Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to correct "valid date range" shown to users when borrowing a license

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ampster402
521 Views, 8 Replies

how to correct "valid date range" shown to users when borrowing a license

ref

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/License-borrow-date-range-incorrect-date-displa...

AutoCAD 2011 shows the correct valid date range to users attempting to borrow a license. 

Acad 2013 and 2014 do not.  Even after adjusting the valid date range, 2011 updates correctly...2013 and 2014 still show the default 6 months as a valid date range.

Is there some other option with 2013 and 2014 we have to adjust in order to have the following screenshot show the correct valid date range?

This situation will create unneeded support calls and it would be nice to have it fixed, if not for 2013 & 2014, how about releasing a service pack for 2015? (if the problem still exists there, I am unable to confirm)

"The Problem" is that if a client is unaware of the valid date range my company has imposed, they may attempt to borrow a license beyond the valid date range - if they do, they receive a msg to the effect that this option has not be enabled and to contact your cad administrator.  If they attempt to borrow a license within the valid date range - no problem - it works.

Screenshots below are suppose to be showing a valid date range of 20 days - only 2011 is showing it correctly.

TIA

Adesk License borrowing issue.png

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
TravisNave
in reply to: ampster402

Post the contents of your adskflex.opt options file.  Perhaps there is an error or it is not being read in correctly.  The debug.log file should also verify this.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 9
ampster402
in reply to: TravisNave

Thanks Travis, but as I suspected they won't allow that to happen.

We will be making some option changes soon so for now we'll wait to see what happens afterwards.

But is there anybody out there running 2011 thru 2014 that could compare license borrowing options in their adskflex.opt file to see if there are any differences between 2011 and newer?  Just seems odd that 2011 updates correctly and the other two do not, almost as if there is some extra option you have to use or enable for 2013 and 2014.

edit, I'll mention for someone to look for a debug.log file

Message 4 of 9
TravisNave

When a change to borrowing options aren't working, it is almost always a typo or some other incorrect setting in the options file itself.  I can check the syntax for you. 

I also have an article here about the options file that you might want to explore:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Managing-the-adskflex-opt-Options-File/td-p/307...

Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 9
ampster402

in that link Travis, you provided a link to

http://www.globes.com/support/utilities/fnp_LicAdmin_11_9_1.pdf

but it's no longer valid.  Do you have a copy of that pdf or a fresh link?

TIA

Message 6 of 9
TravisNave

Yes, that site is now retired as of the end of July.  Here is my personal copy.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 7 of 9
ampster402

Thanks again Travis.  We'll dig into this and see what we can figure out.

please note, I mentioned earlier that at some point we only had 20 days for the valid date range, we have since up'd it to 4 weeks.

It's odd that 2013 and 2014 do honor the 4 week valid date range - so to some degree "it works" - it would be nice to have the correct valid date range shown.  (edit, so if the software is still honoring the correct valid date range - what is the missing link between it using the correct valid date range and the graphical information shown in the "Borrow a License" window?!?!?)

Does it show the correct valid date range for anybody (2013 or newer)?  Maybe I'll be wasting my time researching this issue if no AutoCAD user thruout the world sees the correct valid date range - anybody from Autodesk care to chime in and state if this is "as-designed"?

I just know that because the "Borrow a License" screen indicating 6 months as a valid date range will cause unneeded support calls when someone attempts to borrow beyond the 4 weeks.  If that screen cannot be fixed/corrected, then at least the error msg should be re-worded to indicate someone is attempting to borrow beyond what has been set as the valid date range and not a msg simply stating you cannot borrow at this time.  The following error is shown when I attempted to borrow for 5 weeks;

license borrowing error.png

Message 8 of 9
ampster402

when I posted this last response this morning, I was unaware someone in our dept had contacted Adesk directly asking for support with this issue.  We have since received a reply from Adesk with the fix.  I am not directly involved with the licensing stuff so when I find out the answer I will post here.

Thanks again for your assistance Travis.

Message 9 of 9
TravisNave

Not a problem. Let me know if they can't figure it out. That's why I am
an Expert Elite in this subject.

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report