Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation of AUTOCAD 2011 fails on operating system w2k8r2.

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
dthompson1
1013 Views, 18 Replies

Installation of AUTOCAD 2011 fails on operating system w2k8r2.

I get a error message trying to install AUTOCAD 2011 on a Windows 2008 R2 server.  The message tells me that I cannot install this product on the current operating system.  This is my first time installing AUTOCAD.  Can anyone help, or point me in the right direction?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
DarrenP
in reply to: dthompson1

windows server is not a supported os

you need xp, vista or windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 19
dthompson1

But I understood that you could install it along with Network Manager on a server, and then distribute a client to each pc using the software.  Is this not correct??

Message 4 of 19
DarrenP

no thats not correct the license manager gets installed on the server not the product

the product gets installed on the client machines

the license manager dishes out the licenses not autocad

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 19
dthompson1
in reply to: DarrenP

Ok, I can understand that.  Isn't the Network License Manager installed from the 'Tools and Utilities' folder on the AUTOCAD media??

Message 6 of 19
DarrenP

yes it is

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 7 of 19
dthompson1

When I select that folder to install, I get the same error that this software cannot be installed on this operating system.

Message 8 of 19
DarrenP

can post a screen shot of the error message?

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 9 of 19
dthompson1

Thank you!!

Message 10 of 19
DarrenP

it shouldn't show that error if your clicking on the install tools/ulility button

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 11 of 19
DarrenP

do you have the latest service pack on for the server ?

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 12 of 19
dthompson1

As far as I can tell, yes.  Windows 2008 R2 does not have a service pack for it yet.  I performed a check for updates, and only found 4 security updates.  I did apply them.

Message 13 of 19
DarrenP

try downloading and installing using this: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?linkID=9242258&id=13737466&siteID=123112

make sure to get the correct version 32 bit or 64 bit for windows

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 14 of 19
dthompson1

Darren,

Yes, that worked great!!!  Thank you!!!

May I explain what we are trying to accomplish, at least this is what I have had explained to me.  They want to install AUTOCAD on a server so that the users can share it.  I don't know AUTOCAD enough to know what it is that they want to share.  From what you have told me so far, and thanks for that, the software must be installed on each pc.  If that is so, then what benefit is having a server involved??

Message 15 of 19
DarrenP

in this case you don't need a server for the license manager

it depends on how many users you have that are using autocad and how many licenses you have and how many are using it at the same time

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 16 of 19
dthompson1

I think they are under the assumption that it be installed on a server, and then each pc can run the software from the server and not have it installed on each pc.

Message 17 of 19
DarrenP

thats not how autocad works

you have to have the program installed on a workstation computer with windows xp or vista or windows 7 or the mac OS if you have autocad for mac installed

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 18 of 19
dthompson1

Darren - thank you very much for educating me today.  Have a GREAT day!!!

Message 19 of 19
DarrenP

you to

DarrenP

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report