Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to run lmutil.exe residing on 64 bit server, from XP (32 bit)

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
JamesMaeding
3009 Views, 12 Replies

How to run lmutil.exe residing on 64 bit server, from XP (32 bit)

I wrote a prog to query how many seats are available, using return from lmutil.exe.

We recently put our acad license server on a 64 bit server, and now the lmutil will not run on xp, sayoing its not a valid 32 bitapp.

I don't have hopes of running a 64 bit exe on xp, but is there some way to tell the exe to run actually on the server, not on the machine running the query?

Probably a programming question more than anything, may have some luck here though.

thx

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
TravisNave
in reply to: JamesMaeding

Why not just get the 32-bit version of lmutil.exe?  You can download it here:

http://www.globes.com/products/utilities/v11.10.1/lmutil_i86_n3.zip

That should work for ya locally. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 13
JamesMaeding
in reply to: TravisNave

oh, I never thought running lmutil from another place would work.

I tested just now and that seemed to go fine so good suggestion!

Message 4 of 13
TravisNave

My pleasure!  Glad you are up and running. 

You can also run LMTOOLS remote as well if you choose to configure it by license file and put 27000@SERVERNAME in the box.  Servername being the hostname of your NLM server, of course.  That way you can do a status enquiry with the LMTOOLS GUI.  Just another helpful tip!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 13
JamesMaeding

whoa, let me understand that, as it always a pain to go to IT and get access to a server.

I have always set up using the "Configuration using Services" option.

I don't really know the difference of using file.

Why would I set up to use file instead of services?

Its been so long since I tried file, I forget the isuues.

thanks

Message 6 of 13
TravisNave

No no no, you misunderstand.  On the server itself, LMTOOLS should be configured using services and started as a service.  But... from a client workstation... you can run LMTOOLS and use it to connect to the server by configuring it to use a license file, but in the browse box you type 27000@SERVERNAME and it will connect to the service port of the server.  That will allow you do perform status enquries remotely, etc.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 7 of 13
JamesMaeding

I guess I do not understand the effects of doing that.

Let's say i want to have it re-read the license file after an update.

Will the session of lmtools i am running remotely through the port mess up the services running on the server?

Maybe you are saying once you point it to the port, there is no difference.

I would experiment to find out, but also outside advice is appreciated.

thx

Message 8 of 13
TravisNave

Actually, yes you can do that remotely with LMTOOLS as well.  That's why sometimes it is a good idea to restrict that access with an adskflex.opt options file. 

Basically, I am just giving you the LMTOOLS GUI alternative to running the command line LMUTIL remotely to do the same thing. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 9 of 13
JamesMaeding

so I am testing and its working, but if I do something like "reread license file", will it somehow alter things to run based on "Configure using license file"?

I cannot believe for years I have walked over to IT to do things, and I could have done from my desk.

Someone needs to do a "Flexlm usage for cad managers that used to be engineers, not IT experts", thoiugh at some places I've known more than the IT dept did.

Not at H&A though, our IT people are overqualified for what they do, very nice indeed.

Message 10 of 13
TravisNave

Reread will work just fine.  You're not configuring anything.  You're just remote connecting to the service via its master daemon port. 

If you want something that will really shine you on, click my FLEXnet Administrator link in my signature line and see the web-based version of the license manager.  Being able to access your NLM from any web browser should be enough to make you want to bash your head on the wall for years of frustration dealing with IT.  Ha!

Autodesk Forums:
Message 11 of 13
DarrenP

didn't know you could do that

good to know

i recently switched to the web base version anyway

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
JamesMaeding

now my head is spinning, we can use something besides flexlm???

Are there any particular advantages of doing that?

I am writing a prog to log seat usage and one of the things I am trying to figure out is how to detect when a seat is checked in or out. Is there an event, or change in some file i can watch, then run lmutil to get a status?

I am simply running lmutil every couple minutes currently, which misses the use peaks and valleys a bit.

thx

Message 13 of 13
TravisNave

The advantage or disadvantage is really up to do you decide.  I use both concurrently. 

Your license check in and check out is logged in your debug.log file.  It's just a text file so you should be able to parse it out at any time.  It shows times for IN and OUT. 

In the web-based version, you can set up alerts that will let you know when you've reached a certain setpoint that you want. 

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report