Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Maya on Ubuntu

99 REPLIES 99
Message 1 of 100
sokicki
50259 Views, 99 Replies

Installing Maya on Ubuntu

I am having difficulty installing Maya on Ubuntu
I've been tryint to install maya on my ubuntu with a lot of difficulty
1. I tried following instructions on the Autodesk website which said to simply run "sudo rpm -ivh --force Maya2014_64-2014.0-986.x86_64.rpm adlmapps7-7.0.51-0.x86_64.rpm adlmflexnetclient-7.0.51-0.x86_64.rpm" I kept getting "error: Failed dependencies: /bin/sh is needed by Maya...."
I looked up this error and apparently someone said that it's to do with the rpmDB being corrupted, so I reinstalled that with no result
2. I tried simply sunning the "./setup" and it seemed to work for a bit, actually bringing the installer window and asking for serial numbers and all that. I put in my productID and serial that I got for the windows version and it all gets accepted, but then when I click the install button, the installation just fails
3. I tried using alien, converting rpms to debs, installing them manually 1-by-1 by double clicking and going through the software installer, then doing the "sudo apt-get install" for each package, It seemed to be working, it was creating the files and directories where it's supposed to go, but I still wasn't able to actually RUN maya
4. I found a script on here: https://gist.github.com/insomniacUND...Elemon/5555214 but when I tried running it it had errors and wouldn't work, so I followed along with the commands but I get to the "license" section and I don't know what to do
I've been at this for like a good solid week and I really need maya for projects

Please can someone help me out.

99 REPLIES 99
Message 21 of 100
kettlefish
in reply to: Algomorph

That's unfortunate Smiley Sad

Sorry I didn't work for you, I must admit I don't know what to suggest, as I'm not entirely certain why it worked for me.  As the Barx said the method used on the page I posted is pretty much the same as other methods just that the rpms are installed manually rather than using alien.  The reason I found that page was because I decided to try installing again with a newer service pack, but for some reason Alien wouldn't create the deb files, it just created folders.  I hope you get it fixed soon, if I come across anything I'll post it.

Kettle

Message 22 of 100
kettlefish
in reply to: thebarx

The mental ray problem is an easy fix:

solution here: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Mental-ray-i...

Basically the metalray.mod file doesn't have the correct path the the mental ray directory.

Message 23 of 100
Dragoby
in reply to: sokicki

Thanks for the guide, ive been having issues getting this to work, it works fine through all of the steps but as soon as i run "sudo maya" i get the error

"/usr/autodesk/maya2014-x64/bin/maya.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory "

I cant seem to figure out how to get it to work everything seems to be working fine other than that

currently trying to install Maya 2014 sp4 on ubunut 14.04, previously tried to install 2015 with same error

Any help is apreciated

Thanks!

Message 24 of 100
thebarx
in reply to: Dragoby

You need to check which version of libssl there.

Go to  file manager, Nautilus, Caja, Thunar, Pcmanfm any of those works the same

/ usr / lib / x86_64-linux-lgnu / 

Mine is libssl.so.0.9.8, becuase I have Ubuntu 12.04. Yours must be a further version. Check your version of libssl make correct sim-link If you had the same error installing Maya 2015, you was a step closer to making it work :).

sudo ln-s  / usr / lib / x86_64-linux-gnu / "your libssl.so"  "directory to locate the library"

and That's it!

ATI Radeon HD 4290 - Propietary Drivers
Catalyst 12.6 Xorg Xserver 1.11.3
Autodesk Maya 2014 Student Version- Linux
Autodesk Mudbox 2015 Student Version- Linux
Message 25 of 100
thebarx
in reply to: kettlefish

Thanks kettlefish. I had no issues before  installing mentalray in  maya, but if I have it, I'll check your guide 😉

Message 26 of 100
thebarx

Well buddy as kettle fish says, maybe you have to uninstall Maya and it's components and make a clean installation.

If Ubuntu gives you a lot of troubles, you may use a Linux Distro as Fedora. RPM Packages are one sigle click install as Debs in Ubuntu, because  Ubuntu is a Based Debian Distribution.

I understand that you want an efficient desktop, LXDM or any lightweight desktop is in every Linux Distribution, also Unity's Canonical Desktop, or Pantheon that is the trendy desktop that use the Elementary OS.

Give a chance to an RPM distribution, for some reason Autodesk gives more support to them than a Debian Distrubution.
Cheers and good luck.

PS. Sometimes you need a closed driver for Graphic Card, and Programs like this demands to have it. Check please if you have an ATI or an NVIDIA, or Intel, and if you have ATI and some Old Nvidia cards, not the latest Kernels support the version of the card is capable to work with.

Message 27 of 100
kettlefish

Hi Dragoby

On 14.04 I believe libssl.1.0.0 should be the the default version of libssl installed.  If you have trouble locating it you can also link to the openssl version provided by autodesk, you can find it in the support folder /user/autodesk/yourMayaVersion/support/  along with a very helpful readme file.

kettle

Message 28 of 100
Algomorph

Guys, could you help me figure out what's different between our platforms? 

Maybe we can resolve the problem if we see what's causing it.

I'm running the Ubuntu Canonical 14.04 distro.

I have Nvidia Driver Version 331.38 (standard nvidia-331 package from the core Canonical repo, not the X-SWAT or the Xorg-Edgers).

However, I have libgl1-mesa-glx version 10.1.3-0ubuntu0.1 from the X-SWAT repo for some reason.

For the system shell, I have "3.13.0-34-generic", the current up-to-date standard version.

For the libc-bin / libc6 I have "Version 2.19-0ubuntu6.3".

The first readable line in the stack trace (that I posted last time) is:

OGS::Devices::GLFunctionTable::populate()

If you got Maya to work in general, can you check your libgl1-mesa-glx version? It would seem as though that may be causing the issue, although hard to say.

Message 29 of 100
kettlefish

Hey Algomorph here are my details:

Mint 17 cinnamon edition 2.2.16 (ubuntu 14.04 based)
Nvidia 331.38 standard package
libgl1-mesa-glx = 10.1.3-0ubuntu0.1
libc-bin = 2.19-0ubuntu6.3
kernel 3.13.0-24-generic

As our systems are very similar regarding packages I'm wondering if it could be an installation issue. The first time I tried I got the same problems as you but the second time after clearing it from my system I already new all of the required directorys and slight changes in paths. For example the product code for 2015 is 657G1 not 657F1 (2014), i.e. when doing:

sudo echo -e 'MAYA_LICENSE=unlimited\nMAYA_LICENSE_METHOD=standalone' > /usr/autodesk/maya2014-x64/bin/License.env

/usr/autodesk/maya2014-x64/bin/adlmreg -i S 657F1 657F1 2014.0.0.F $YOURSERIALNUMBER /var/opt/Autodesk/Adlm/Maya2014/MayaConfig.pit

It should be slightly different:

sudo echo -e 'MAYA_LICENSE=unlimited\nMAYA_LICENSE_METHOD=standalone' > /usr/autodesk/maya2015-x64/bin/License.env

/usr/autodesk/maya2015-x64/bin/adlmreg -i S 657G1 65GF1 2015.0.0.F $YOURSERIALNUMBER /var/opt/Autodesk/Adlm/Maya2015/MayaConfig.pit

Or

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/Autodesk/Adlm/R5/lib64/

should be:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/Autodesk/Adlm/R9/lib64/

I know you've probably gone through it all, so that may well not be the problem. But I think some of my problems were caused by copy and pasting commands that were meant for different versions of maya. Once I was familier with the various files and locations and made the correct substitutions it seemed to work fine. Sorry I can't be of anymore help.

I have a educational edition so I can't really complain, but for those buying it full price I would be asking autodesk for some better installation guides or even a deb package, it can't be that difficult to do surely.

kettle

Message 30 of 100
Dragoby

Hey guys

Thanks Kettlefish for the help to the support that got me a step further with getting it to work.  Im now recieving a licensing error

"environment variable MAYA_ALT_EN is not set"

seems maya wants to lauch but is unable to becaues of this

I am unable to switch to a differnet disto like fedora becauese our studio recently switched to ubunutu and I need to make this work with ubuntu so ill have to continue fighting with it for now

Thanks for the help guys

"Edit"
Hey So I tried again on the computer that I had done the 2015 install and the activation gui came up so hopefully it works on that machin

Thanks again Guys

Message 31 of 100
roma.gelman

Hey, Thanks for making this big post, but I am a newbie with Ubuntu 14.04, and I have the .tgz file of maya, but I have no idea what to do after that. Can you please help with step-by-step instructions?

Tags (4)
Message 32 of 100
kettlefish

Hey Dragoby

As you seem to have it fixed this won't matter, but thought I would add that it won't run for me if I run maya.bin, from the bin directory, I get the same error.  But it's fine if I run maya2015. 

kettle

Message 33 of 100
kettlefish
in reply to: roma.gelman

Hey Roma

I've been using linux for a while but I would still consider myself somewhat a newbie so I wouldn't want to put a list of terminal commands that might not work. I struggled with this install myself, so my advice would be to have a look around at the scripts that are available so you can see what is happening during the install.  

Of course theres the first page of this thread in which thebarx lists the steps required but theres also :

http://www.nkoubi.com/blog/tutorial/how-to-install-autodesk-maya-2011-on-debian-ubuntu/

http://nealbuerger.com/2013/05/ubuntu-13-04-maya-2014-install-script/

Even though they all deal with older versions on older operating systems, they give a description of what the steps are doing so you can figure out why each step is required.  Just be aware there are things you have to change i.e:

exportLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/Autodesk/Adlm/R9/lib64/

sudo echo -e 'MAYA_LICENSE=unlimited\nMAYA_LICENSE_METHOD=standalone' > /usr/autodesk/maya2015-x64/bin/License.env

/usr/autodesk/maya2015-x64/bin/adlmreg -i S 657G1 657G1 2015.0.0.F $SERIALNUMBER /var/opt/Autodesk/Adlm/Maya2015/MayaConfig.pit

Message 34 of 100
roma.gelman

actually, I went with barx's method, and im stuck on "for i in *.rpm; do sudo alien -cv $i;". It leaves me a new line in terminal with just ">" and nothing else. Any help? Also, the xfs package doesn't exist.

Tags (4)
Message 35 of 100
roma.gelman

Oh, crap, seems thebarx forgot the "done" command right after the semi-colon! "for i in *.rpm; do sudo alien -cv $i; done"
Message 36 of 100
thebarx

you know guys, I remind you that there are many guides that help you to achieve install Autodesk Maya on a Debian Linux like distro. I understand why autodesk guys do exe's or rpm's, or dmgs, to single click a package. I wish that one day they could recognize that Ubuntu, Mint and Debian Distros are the ones that people chooses, not a red hat. The trends points to that. 

Well there are a lot of newbies that is ok, and why not to give them a chance to taste something different, and I say, yes, why Not. Newbies don't read instructions and never check what the heck is going on with all that set of characters. Yes, well, I understand why Mac users are the kings of Lazyness, followed by  windows users, but well comfort is first, and that had make evolve way we use today things. I aprove the easyness, and blame it at the same time. Well what the heck, lets make easy the things, hahaha, no more jargon, Almost double or single click.

I added a file that you only have to open an console or terminal, unzip it, write sudo sh, then drag the sh to the terminal and hit enter, to install Maya 2014 on Ubuntu 12.04, I don't have it for latest version of Ubuntu because blame ATI because they don't support old graphic cards to latest Xorg-Server. Just write down your serial number  when console ask it to you and that's it. This shell script is not mine, is from a kind person that has wrote it an uploaded in a page, then people had passed the script in many pages, so don't complain, answer is out there.

To install the latest version, Maya 2015, it gives me tons of lazyness to do it for you hahaha, I know there are kind persons that will do that shell script for 2015 in the future, I know, But if you don't want to loose time, then, open the script with a text editor as gedit, leafpad, kate, whichever you use, and look for the new libraries you have to change to the script to make it work like magic.

libadlmPIT.so, and libadlmutil.so, changes their version in further versions.

libtiff.so, libjpeg.so, libssl.so, and libcrypto.so, always change their version depending on the version of Ubuntu you're working with, so you will have to check them how are there version's names in the folder  /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/, to do the correct symbolic links.

You want a linux distribution, fast, and easy to use? Fedora is the best for newbies. There are single click install software for everything. I remember that also they did a Stem version dor they, those guys are sharp.

But always look for the closed drivers for your Nvidia or Ati graphic card. You have to look that first before install one distribution or another.

Linux is for people that want a Fast OS, and very productive, so you have to look a little to do the right chioce.

cheers guys and happy research.

BarX 

Message 37 of 100
thebarx

Why don't we do something.

send me a PM your gmail and one day of these ones we can make a hangout to create a Party like to install Maya for newbies, hahaha

Message 38 of 100
Dragoby

Hey Guys sorry to comment then dissapear

So I did get maya 2015 to work just some mental ray problems to fix but that shouldnt be to much of an issue I hope.  Just thought id give an update and say thanks again

Dragoby

Message 39 of 100
thebarx

Good c:!!

So how many guys left to resolve their installation issues?

Message 40 of 100
Algomorph

You know, thebarx, thanks for everything, but I already sort-of gave up at this point. It wasn't me who I was trying to install it for, and I already swapped their machine for a windows one. So I'll just stick with Blender. I'll return to this when I have the time, at some point in the next few centuries, if Autodesk doesn't come up with a .deb installer by then.

I wish Max was available for Linux & Mac as well... I'm really a former Max guy, who, at some point, switched to Blender and made it work almost like Max.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report