Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Revit Error

40 REPLIES 40
Message 1 of 41
5dunhams
12454 Views, 40 Replies

Installing Revit Error

While installing Revit 2014 Student Version I get the error the media does not contain content and will be downlaoded during instalation while configuring the installation. It "installs" but says some products failed to install. Both Revit and the Materials Library failed to install. Any idea how to fix?

40 REPLIES 40
Message 2 of 41
TravisNave
in reply to: 5dunhams

You'll have to post your installation log to help determine the failure.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 41
5dunhams
in reply to: TravisNave

Message 4 of 41
TravisNave

Error 1618 is one of those weird ones where the installer thinks another installation is already in progress.  You might reboot and try the installation again. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 41
5dunhams
in reply to: TravisNave

I have restarted the computer, intalled all windows updates and closed every other program and it still wont install

Message 6 of 41
Tony_Michniewicz

As Travis noted, the 1618 error typically occurs when Windows views another installation process as active.  A good way to test this would be to create a new Windows user account, then reboot, log into the new account and run the installation.  Prior to trying this, I would recommend running Microsoft FixIt to ensure that Windows does not consider Revit to be installed already.  I would also recommend deleting the contents of the Windows temp folder, which can be accessed by typing %temp% in Windows Explorer.

If these suggestions don't help, you may want to try downloading the Revit installation again.  I say this because the first failure in your log file was during the decompressing of the Revit installation files.  Actually, I'm thinking you may have already downloaded a new copy of the install files because I only saw this failure during the first installation attempt.

Tony Michniewicz

Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Revit Software QA Analyst
Message 7 of 41
unique.creator

error in instation, that is solution?

Message 8 of 41

Without an installation log file, it is difficult to identify what caused the failure in this instance but my first suggestion would be to disable Design Review.  I've seen many instances where Revit and the Autodesk Material Library installs fail because of problems during the Design Review install.

Tony Michniewicz

Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Message 9 of 41
5dunhams
in reply to: Tony_Michniewicz

I have now tried installing Revit 2012, 2013 and 2014 none of which have worked. I have disabled my firewalls, added autodesk to trusted sites and disabled design review.

Message 10 of 41
Tony_Michniewicz

Based on your latest log file, it appears that some of the Revit pre-requisites are failing to install.  Since there are many common pre-requisites for Revit 2012, 2013 and 2014, this may be the root of your installation problems.  My suggestion would be to install each of the pre-requisites ahead of time and then try the Revit 2014 installation again.  Here is a list of the pre-requisite installs and where you can access them within the Revit 2014 install media:
3rdParty\x64\VCRedist\2008SP1\vcredist_x64.exe
3rdParty\x64\VCRedist\2008SP1.6161\vcredist_x64.exe
3rdParty\x86\VCRedist\2005\vcredist_x86.exe
3rdParty\x64\VCRedist\2005\vcredist_x64.exe
3rdParty\x86\VCRedist\2008SP1\vcredist_x86.exe
3rdParty\x86\VCRedist\2008SP1.6161\vcredist_x86.exe
3rdParty\x86\VCRedist\2010SP1\vcredist_x86.exe
3rdParty\x64\VCRedist\2010SP1\vcredist_x64.exe
3rdParty\x86\VCRedist\KB958314\ATL\vc_atlx86runtime.msi
3rdParty\x86\VCRedist\KB958314\MFC\vc_mfcx86runtime.msi
3rdParty\x86\VCRedist\KB958314\CRT\vc_crtx86runtime.msi
3rdParty\x86\VCRedist\KB958314\OpenMP\vc_openmpx86runtime.msi
3rdParty\x64\VCRedist\KB958314\ATL\vc_atlx64runtime.msi
3rdParty\x64\VCRedist\KB958314\MFC\vc_mfcx64runtime.msi
3rdParty\x64\VCRedist\KB958314\CRT\vc_crtx64runtime.msi
3rdParty\x64\VCRedist\KB958314\OpenMP\vc_openmpx64runtime.msi
3rdParty\x86\VCRedist\2005SP1ATL\vcredist_x86.exe
3rdParty\x64\VCRedist\2005SP1ATL\vcredist_x64.exe
3rdParty\NET\35SP1\wcu\dotNetFramework\Install35Net.exe
3rdParty\NET\45\wcu\dotNetFramework\dotnetfx45_full_x86_x64.exe
3rdParty\DirectX\DXSETUP.exe
3rdParty\x64\FaroSDK\FARO.LS_5.1.0.30630.msi
3rdParty\x86\FaroSDK\FARO.LS_5.1.0.30630.msi

I would recommend installing the pre-requisites in the order that I've listed since this is the order they are installed during a Revit installation.  You'll notice that my list includes the 32 and 64-bit versions of each Visual C++ Redistributable as well as FaroSDK.  You must install each version whether you are installing Revit on a 32 or 64-bit operating system.  Also, in cases where the pre-requisites is already installed, I recommend using the repair option to ensure that the installation is configured correctly.

Once all of the pre-requisites are installed, I would once again delete the files in the Windows temp folder, disable your virus protection (remember to re-enable it once the installation is complete) and then run the Revit 2014 install one more time.  If the Revit install fails again, please provide the latest version of the install log file as well as answers to the following questions:
What is the operating system on the computer that you are attempting to install Revit?
Are there any other Autodesk products installed on this computer?

Good luck and I hope this helps you to get Revit installed!!

Tony Michniewicz

Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Message 11 of 41

I'm having the same problem. My Windows is 32bit and I already have Autocad and 3dsmax installed. I don't know what to do! 

Message 12 of 41
philip.s
in reply to: aleonofri

Welcome to the community Alessandra!

As mentioned in the previous posts, an installation log is necessary to help pinpoint the specific failure cause. Would you mind attaching one when you get a chance?

Message 13 of 41
aleonofri
in reply to: philip.s

Hello Philip!

I manage to install Revit 2013, but the 2014 I tried and still didn't get it.

I attached the log so maybe you can see what's wrong.

Thanks anyway!

Message 14 of 41
aleonofri

Sorry, I think this is the log from the 2013. I can't find the log of the 2014.
I will try again and send to you.
Message 15 of 41
philip.s

Sounds good Alessandra!

Message 16 of 41
paul.alcos

Im getting this kind of problem too, I tried to dowload Revit 2014 twice but it keeps saying "the media does not contain content and will be downloaded during installation". Please help!

Message 17 of 41

This is an informative message and not an error that would cause the Revit installation to fail.  In this scenario, the message is informing you that the installer that you've downloaded does not contain Revit content files.  This is done to reduce the size of the installer that needs to be downloaded.  The message also lets you know that the Revit content files will be downloaded during the installation process.  As long as you have an active internet connection, you should not experience any problems with your installation of Revit.

Tony Michniewicz

Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Message 18 of 41

kindly help.Installation failure.

Message 19 of 41

Install	Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x86)	Failed	Installation aborted, Result=216

Your product is failing to install because the prerequiste program required by the installer is failing prior to the installation of your Autodesk software.

If the prerequisite program already exists on your computer, it is likely newer than the one the Autodesk installer is attempting to install. Please uninstall the prerequisite program causing the issue and run your installer again.

For more information about this process, please see my KB link here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Some-Products-Fail-to-Install-Result-1603/td-p/...

The prerequisite is not already installed and installation still fails, then you may need to make an advanced edit to the setup.ini file to ignore the error. Please make sure you manually install the prerequisite file from Microsoft and then modify the setup.ini file accordingly.

For more information on this process, please see my KB article here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Install-NET-Framework-Language-Pack-Failed-Inst...

Make sure that you have local admin rights, UAC is off, Anti-virus is disabled, and that you are not installing on Windows Vista.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 20 of 41

I am trying to insatll the revit 2014 architecture .I still do not know what exactly havr to be deleted, PLease help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report