Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Maya on Ubuntu

99 REPLIES 99
Message 1 of 100
sokicki
50147 Views, 99 Replies

Installing Maya on Ubuntu

I am having difficulty installing Maya on Ubuntu
I've been tryint to install maya on my ubuntu with a lot of difficulty
1. I tried following instructions on the Autodesk website which said to simply run "sudo rpm -ivh --force Maya2014_64-2014.0-986.x86_64.rpm adlmapps7-7.0.51-0.x86_64.rpm adlmflexnetclient-7.0.51-0.x86_64.rpm" I kept getting "error: Failed dependencies: /bin/sh is needed by Maya...."
I looked up this error and apparently someone said that it's to do with the rpmDB being corrupted, so I reinstalled that with no result
2. I tried simply sunning the "./setup" and it seemed to work for a bit, actually bringing the installer window and asking for serial numbers and all that. I put in my productID and serial that I got for the windows version and it all gets accepted, but then when I click the install button, the installation just fails
3. I tried using alien, converting rpms to debs, installing them manually 1-by-1 by double clicking and going through the software installer, then doing the "sudo apt-get install" for each package, It seemed to be working, it was creating the files and directories where it's supposed to go, but I still wasn't able to actually RUN maya
4. I found a script on here: https://gist.github.com/insomniacUND...Elemon/5555214 but when I tried running it it had errors and wouldn't work, so I followed along with the commands but I get to the "license" section and I don't know what to do
I've been at this for like a good solid week and I really need maya for projects

Please can someone help me out.

99 REPLIES 99
Message 41 of 100
kettlefish
in reply to: Algomorph

Good to hear you got it sorted Dragoby Smiley Very Happy

Algomorph, the install is a pain, sorry to hear you couldn't get it to work.  But, on the bright side blender is great and another tool on the belt.

Message 42 of 100
thebarx

On a conference, a guy that develops 3d Max Studio laughed at me when I asked for a version for *nix (mac & linux), he said that develop it would means re-write it from zero, since it's source is merely for windows. 

As A newbie I should say that Ubuntu is not for begginers. Fedora is more newbie friendlish, due to, you don't have to convert packages, are just single click.
But any way, I wish you luck.

Kind regard

Barx

ATI Radeon HD 4290 - Propietary Drivers
Catalyst 12.6 Xorg Xserver 1.11.3
Autodesk Maya 2014 Student Version- Linux
Autodesk Mudbox 2015 Student Version- Linux
Message 43 of 100
thebarx

On a conference, a guy that develops 3d Max Studio laughed at me when I asked for a version for  nix (mac & linux), he said that develop it would means re-write it from zero, since it's source is merely for windows. 

As A newbie I should say that Ubuntu is not for begginers. Fedora is more newbie friendlish, due to, you don't have to convert packages, are just single click.
But any way, I wish you luck.

Kind regard

Barx

ATI Radeon HD 4290 - Propietary Drivers
Catalyst 12.6 Xorg Xserver 1.11.3
Autodesk Maya 2014 Student Version- Linux
Autodesk Mudbox 2015 Student Version- Linux
Message 44 of 100
Dragoby
in reply to: sokicki

Hey Guys Dragoby here again.  So ive noiced another problem with the install.  Ive been getting a unhandled error on a couple of machines here at work and finally figured out what caused it.

So Maya worked fine for a bit and then just stopped working one day, I was able to find the error and it turns out if you install Wine on Ubuntu when using an nvidia driver maya will not run these are the commands I associated with the error

sudo apt-get install nvidia-cuda-toolkit -y
sudo apt-get install ocl-icd-opencl-dev -y
sudo apt-get install wine -y

I will warn anyone wanting to install to not install any of theses packages as it will cause maya to stop working if it is installed and wont let it run properly if it is a new install

Another thing to note,  if wine and the other packages are already installed then uninstalling and even purging it from you system wont fix it. Even if you remove before installing maya.  The best way to prevent it from breaking maya is to just not install it

I dont know if it is only one of the packages that breaks it I just know that is what I have installed and I was able to reproduce the error

Hope this Helps

Dragoby

Message 45 of 100
eigenwaffle

Hi,

We succesfully installed the student version of Maya 2015 on Xubuntu 12.04. We followed thebarx's instructions, but upon starting Maya we got the error :

Fatal Error. Attempting to save in /usr/tmp/root.20140815.1116.ma
QWidget::setWindowModified: The window title does not contain a '[*]' placeholder

The problem seems to be with the bifrost plugin. We changed /2015-x64/prefs/pluginPrefs.mel and deleted the three lines that load bifrost plugins at startup. Maya now opens without crashing.

Message 46 of 100
benny.edlund
in reply to: thebarx

Followed this for 2015 install on ubuntu 14.04 the other day and it does work however i found that i needed to remove the bifrost plugin for maya to start without crashing

sudo -i
mkdir /usr/autodesk/maya2015-x64/plugin-backups
mv /usr/autodesk/maya2015-x64/plug-ins/bifrost /usr/autodesk/maya2015-x64/plugin-backups/
Message 47 of 100

Hi. I just managed to finally get Maya 2015 going on Ubuntu 14.04 but it has taken much longer than I expected. I could not have done this without help from posts by thebarx: thank you very much!

Some things I ran into:

* Update thebarx's instructions for 2014 -> 2015 making sure to change the Product Key from 657F1 to 657G1. I messed this up and had to contact autodesk techsupport to get a proper activation code again.

* Stack trace with: OGS::Devices::GLFunctionTable::populate() - I had the proprietary nvidia (331.113) drivers installed. Switch to the default: X.org X server drivers in "System Settings/Software & Updates/Additional Drivers" to get around this crash.

* Stack trace with: bifrost issues. Disable it as eigenwaffle and benny.edlund specified.

I really wish autodesk would properly support debian... would have saved me a lot of time!

-josh

Message 48 of 100
gm666q.pl

Hi I have problem with maya 2015 on debian (I know that the topic is for ubuntu but ubuntu is based on debian so this instruction work there too) it crashes on loading. //crash log file name = /usr/tmp/gm666q.20150221.2031 //cut = 201410051530 /local/S/Maya_2015_DI/build //host name = gm666q-debian //release name = 3.16.0-4-amd64 //version = #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt4-3 (2015-02-03) //machine name = x86_64 //current scene = unDisclosed //directory = /home/gm666q //==================================================== //command history (most recent last): //==================================================== //==================================================== /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x35180) [0x7f86d2965180] OGS::Devices::GLFunctionTable::populate() OGS::Devices::GLContext::PopulateFunctionTable(OGS::Devices::ACreationParameters const*) OGS::Devices::VirtualDeviceGL::CreateDevice(OGS::Devices::ACreationParameters const*) OGS::Devices::Sys::CreateVirtualDevice(OGS::Devices::ACreationParameters*) OGSRenderer::initializeOGSDevice(OGS::Objects::UString*, int) OGSMayaRenderer::initialize(bool, unsigned int, int, void*, void*, void*, bool) OGSMayaBridge::CreateOGSRenderer() OGSMayaBaseRenderer::initialize() OGSViewportRenderer::initialize() OGSMayaBridge::Create3DViewportRenderer() /usr/autodesk/maya2015-x64/bin/maya.bin() [0x4179e4] Tapplication::start() /usr/autodesk/maya2015-x64/bin/maya.bin() [0x40e262] /usr/autodesk/maya2015-x64/bin/maya.bin() [0x420831] __libc_start_main /usr/autodesk/maya2015-x64/bin/maya.bin() [0x40da69] //==================================================== //Memory usage: // 1149.465 Mb Free Memory // 6437.204 Mb Free Swap // 63.442 Mb Heap // 14.609 Mb MEL // 0.332 Mb Data Blocks // 0.125 Mb Transforms // 0.002 Mb arguments // 0.062 Mb Arrays //====================================================
Message 49 of 100
robirobirobi

Any success with 2015 on 14.04?

Message 50 of 100
tinutu
in reply to: thebarx

Hi all!

First of all, Thank You barx for posting the steps to install Maya on Ubuntu!

I am relatively new to Unix (Had a mac, wasn't quite as impressed but it's nicer than windows, that's for sure) but I love the freedom that Linux gives if you know what you're doing.

So i managed to install Maya 2014 Student edition on my computer, running Ubuntu 14.10, but with a few hickups:

was not able to install xfs, xfstt, libfam0-dev but worked like a charm without those;

the ever so common of rpm just deleting your stuff before installing them: just do Sudo apt-get autoremove rpm and it will remove the dependencies as well. afterwards, just reinstall rpm and then alien and should be all fine, it installed perfectly after that;

you might want to break the mayainstall.c step in two, it didn't work for me so i had to do gedit mayainstall.c and then gcc mayainstall.c in order to get a.out;

for those getting the libssl.so.10 no such file error:

sudo apt-get install libssl1.0.0 libssl-dev

cd /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

sudo ln -s libssl.so.1.0.0 libssl.so.10

sudo ln -s libcrypto.so.1.0.0 libcrypto.so.10 - thanks to Hugo Vieira on Stackexchange for this tip on how to fix the issue

and finally, the "could not get license" error which bugged me to hell, i activated using offline method.

If you can't get the request code/file, look into /tmp while in activation screen for a file named MAYA2014en_USLongCode.xml which is used to generate on their website the response file for offline activation.

I still do have one issue though, I cannot run maya unless i use sudo maya everytime but apparently, if you do Lock to Launcher while working in sudo maya, it stays there and it always starts in sudo mode, so no probs there apart from the ugly question mark icon... doesn't bother me though.

Thanks everyone for the great help, hope this helps others in their works!

And again, thanks The Barx!

Kind regards to all,

Valentin.

Message 51 of 100
danbroken
in reply to: tinutu

Thank you guys. Tutorial from Thebarx is working good on Ubuntu 14.10. It has some errors, but I fix it with tips from other users. Thanks for all.

Message 52 of 100
kuntal_MZ

Well I install maya 2015 Sp5 sucessfullly in centos7 but now having a tough luck in ubuntu(I have to switch to ubuntu as centos didnt supported my graphic drivers).An error occurs when trying to save that file in student version on startup.This problem was mentioned earlier in the post by another one but I got no solution?

Message 53 of 100
danbroken
in reply to: kuntal_MZ

Well, first, you have to disable Bifrost plugins, because crash Maya in Ubuntu. Go to Maya directory Plugins, delete or rename Bifrost directory. When ready, start maya with this variable running this command:

export LC_NUMERIC="C" maya

All that tips are in post.

Message 54 of 100
kettlefish
in reply to: danbroken

Hey Chaps

(quick disclaimer lost touch with this thread a bit, so sorry if this is out of context)

Just thought I'd mention I have bifrost running in mint (ubuntu derived) and ubuntu (at work) with no problems, but I'm only using SP2.  Could the bifrost problems some have reported be related to later service packs?

Kettle

Message 55 of 100
kuntal_MZ
in reply to: danbroken

I already said the solutions are not working , even after doing that maya is showing the same problem. I even tried to execute it from the autodesk's folder using maya.bin after setting that variable which gives me some licensing error.

Message 56 of 100
jpatterson4
in reply to: kettlefish

I just downloaded and installed Maya 2016 Educational, with a lot of help from reading over this very helpful thread - thanks all.

I too seem to have the Bifrost QWidget crash issue.  Is there a fix for Bifrost in Maya2016 in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS?  I'm super bummed to realize that Bifrost will not work in Ubuntu 14.04.  For me, Bifrost was kind of the point.  Should I wipe this (new) machine and install CentOS?  Ugh.

Message 57 of 100
jpatterson4
in reply to: jpatterson4

Update: I removed the Bifrost directory from the plug-ins folder.  Maya now crashes with a stack trace, and then this:

[xcb] Unknown request in queue while dequeuing
[xcb] Most likely this is a multi-threaded client and XInitThreads has not been called
[xcb] Aborting, sorry about that.
maya.bin: ../../src/xcb_io.c:179: dequeue_pending_request: Assertion `!xcb_xlib_unknown_req_in_deq' failed.
maya.bin: Fatal IO error: client killed
Aborted (core dumped)

Any thoughts, anyone?

I should also mention that when I run

ldd maya.bin

I see this line in the output:

libtbb_preview.so.2 => not found

I have googled hard to find any info about libtbb_preview.so.2, but have not had much luck.  The tbb stands for "thread building block" I think, so maybe I need to get that .so to load properly.  I have it in the Maya lib folder:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2137968 Feb 26 17:55 /usr/autodesk/maya2016/lib/libtbb_preview.so.2

...but for some reason it shows as missing when I run the "ldd Maya" command.  ???

Message 58 of 100
jpatterson4

I created a symlink so that the "ldd Maya" command shows that libtbb_preview.so.2 is being found.  Maya still crashes the same way.  Does anyone have any good ideas?

Some good news!:  I was able to successfully download and install Houdini in 5 minutes.  Their download page asks what OS you're using.  I chose linux, and a dropdown asks which flavor - I chose ubuntu.  Then download, tar xvf ..., run the houdini.install script, agree to the license, accept all the defaults, and badda bing badda boom, Houdini is running!

Message 59 of 100
jpatterson4

It seems like I had some luck with this script.  Somehow it installed a few more packages.  I'm not sure.

https://gist.github.com/heiths/3250500

I also was poking around in here:

/usr/autodesk/maya2016/support/opensource/README.txt

and saw that there was a link for some more downloads.  I went and downloaded the "tbb" related .gzip file and extracted it, and copied all the .so files into

/usr/autodesk/maya2016/lib/

Full disclosure:  The ...gist.github... script in the link above actually set everything up in a temp folder, so I had 2 broken installations of maya.  I copied all the /lib/* files from the temp folder back to the install I tried the other day using the script near the top of this thread.  And now I seem to be well past 30 seconds with maya up and running in my ubuntu 14.04 LTS.  I'm not sure I could do it again, but it's running.

Now comes the question:  Since Bifrost is not running in ubuntu, could I maybe get away with also using this license on my old win 7 machine?  Actually, I ought to verify that Bifrost is broken before I go back to windows...

Message 60 of 100
jpatterson4

Actually, I moved the bifrost directory back in it's proper place, and bifrost seems to be working!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report