Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to tell Revit to open as Revit Structure

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
tcorey
484 Views, 5 Replies

How to tell Revit to open as Revit Structure

The client has both Infrastructure Design Suite Premium and Building Design Suite Premium, netowrk version.

For a particular user, they want to install Revit from BDSP and  Revit Structure from IDSP.

If they install Revit first, the Revit Structure installation fails because some files it is trying to install are already installed. Same thing if you install Revit Structure from IDSP first, then Revit fails.

It appears they won't be able to do both installs on one machine, but I am wondering if there is a way to create a shortcut/profile for Revit that tells it to only load Revit Structure, thus allowing them to open Civil 3D and then get Revit Structure to use an IDSP license instead of BDSP license.

Am I making any sense? Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
TravisNave
in reply to: tcorey

Seems to me that you might need to construct an adskflex.opt options file for this.  Wasn't this question asked already in the last week or so?  Maybe somebody else asked...

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 6
tcorey
in reply to: TravisNave

I did post previously regarding a very similar question, from the same client, but the situation has evolved.

Originally, they said they have IDSP's Revit Structure installed, but that it was using a BDSP Revit license. Opening Civil 3d first proved to be the solution.

Now they want to install BDSP Revit, but sometimes only want it to use an IDSP license -- when using only Revit Structure. They are not able to install IDSP Revit Structure when BDSP Revit is already installed, so we are searching for the possibility of creating a Revit profile that only loads Structure, thus allowing it to use only the IDSP license, if Civil 3D has been opened.

I don't think an options file is going to solve this issue. If it's solvable, I think it will be through a profile.

I don't know if this idea is posible, but I want to fully explore the option before telling them no.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 4 of 6
DarrenP

@tcorey wrote:

Now they want to install BDSP Revit, but sometimes only want it to use an IDSP license -- when using only Revit Structure. They are not able to install IDSP Revit Structure when BDSP Revit is already installed, so we are searching for the possibility of creating a Revit profile that only loads Structure, thus allowing it to use only the IDSP license, if Civil 3D has been opened.

I don't think an options file is going to solve this issue. If it's solvable, I think it will be through a profile.

I don't know if this idea is posible, but I want to fully explore the option before telling them no.

no such thing as a profile in Revit

there wasn't a problem before installing both revit programs

EDIT: i just installed revit structure from the Plant Design Suite along with Revit already installed this installed correctly

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
tcorey
in reply to: DarrenP

Thanks, Darren. 

Further info, he said he can't install Revit Structure when Revit has been there for a while and has been updated by Application Manager. That makes sense.

I will install both here and see if Revit Structure gets the license properly.

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 6 of 6
tcorey

Sorry for the delay in following up here to the forum. I did solve this issue early this week, but with the holidays and all...

Revit Structure installs along side Revit with no issues, if you have not allowed Revit to be updated by Application Manager.

Once you do that, starting Civil 3D first forces Revit Structure to use the IDSP license.

Thanks, Travis and Darren, for your input.

Happy new year to all,

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report