Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From student version to commercial version.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Beringline
218 Views, 2 Replies

From student version to commercial version.

Hey

I'm a graduate student, with a Maya student version.

For the next 2 years I will be working on a game. If this game is sucessful, I will and publish it.

If I swap to a commercial version of Maya, once I wish to publish my game, can I still use all previous assets made in the student version? Or can nothing which has been created in a student version of Maya ever be used for Commercial use?

It will be too risky for me paying for a full software package right now, as it is still unclear when or if the game will be released.

I have tried researching whether this is possible or not - however I have still not found a clear answer on this. Anyone who can help?
It is quite important to me, knowing the exact legal rules regarding this, as it would be months wasted, in case none of the 3D assets I will make, will be able to be in the final product.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
DarrenP
in reply to: Beringline

simple answer no you can not

i believe this is in the Student agreement when you registered as a student on the autodesk website that states this

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
Beringline
in reply to: DarrenP

Thanks for your reply!

You are indeed correct.

I received this reply earlier on Twitter:
"We advise against it as some assets may be marked as created on a student version and can generate conflict with the commercial version. It may mark your whole commercial project as a student project." ^CAM

I am happy you (And Twitter Autodesk Support)  informed me, as otherwise I could imagine I would have lost months of work due to license issues. 

My current solution would be to make the entire thing in Maya LT.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report