Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing the FlexNet agent on a FlexLM Licensing Server

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
timsparks6941
2494 Views, 6 Replies

Installing the FlexNet agent on a FlexLM Licensing Server

Are there any issues related to installing a FlexNet agent on an existing FlexLM license server? Will the agent's service interfere with the licensing?

AutoDesk support states that they've never tried it, they've searched the world over and can not find anyone that has either and are encouraging me to go ahead and post my results, ie...they would love to see if I hose all of my AutoCad seats worldwide.  I would prefer to know first whether there are any issues or not.

Silly me....

anyone?...Jerry M?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
TravisNave
in reply to: timsparks6941

What are you trying to accomplish?

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 7
timsparks6941
in reply to: TravisNave

We have aquired a company that is using FlexNet for their AutoDesk product.  I was told that we can add our daemon to the FlexNet and get reporting without any additional cost.  If we add a different product like Tekla then there is an additional cost.  I was told that all I would need to do is install the agent on the license server and his FlexNet should be able to pick it up.  Of couse there are domain and configuration issues, but I think we have that figured out.

Before I install the agent I want to make sure it is not going to interfere with the licensing on that server.

I would assume that FlexLM and the FlexNet agent are compatible, but it's too big of a risk to take with all of our global AutoCad seats at stake.

Currently, we have reporting on so we have an .RL file that can be queried.

Thanks for the quick response.  I've been reading your posts.

Tim

Message 4 of 7
TravisNave

Yeah, I don't see why this would cause a problem in any way. You can run
multiple vendors as well as different licencing solutions like the Flex
Administrator. I understand your concerns but I suspect you will be just
fine. Unless you kill your service or block your ports, nothing can break.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 7
timsparks6941

Thanks for you quick reply.

I feel better about installing the agent now.

I did see where on one of your posted (on the installation) it was stated that the FlexNet should not be used on a server that is handling different vendors or did I get that wrong?

"In addition to the Autodesk Network License Manager, Autodesk products can be configured to use the 3rd party Flexera FLEXnet License Administrator service to manage licenses for the Autodesk network applications.  Other vendors may also use the FLEXnet service.  Therefore, it is important to recognize that if other vendors are using the FlexLM (LMTOOLS) then you should not run the web-interface FLEXnet in conjunction with it.  Only one license manager type should be used for all products."

Is this if you were wanting to install FlexNet on a server that is already running FlexLM?

I guess this goes to my concern and wondering if that is true for the agent as well...

Thanks,

Tim

Message 6 of 7
TravisNave

I posted that because the LMTOOLS lmgrd service and FlexNet Admin both use
port 27000 as the master daemon. Technically you can run them together... I
do. But for the casual user, it's best to use one or the other. I doubt
you'll have any problema. And if you do, well, you got me. 😉

Autodesk Forums:
Message 7 of 7
timsparks6941

thanks again for your help...

hopefully I won't need to come back to you...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report