Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to transfer settings? AutoCAD 2010

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
morganism3
587 Views, 7 Replies

how to transfer settings? AutoCAD 2010

Hello y'all,

I need to know how to transfer all my settings to a new computer for AutoCAD 2010, such as custom made layers and linetypes, the way I have the drawing environment set up, etc. I understand how to transfer the license, but not the settings.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rkmcswain
in reply to: morganism3

Layers and linetypes are stored in the drawing (except for the shapes in complex linetypes) - so there is nothing to transfer there.

If you do have shapes used in your linetypes, put them in a directory (preferably one you make yourself, maybe C:\CADSTUFF ?) and then add this path to the TOP of your support file search path. You can keep other personal files in here too such as lisp files, menu files, LIN files, PAT files, etc.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 8
morganism3
in reply to: rkmcswain

Where do I go to copy the lisp, etc files? Also, how do I transfer a custom-made plotting style?

Message 4 of 8
ukdxb012

What exactly have you created yourself? Do you have custom LISP?

ctb and stb files will be stored in a folder which you are pathed to in your AutoCAD profile. Have a look through the Files tab in options. Here it will give you paths you might want to explore to see where your custom files are.

Check out your print support path settings to identify where you are currently storing plotting styles.

Duncan Brannan
UK/EMEIA CAD Operations Manager
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 5 of 8
morganism3
in reply to: ukdxb012

Got it. That answered part of it, for the rest, I hadn't realized that under the Win start menu, all programs, Autodesk, AutoCAD 2010, there was an option to migrate settings.

Message 6 of 8
ukdxb012

That's right, however it can be a bit temperamental which is why I didn't advise it.

My advice would be to take time to understand how AutoCAD is configured, if you are going to spend time customising it, you really need to understand how it all works so you can rebuild etc in case of the worse.

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 7 of 8
morganism3
in reply to: ukdxb012

Can you recommend a good place to learn this? I am having trouble wrappign my head around the idea of where/how everything is stored behind the scenes.

Message 8 of 8
ukdxb012

In all honesty I would recommend an Autodesk reseller course on customisation of AutoCAD, there is lots of info out there on the Internet but a 1 to 2 day course will show you the majority of the behind scenes info and will be most beneficial to you.

If I were to put it all on to paper for you, it might take me quite sometime.

Often just reading the Help in AutoCAD can give you a good understanding of where things are stored, for instance - what settings are saved in a dwg and what is a system setting etc.

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report