Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How include a service pack on an image deploy?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
matias_del_nido
297 Views, 7 Replies

How include a service pack on an image deploy?

Hello

My question is: How include a service pack on an image deploy?, i found on Autodesk this link:
http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/Readme_AutoCAD_2006_SP1_esp.htm#Installation_Instructions_

But this don't work, or i don't now how to do it...anyone can explain?
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

You have to extract the Service Pack .exe into an .MSP file then use the Deployment Wizard to apply it to the deployment. It's not that difficult, just follow the directions.

However, I simply recommend installing the Service Packs manually at the client instead of the deployment.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: matias_del_nido

TravisNave said the following on 5/26/2006 1:43 PM:

>
> However, I simply recommend installing the Service Packs manually at the client instead of the deployment.

Even if you were doing a new deployment at a new site, after a SP was
released?

--
R.K. McSwain
http://rkmcswain.blogspot.com
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

R.K. McSwain wrote:
> Even if you were doing a new deployment at a new site, after a SP was
> released?

After attempting to troubleshoot an extremely annoying problem trying to
slipstream SPs into a network deployment, that would be my
recommendation... and it was Autodesk's final word as well.

It worked pretty well for me with 2005, but the time spent trying to
figure out my problem with 2006 ate up any perceived savings there.

In case anyone else is seeing this, the problem in my case occurred when
creating the deployment on our NetApp FAS (accessed as a NAS via its
internal CIFS/SMB capabilities). It did not occur when creating the
deployment directly on a Win2k3 server.

I did not escalate this to NetApp support, but after attempting this
against two different filers in two different locations I believe that
the problem is on their end, and probably in the CIFS implementation.

Jason
Message 5 of 8

That is correct. 😉

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

TravisNave said the following on 5/30/2006 5:02 PM:
> That is correct. 😉

Reasons?

The reason I ask is I recently set up a new office of ours with AutoCAD
2006 and added the SP to the deployment before installing - no problems.

I understand the problems regarding adding the SP to an existing
deployment from which installs have been made, but this was not the case.

Thanks.

--
R.K. McSwain
Message 7 of 8

Reason?

Well, just stubborn I guess. Prior to the 2006 versions, adding a SP to a deployment often caused problems and/or errors with the deployment. And even though I never experienced those issues with 2006, I remain skeptical.

And besides the other factor of adding an SP to an existing image after the deployment has been installed, which is indeed a bad idea, I also follow the rule that if it is not broke don't fix it. Just because a SP or hotfix is released doesn't mean that it should be installed. Besides causing other new problems, sometimes a new SP will not recognize your video driver as being certified.

That's not to say that I don't add the SP to the deployment if I know it's been out there awhile. Because I do. However, most SPs are small, so I will generally place the .exe in the same deployment folder and install it at the client if so desired.

I think it is just a personal preference thing. I am not for or against it. Just that if you are having problems getting it to work, then it isn't worth the time. In fact, the orginal user that posted this thread could have installed the SP manually by the time he got an answer or even figured out how to add the MSP to the Deployment. So in that sense, I gauge all of those factors and make a decision.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

TravisNave said the following on 6/1/2006 8:39 PM:
>
> I think it is just a personal preference thing. I am not for or against it.

Thanks for the information.

--
R.K. McSwain

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report