Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to edit Inventor 2014 setup.ini for Vista 64 installation?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
JimStrenk
4518 Views, 9 Replies

How to edit Inventor 2014 setup.ini for Vista 64 installation?

I've just downloaded from subscription PDSU 2014 and wish to install same on a Windows Vista-64 machine.  I am fully aware of the fact that Autodesk does not support such an installation.

While reviewing the setup.ini file that comes with the download, I see some specific places with the setup.ini file, where the installation application checks to see if an attempt has been made to install PDSU 2014 on a Vista machine.

Is there someone out there that could assist in editing the setup.ini file in such a way as to allow for the installation of PDSU 2014 on my Vista-64 machine?

Without going into detail, the purchase of a new computer to install Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014 is not possible at this time.

Thank you in advance for your assistance in this particular endeavor. Smiley Happy

Jim Strenk

Inventor 2012 Certified Associate
AutoCAD 2012 Certified Associate

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016, 2017

Other than THAT, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play??
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
izybit
in reply to: JimStrenk

First check that you have installed Update KB971138, if not download it from Microsoft's website and install it.

Reboot your system if it asks.

Open Setup.ini, find "Custom Callback" group near the top and remove the "VISTA_32;VISTA_64;" then save the file and proceed with installation.

Message 3 of 10
TravisNave
in reply to: izybit

Agreed.  The KB is sometimes hard to find, so I had posted it here awhile back.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Email-with-hotfix-for-inventor-has-no-password/...

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 4 of 10
JohnBeach

I would like to do the same thing; but am unsuccessful. Do you need to do browser download or something to make this work?

Thanks

Also, any chance of a fix for Windows XP?

Message 5 of 10
paul.schalk
in reply to: JimStrenk

Hi, 

I'm wondering if you were succesful in installing IV2014 on Vista. 

We are running Vista still on some pc's and the investment proposal is prepared for going to W7. In the meantime, I need to install IV2014 on Vista.

Is it running at your pc and is it stable?

Thanks in advance. 

Regards, 

Paul

Message 6 of 10
izybit
in reply to: paul.schalk

Dear Paul,

I have successfully installed Inventor 2014 on a Vista 32bit laptop but I have only used it for opening some drawings, no real work was done on it.

I suggest you install it yourself and do some tests before using it on a production environment.
Message 7 of 10
paul.schalk

Hi Izybit,

Thanks for your quick reply. 

So to resumé it all: all I have to do is to make sure that the KB file is installed on the Vista machines and edit the setup.ini file in order to let it install?

Message 8 of 10
JohnBeach

Hi Paul,

Yes it did work and is quite stable - possibly struggling a bit on some larger models.

We also did the same thing for an XP laptop. Less use but has been quite useable.

The main advantage was the time saved in changing everythig over to W7.

Cheers,

John

Message 9 of 10
izybit

As Paul said that is pretty much all you have to do.
Message 10 of 10
abe
Participant

FYI I tried this with Revit Architecture 2014. While it isn't identical, I removed the entire "Custom Callback" section and that gets me to the license area. But after entering my license info, the installer still recognizes that I'm on a different OS. Any suggestions yet? THanks.

Abe Degnan
I've been a Revit user since version 1.x circa 1999, but I'm not a full-time user in my daily job.
www.degnandesignbuilders.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report