyway, his registry import file did the job on the "hard to fix" pc's.

if anything comes to light i will send an update. As said earlier by others, there is some kinda oversight after inventorview2012 that the devs still need to fix.

best regards,
- Mark

Employee
NathanLos
Message 15 of 19 (144 Views)

07-30-2014 07:03 PM in reply to: Mark_Wigan
Hi,

I just learned of this issue while browsing recent changes to the forum. Thanks for bumping it.

Although I'm not directly responsible for Inventor View, I want to figure out what we can do to resolve this. I will escalate this problem with the Product Support, QA, and Development teams, and will pressure them for a fix. Since we're looking at modifying installation and registration behavior, existing releases probably won't be modified. A future release is a more likely candidate for a fix.

I'll post again when there's information to share.

Thanks,
Nathan
Autodesk Inventor Platform Team

Nathan Los
Principal Engineer
DLS-Mechanical Design
Autodesk, Inc.
mhenson
Message 16 of 19 (133 Views)

07-31-2014 03:22 AM in reply to: NathanLos

I appreciate you taking an interest in this, but I do have a question.  This has been a problem for at least two years, with no response or interest from Autodesk.  How can we approach problems of this nature in the future so that someone at Autodesk will be more likely to see or work on on a fix?

nlbisd
Message 17 of 19 (129 Views)

07-31-2014 04:02 AM in reply to: mhenson

mhenson wrote:

I appreciate you taking an interest in this, but I do have a question.  This has been a problem for at least two years, with no response or interest from Autodesk.  How can we approach problems of this nature in the future so that someone at Autodesk will be more likely to see or work on on a fix?

Ditto!  One Autodesk employee already said that they were going to escalate this before 2014 came out.

nlbisd
Message 18 of 19 (122 Views)

07-31-2014 04:10 AM in reply to: Mark_Wigan

Mark_Wigan wrote:

ok from what i can see in the past few weeks of installing inventorview 2014 on about 6 win 7 64bit computers, this file association is still not working.

i have read through many of the Fixes and right now trying several methods to resolve this so far to no avail, and spending a lot of time trying to get this sorted.

I found that every time that Inventor View is run, it tries to re-register the faulty file associations thereby changing the registry entries for the next time you log off and back on. As long as you stay logged in, it will typically continue to work (by nature of the way Explorer.exe handles file associations). I've setup my registry entries to be applied from group policy every time a user logs in.  This keeps it working.

Kind Regards

*Expert Elite*
Mark_Wigan
Message 19 of 19 (92 Views)

08-07-2014 10:22 PM in reply to: NathanLos

thanks Nathan

best regards,
- Mark

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.