Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I HAVE A PERPETUAL LICENSE OF AUTOCAD 2021, CAN I UPGRADE TO 2024?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
GARIZINI
628 Views, 12 Replies

I HAVE A PERPETUAL LICENSE OF AUTOCAD 2021, CAN I UPGRADE TO 2024?

I have a perpetual license of Autocad 2021. The application was crashing. I reached out to our Rep and he indicated I should uninstall the 2021 version and upgrade to the 2024 version to clear any crashing issues. I was told that the perpetual license would still be good even though I now have a trial version of 2024. I am trying to activate this version and am having no success. Our Rep cannot provide me a solution other than to post on this forum. Looking for guidance and assistance to a solution to this issue. Thank you.
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Simon_Weel
in reply to: GARIZINI

I would try a repair of 2021. For upgrading - you need to contact your reseller.

Message 3 of 13
DarrenP

you would have to move to the new subscription model

Autodesk has eliminated perpetual licenses for purchase

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 13
pendean

1) Who is "our rep" exactly?
2) What is your OS that crashes AutoCAD2021 all the time?
3) What version of AutOCAD2021 as listed in ABOUT command do you have?
4) How and when is it crashing?
5) Share with us a screenshot of your GRAPHICSCONFIG command pop-up too.

6) What crashing issues have you had with 3-year-old 2021 today in July2023, and is that a sudden problem because of a purchase of a new computer or other network/filing upgrades you performed recently?
Message 5 of 13
GARIZINI
in reply to: pendean

I am personally not an Autocad user, I am posting on behalf of an engineer in our company. This is the first time on this forum as I was directed by our Reseller (who I referred to as "Rep". ). History : we had installed a perpetual 2021 version of Autocad LT on a Win 10 pc. a few years ago. and have been using for several years. Two weeks ago, the enginneer would attempt to start Autocad and it would appear to start loading and then just crash (meaning the application would just shut down). Restarts of the PC did not seem to fix the issue. I have a maintenance agreement that expires in Nov 2023. I contacted the Reseller for assistance to see how they could help and what options I had. The reseller suggested I uninstall 2021 version and install 2024 version to see if this cleared the issue. I was told that our perpetual license permitted up to the use of 2024 but that would be the last upgrade. Following their advice, I did the above. The issue is now the 2024 version is a trial version and I have been asking our reseller on how to apply the perpetual license before the 2024 trial expires. He indicated his hands are tied with perpetual licenses and suggested I look at this forum for advice.  I am unable to provide a file as suggested as 2021 is not installed. No upgrades to the hardware have occurred that is running these applications.            

Message 6 of 13
DarrenP

If your on subscription then log in to your Autodesk Account here: manage.autodesk.com

& look up your serial number for 2024

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 13
pendean

@GARIZINI Your reseller was probably overwhelmed. 2021 runs just fine for more users than not I suspect, it's rock solid and stable.

From your post, it appears you folks did not try much other than reaching out to your reseller, is that correct? In my previous reply I asked 6-detailed questions, if you'd like to fix 2021 please address them in detail and be very specific, if getting 2024 for no cost as your reseller hinted at is not based in reality as we all suspect.
Message 8 of 13
GARIZINI
in reply to: DarrenP

Thank you - two weeks ago the 2021 version was in the account and now it no longer appears. We have a separate 2 seat license that 2 other engineers use that are not perpetual. They are the only licenses now reflected in the account.  

Message 9 of 13
GARIZINI
in reply to: pendean

We were not looking to move to 2024, just a resolution to our issue of 2021 Autocad LT crashing. Our reseller business manager has offered an apology for misleading us to uninstall 2021 and replace with 2024 with the assumption that we would just need to apply the perpetual license key (as of today). The reseller is going to try to involve an engineer to assist with our dilemma in hopes of finding a resolution.  You are correct in contacting our reseller was our first attempt as I have taken this path before and been connected to an engineer that provided assistance. We have rarely had a need for tech support, as we are a small shop that does quite a bit of basic drafting and haven't run into to many issues over the years with the application.        

Message 10 of 13
pendean

@GARIZINI If you opt for assistance in resolving your 2021 issues in these user peer forums, please remember to start a fresh new post over in the dedicated AutoCAD forum over here and be very detailed about the issues (see my first reply above for guidance).

Best wishes.

Message 11 of 13
mdavis22569

@GARIZINI 

In addition to Pendeans' question:

Can you TYPE 3DCONFIG on the command line. You'll get a popup, can you share as screenshot of that popup to the ticket?

From there, can you then type ABOUT on the command line. You'll get a new popup, can you share a screenshot of that popup to the ticket as well.

You should be able to share the jpeg / png

I don't think perpetual 2021 licenses were available either .. they would be maintenance or subscription. 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
GARIZINI
in reply to: mdavis22569

Thank you to all that have been offering comments and suggestions . My reseller just reached out to me and did in fact indicate that he mistakenly had me install 2024 Autocad LT when we were only entitled up to 2021 version. They are going to have a technician contact me to assist with re-installing the 2021 version. If I continue to have any future issues, I will reach back out on this forum for guidance.    

Message 13 of 13
mdavis22569

You should be able to get 2021 from AVA for installation too. 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report