Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor LT 2011 won't start on my Windows 7 32 bit machine

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
529 Views, 18 Replies

Inventor LT 2011 won't start on my Windows 7 32 bit machine

I own Inventor LT 2011 and 6 months ago or so it was working fine on my 32 bit Windows 7 machine, but I haven't run it for a while. However when I tried to start it today it popped up a Windows dialog complaining about some error that I beleive had the word COMM in it.

I tried restarting it, this time no dialog, the disc chugs for a while but the program never comes up, no message at all.

I tried Repairing from the Control panel, same problem, then tried Reinstalling from the Control Panel, same problem, it chugs for a while but never comes up, no error message displayed.

I really need to use the program to revise some design files, please let me know what I need to do to get it running again.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
hashim.mundol
in reply to: Anonymous

Try a windows update,

If you can't uninstall in the normal way please try manual uninstall method (using revo uinstaller or msizap)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!
For more tips & tricks: http://upandready.typepad.com

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: hashim.mundol

I installed the latest Win 7 updates, including SP 1. I also totally uninstalled Inventor LT 2011 and then re-installed it from my product CD's.

It will now start and I can load and view my projects.

But if I click the "satellite" icon to check for software updates, the first time I click this I always get a consistent Windows error dialog displaying one or more of the messages below in a Windows dialog asking if I want to start the debugger:

An unhandled win32 exception occurred in WSCommCntr2.exe [4936] and [3228] [4288] [3228] [4936], etc.

If I cancel out of those messages (sometimes one, sometimes several) and click on the satellite icon again, this time is shows a dropdown with "news" but there are no message about the update status of the program.

Since I know there were updates since the CD version I installed it should be showing those so I can download them and get the latest version installed.

What do I need to do to fix this?

Message 4 of 19
hashim.mundol

WSCommCntr2.exe tries to connect to the internet to get updates/rss feeds etc. if you have any security software preveting this you will have similar behaviour.

please try to run the software in diagnostics mode with license service enabled.

alternatively you could rename this exe "WSCommCntr2.exe" to .old, which will disable the communication functionality.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous

I have a lot of other software that connects over the internet to check for updates and that all works fines so I don't think the security softtware is causing the WSCommCntr2.exe program to crash.

An "About" shows that I have the following version installed:

Build: 239, Release: 2011 RTM - Date: Wed 02/17/2010

So I'm assuming this isn't the most recent release of the software.

We paid $1200. for this software, and as a small company that was a large expense for us. I'd like to have it be working correctly with the most recent version installed without having to do any hacks to get it done, can you please help us get the problem fixed without having to disable anything?

Message 6 of 19
KevinHu_PDMS_Vault

Hi, there is no service pack for Inventor LT 2011, only some hotfix that you can patch them if you needed.http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/index?siteID=123112&id=2334435&linkID=14002999#section1

if you cannot launch Inventor because of wscommcntr2.exe error, please refer to this link http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15228698&linkID=9240617

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: KevinHu_PDMS_Vault

Kevin-

Thanks for that information but all it tells me how to do is to "kill" the process that runs the Info center process, thus disabling it, similar to the earlier suggestion to rename that .exe program.

Fellas, at $1200. this is the most expensive software our company has purchased.

I'd like to see it run correctly, without having to do any hacks to disable the communication facility, which also disables the help search field.

I don't think this is expected too much for $1200. software, can someone help me get this running correctly?

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous

If no one else here can help me, can you at least point me to the correct procedure to get this problem resolved?

I can't used the interactive help feature at all now in the product.

For a product that we paid $1200. for that's just not acceptable, please, can someone help me get this product running correctly.

Message 9 of 19
hashim.mundol

Hi

Sorry to hear that you still have trouble with the software, since you mentioned com errors earlier,

I would suggest you run a windows repair before try to troubleshoot the software itself.

before running windows repair you could try sfc /scannow to identify any issues with windows

If you still have trouble, please reinstall Inventor LT.

If the installation goes fine and if you still have issues, we could try to debug Inventor and wscommctr issues.

OR the easiest fix i mentioned earlier, it should only disable the web updates and feeds, help should work fine.

rename this file WSCommCntr2.exe to WSCommCntr2.old 

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 19
Anonymous

I've already done a full remove and full re-install of Inventor.

I've also installed all the recent updates for Windows 7, including the recent SP1.

The performance of Inventor was the same both before and after the WIndows updates, ie the Inventor communcation program consistently crashes.

I have a lot of other programs on the PC that do similar Internet communcations between an application and various web servers, and none of these other programs are having any problems.

As I've already stated, I understand that by manually changing the name of your .exe file that is crashing that I can disable this feature.

That's not what I'm asking for. I want our $1200. software to fully function correctly, including the ability to use the interactive help feature. Its an important feature that I found to be very useful and time saving.

I don't think its asking too much to have my software functioning correctly without disabling a key feature, what do I need to do to get this problem resolved?

Message 11 of 19
KevinHu_PDMS_Vault

Hi,

you can have a try to find your Inventor LT install source DVD or files. open "x86\Inventor\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared" find the file "liveupdate16.dll". then go to your Windows 7 32 bit machine, open "...\program files\Common files\Autodesk Shared", replace liveupdate16.dll with which you copied from souce DVD or files. (if you encounter the file is using message, open task manager, find WSCommCntr2.exe and end this process)

try to see if the satellite works

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous

I looked at the install DVD but the files there aren't available individually, they are just the large installation archives there.

I'm not sure why this would possibly help anyway, I just fully removed and then re-installed Inventor from the DVD so it would have just installed this file anyway, correct?

Is there some mechanism besides this forum to get help to fix this problem?

For the $1200. expenditure we made, having to run a crippled version of it is just not right. Please there must be some mechanism to fix serious problems like this besides just disabling a key feature.

Message 13 of 19
KevinHu_PDMS_Vault

because this file liveupdate16.dll is shared and used by all Autodesk products, it will not be uninstalled even though you uninstall Inventor. when you click the satellite icon, this dll will be used

"there aren't available individually" ,do you mean you cannot copy it out from DVD?

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous

"there aren't available individually" ,do you mean you cannot copy it out from DVD?

The installation DVD just contains large archive files, it doesn't contain individual files. So there is no way for me to copy just the liveupdate16.dll file from the DVD.

Jeez, this is frustrating, if feels like were just going in circles here.

Is this the officlal way that Autodesk locates and fixes bugs with their products?

If so its very inefficient and frustrating to users of their products.

Message 15 of 19
KevinHu_PDMS_Vault

I cannot reproduce the issue on my side. it is hard for me to find the foot cause of it without the environment.

please try to download the attaced dll and replace the one on your machine I mention before. make sure backup your old one to aviod other regression by the replacing. 

if you still have the problem, please attach the log file: 

..\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Inventor LT 2011\ENU\InfoCenter.log

..\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\WebServices\

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous

My installation of Inventor LT 2011 has now gone from bad to worse.

As documented in this thread after reinstalling I was at least able to start and use it but the communication program would crash.

Now after trying to start it again today it chugs for a while but never comes up. The first time I started it, it did put up some MS crash dialogs asking if I wanted to start the debugger but now when I try to start it nothing comes up at all.

I have tried all the suggestions in this thread, including renaming the WSComm .exe files and installing the new Live dll that was posted in a reply but still nothing upon startup.

This is pretty bad, I really needed to use the software today. We're a small company and the $1200. we paid for this software was a major expense but its been nothing but trouble. I have a ton of ofter software packages on this system and ever other program works fine so its not an issue of something being wrong with this PC.

Having to go through a re-install to use the program every time I need it is just not acceptable.

What are the steps I need to take to get the program functioning correctly, is there an official way to request support other than this forum?

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous

After installing the trial version of Inventor LT 2012, Inventor 2011 LT is now functioning correctly so it must have updated some files that were required for Inventor LT 2011 to run properly.

I don't really want to leave the trial version of Inventor LT 2012 installed as it burns up a lot of disc space, if I uninstall Inventor LT 2012 is it going to roll back the files that it updated that fixed my Inventor LT 2011 problem?

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous

Inventor LT 2011 is now running after uninstalling Inventor LT 2012 but none of the online help features work, when I try to use those I just get a crash window from Microsoft.

I'd really like this $1200. package to work correctly, can someone please tell we what the procedure is to have get some help to get this software functioning properly?

Message 19 of 19
hashim.mundol

Sorry for the trouble you have with Inventor LT.

We have escalated this case internally and someone will get back to you

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report