Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Maya on Ubuntu

99 REPLIES 99
Message 1 of 100
sokicki
50151 Views, 99 Replies

Installing Maya on Ubuntu

I am having difficulty installing Maya on Ubuntu
I've been tryint to install maya on my ubuntu with a lot of difficulty
1. I tried following instructions on the Autodesk website which said to simply run "sudo rpm -ivh --force Maya2014_64-2014.0-986.x86_64.rpm adlmapps7-7.0.51-0.x86_64.rpm adlmflexnetclient-7.0.51-0.x86_64.rpm" I kept getting "error: Failed dependencies: /bin/sh is needed by Maya...."
I looked up this error and apparently someone said that it's to do with the rpmDB being corrupted, so I reinstalled that with no result
2. I tried simply sunning the "./setup" and it seemed to work for a bit, actually bringing the installer window and asking for serial numbers and all that. I put in my productID and serial that I got for the windows version and it all gets accepted, but then when I click the install button, the installation just fails
3. I tried using alien, converting rpms to debs, installing them manually 1-by-1 by double clicking and going through the software installer, then doing the "sudo apt-get install" for each package, It seemed to be working, it was creating the files and directories where it's supposed to go, but I still wasn't able to actually RUN maya
4. I found a script on here: https://gist.github.com/insomniacUND...Elemon/5555214 but when I tried running it it had errors and wouldn't work, so I followed along with the commands but I get to the "license" section and I don't know what to do
I've been at this for like a good solid week and I really need maya for projects

Please can someone help me out.

99 REPLIES 99
Message 2 of 100
sokicki
in reply to: sokicki

I just tried installing the windows version through wine which seemed really promising until it started asking for .Net Framework v4.0 which my computer already says it has, but the installer doesn't seem to see

Please if anyone can help me out I'll be very greateful. I've been trying to install maya on my ubuntu for the past week it's really frustrating

Message 3 of 100
thebarx
in reply to: sokicki

You're doing it wrong. I have installed Maya 2014 on Ubuntu 14.04 succesfully, just look:

screenshot1.png

Still need help?

Before you begin, your Ubuntu has to be x64, or it won't do anything

First you have to have your RPM and install some libraries.

Second, you have to know that Ubuntu is a based Debian Distribution, and their packages are at the end named with ".deb"

The ".rpm" are for Red Hat Linux like Distributions, , and their packages are at the end named with ".RPM"

Knowing the last Internet Knowledge, then move fordward.

Step 1.

Open your terminal and copy and paste the next, each line is for a diferent command, just type enter to run the command:

mkdir maya2015_setup

cd ~./maya2015_setup

mv Autodesk_Maya_2014_English_Linux_64bit.tgz

tar xvf Autodesk_Maya_2014_English_Linux_64bit.tgz

export RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/Autodesk/Adlm/R5/lib64/

LIBCRYPTO="/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.10"

LIBSSL="/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.10"

sudo apt-get install -y  alien csh tcsh libaudiofile-dev libglw1-mesa elfutils gamin libglw1-mesa-dev mesa-utils xfs xfstt ttf-liberation xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi ttf-mscorefonts-installer libfam0 libfam0-dev

for i in *.rpm; do sudo alien -cv $i;

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

sudo mkdir /usr/tmp

sudo chmod 777 /usr/tmp

xset +fp /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/

xset +fp /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/

sudo cp libadlmPIT* /usr/lib/libadlmPIT.so.7

sudo cp libadlmutil* /usr/lib/libadlmutil.so.7

sudo echo -e 'MAYA_LICENSE=unlimited\nMAYA_LICENSE_METHOD=standalone' > /usr/autodesk/maya2014-x64/bin/License.env  /usr/autodesk/maya2014-x64/bin/adlmreg -i S 657F1 657F1 2014.0.0.F $YOURSERIALNUMBER /var/opt/Autodesk/Adlm/Maya2014/MayaConfig.pit

sudo ln -s /usr/autodesk/maya2014-x64/support/openssl/libcrypto.so.6 /usr/autodesk/maya2014-x64/lib/libcrypto.so.10

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtiff.so.5.2.0 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjpeg.so.8.0.2 /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62

sudo rm /usr/lib/libfam.so.0

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libfam.so.0.0.0 /usr/lib/libfam.so.0

sudo sh -c "echo 'setenv LC_ALL en_US.UTF-8' >> /usr/autodesk/maya2014-x64/bin/maya2014"

/usr/autodesk/maya2014-x64/bin/licensechooser /usr/autodesk/maya2014-x64/ standalone 657F1 maya

sudo -i
export MAYA_LOCATION=/usr/autodesk/maya2014-x64/
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/Autodesk/Adlm/R7/lib64/

gedit gcc mayainstall.c

#add the following in gedit document, save and close

int main (void) {return 0;}

#return to terminal and copy paste, each line with an enter

sudo mv /usr/bin/rpm /usr/bin/rpm_backup

sudo cp a.out /usr/bin/rpm

chmod +x ./setup

sudo ./setup

#Then, follow the GUI, Accept, put your Serial Number and the 65F1 thing, next

#and for the only first time, to activate and stuff

sudo maya  

#close maya, and add the following to a launcher

maya -style gtk

#enjoy

ATI Radeon HD 4290 - Propietary Drivers
Catalyst 12.6 Xorg Xserver 1.11.3
Autodesk Maya 2014 Student Version- Linux
Autodesk Mudbox 2015 Student Version- Linux
Message 4 of 100
karl_peng
in reply to: thebarx

then how tu install maya 2015?

Message 5 of 100
thebarx
in reply to: karl_peng

The process is quite similar, or the same. The issue is with the versions of libraries. The next difference is that all the command lines changes the version 2104 to 2015, seems too simple, but eve I get confused sometimes xD

Depending on the version of Ubuntu you're using it will be the versions of the following libraries that you have to create the simlinks to the following:

libcrypto.so
libtiff.so
libjpeg.so

The next libraries changes from .7 to .9

Change

libadlmPIT.so.7 to libadlmPIT.so.9

libadlmutil.so.7 to libadlmutil.so.9

And That's it. I had installed Maya 2015 on a Notebook of a friend, I can say is a tediusm but not difficult.
Autodesk Guys only do Red Hat Enterprise Linux Packages to only double-click install, but if you want to have Latest the latest software, such as Wacom Drivers (Like for Mudbox and an Intuos PRO to give you an example), you may have to change your distribution for a Debian based as Ubuntu and Similars.

Any problem, you can count on me ;).

Message 6 of 100
kettlefish

Hi there

I get as far as: 

sudo mv /usr/bin/rpm /usr/bin/rpm_backup

which returns no such file or directory.  After that I'm stuck, any advice?

Kettle

Message 7 of 100
thebarx
in reply to: kettlefish

that means that you haven't installed rpm library. But if you had done the other steps without problem, you can skip this step. 

This is just to keep converting anothers rpms and to let the ./setup utility to work and make easier the registration issue.

If does not exist, then, there is no problem 😉

Message 8 of 100
kettlefish

Thanks for your reply thebarx. 

Everything else has gone fine, although I had to process the rpms individually with alien, for some reason it wouldn't work trying to do them all with a single command.  The debs installed fine, and I have the maya/mental ray install directories.  But I can't chmod +x ./setup  or  sudo ./setup as ./setup isn't found (sudo -i).  if I switch back to the directory where I extracted the original setup files, obviously the setup there will start but won't work, as it tries to use the rpm files.

Sorry for the trouble, but if you have any ideas that would be great, I'm so close yet so far 😞

Kettle

Message 9 of 100
Algomorph

First off, thanks for such a useful guide.

I followed the process to the letter on Ubuntu 14.04 with Maya 2015 SP3, student licence of thereof.

I changed the license type to "student" and "standalone", as prescribed.

I also created symlinks to the libssl and libcrypto, but I'm not sure I did that right. Here's what I did.

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.10

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.10

The thing is, there is another libssl library there, i.e. libssl3.so, and I'm not sure whether that's the one I should be linking to.

Everything seemed to have worked, but the problem is that when I start maya, after it shows me that I have a student version and I close that dialog, it crashes every time.
Any ideas on how to get it to work?

Not sure what's going on, but it produces a crash report, which I've attached.

Thanks in advance for any help, guys.

Message 10 of 100
Algomorph

kettlefish, have you tried navigating to the installation directory while you're in sudo mode? I think that's implied here, seemed to have worked for me during installation.

Message 11 of 100
thebarx
in reply to: Algomorph

Have you tried to run Maya on Console:

maya -dbg 

to know what maya asks to run,

The advange with linux systems, I think is that, you can know rapidly in some ways how to reach a problem faster.

It could be a library, it could be a missing simlink.

The first time you have to run maya en adminstrator mode, that is typing in console:

sudo maya

to register and stuff like that.

Another thing you may have to know is, if you have your Ati, Nvidia or Intel video drivers installed. It is better to install the Propietary driver. Many programs don't ask you to use video. In this case is fundamental. 

Message 12 of 100
thebarx

kettlefish, Most of the times is not necesary to do the ./setup thing. Somethimes does.

If at the end of the installation if you can run maya in super user mode typing in terminal

sudo maya

if it launches, then you're done, Maya will register your Student License conected to the internet.

I wish Autodeks develop .deb packages by themeselves, so we users could avoid this troubles. It is just link libraries and copy folders to installation directory.

Message 13 of 100
Algomorph

Dear thebarx, thanks for such a prompt reply.

Here's the problem - "maya" is a shell script (full path: /usr/autodesk/maya2015-x64/bin/maya2015) and when I try to run "maya -dbg", I get:

Executing: bg  /usr/autodesk/maya2015-x64/bin/maya.bin
No job control in this shell.

If I try to run "/usr/autodesk/maya2015-x64/bin/maya.bin -dbg" directly, it fails to find the license (since that's what it checks for in the script, I think).

Do you know how to force the interactive mode, such that "maya -dbg" can use job control?

-Thanks.

Message 14 of 100
Algomorph

I put the "-dbg" argument inside a copy of the script and ran it, that didn't really produce any special result aside from the regular output / crash report in the terminal.
-dbg issue aside, judging from the crash report, it does not seem like any issue connected with not being able to load libraries.

Here is the final error from the report:

Fatal Error. Attempting to save in /usr/tmp/root.20140815.1116.ma
QWidget::setWindowModified: The window title does not contain a '[*]' placeholder

It seems like this same Qt error over here in the actual code, perhaps related to newer Qt libraries being loaded / present on the system? I have the default Qt 5.2.1. Should I file a bug report, or is there some way to force it to use its own, older libraries?

Message 15 of 100
kettlefish

Hey Chaps

Sorry for may late reply and thanks to both of you for responding.  Thebarx, I did actually get the ./setup step to work, it was just me (wrong directory or something, can't remember now).  Anyway, I still couldn't get it to run, but then I spotted on a ubuntu forum to run it with sudo (the first time), and as Algomorph said it works that way.  But I have the same problem as you now Algomorph.  It will open, give me a UI, then crash.  The bit about the student license is it trying to quick save the scene so you don't lose anything, but it crashes no matter what I do within a few seconds of launching.  I can launch it without sudo now, but I can't just stick maya in terminal, I have to navigate to the directory and run maya2015. If I run maya.bin it will not find the license at all (which hung me up for a while as that is what I had been trying to run rather than just maya2015). A few people have suggested video drivers, but I've tried (nvidia) 304, 331, 340 (IIRC) & nouveau to no avail.  I've submitted the crash report, but if I come across anything I'll be sure to post it here.

Kettle

Message 16 of 100
kettlefish

whoops, should have said I'm trying to install maya 2015 on mint 17 (14.04)

Kettle

Message 17 of 100
kettlefish

Hey Algomorph

I have fixed my problem.  I uninstalled maya completely then downloaded the latest service pack (I originally had the first version).  Then I installed the rpms manually rather than using alien using this page as a guide : http://www.nkoubi.com/blog/tutorial/how-to-install-autodesk-maya-2011-on-debian-ubuntu/

2015 is now working for me on mint 17.  Although I appear to be missing mental ray, but I'll get round to that later.

Kettle

Message 18 of 100
Algomorph

Dear Kettlefish,

Thank you very much for posting this. And here, when I almost thought that nothing could be done, you give new hope.

I will try this out as soon as I get a chance.

Message 19 of 100
thebarx

Amazing :D!! I'm glad you could used a similar method, the best of all is that you got your problem solved c:.

I whish you can fully use Maya on Ubuntu. Normally Mentalray you have to activate it by checing the Maya to Mental ray plugin in the pluggings section, or there are another render engines as Renderman, Maxxon, Arnold, Vray, alternate to Mental Ray if gives you a lot of trouble if your installation method had not let you have it, sounds weird, but it could happen. Also in the Last Service Pack page is a Mental Ray package, I hope works for you.

Congrats, and enjoy doing 3D stuff

Message 20 of 100
Algomorph

Well, unfortunately, it still didn't work for me.

I'm getting a different error now, and the Maya interface doesn't even load (I only see the load screen, then student license notification, then crash.) Here is the error stack trace:

Stack trace:
  /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x37000) [0x7f5f1edee000]
  OGS::Devices::GLFunctionTable::populate()
  OGS::Devices::GLContext::PopulateFunctionTable(OGS::Devices::ACreationParameters const*)
  OGS::Devices::VirtualDeviceGL::CreateDevice(OGS::Devices::ACreationParameters const*)
  OGS::Devices::Sys::CreateVirtualDevice(OGS::Devices::ACreationParameters*)
  OGSRenderer::initializeOGSDevice(OGS::Objects::UString*, int)
  OGSMayaRenderer::initialize(bool, unsigned int, int, void*, void*, void*, bool)
  OGSMayaBridge::CreateOGSRenderer()
  OGSMayaBaseRenderer::initialize()
  OGSViewportRenderer::initialize()
  OGSMayaBridge::Create3DViewportRenderer()
  /usr/autodesk/maya2015-x64/bin/maya.bin() [0x4179e4]
  Tapplication::start()
  /usr/autodesk/maya2015-x64/bin/maya.bin() [0x40e262]
  /usr/autodesk/maya2015-x64/bin/maya.bin() [0x420831]
  __libc_start_main
  /usr/autodesk/maya2015-x64/bin/maya.bin()

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report