Installation & Licensing

Reply
*Brown, Glenn
Message 1 of 9 (295 Views)

FLEXlm license manager

295 Views, 8 Replies
07-16-2001 08:43 PM
Is anyone using this and if so what do they think of it?

Can you also reserve licenses for full time cad users and have the
remainder of licenses used for a floating system.

Thanks
Glenn
*Brown, Glenn
Message 1 of 9 (295 Views)

Re: FLEXlm license manager

07-16-2001 08:43 PM in reply to: *Brown, Glenn
Is anyone using this and if so what do they think of it?

Can you also reserve licenses for full time cad users and have the
remainder of licenses used for a floating system.

Thanks
Glenn
*martin, jason
Message 3 of 9 (295 Views)

Re: FLEXlm license manager

07-16-2001 09:45 PM in reply to: *Brown, Glenn
Glenn-

Yes, I've used it. It works fine.

Yes you can reserve licenses for full time users like you could with the elan version, but
the procedure is a little different. You'll need to create an options file for the
flexlm. The documentation for creating the options file will be in \Program
Files\Autodesk License Manager\docs\FlexUser folder after install or you should be able to
find it on the CD (I hope that they haven't moved it) in
\netsetup\support\adlm\docs\flexuser\all.htm. Currently not all of the items listed in
the Flexlm options file are supported by Autodesk (like the timeout). You'll want to look
at the Reserve feature in the options file.

hth

jason martin
frankfurt-short-bruza

"Glenn Brown" wrote in message
news:64B432C94D03D511A36200C0F055E8D30C4376@news.conisbee.co.uk...
> Is anyone using this and if so what do they think of it?
>
> Can you also reserve licenses for full time cad users and have the
> remainder of licenses used for a floating system.
>
> Thanks
> Glenn
>
*Support\, Autodesk
Message 4 of 9 (295 Views)

Re:

07-17-2001 01:22 AM in reply to: *Brown, Glenn
In addition, for the options file, name it ADSKFLEX.OPT and place it in the
same directory as the license file. The only variables we do not fully
support are MAX_OVERDRAFT and TIMEOUT.
--
Simon Gillis
Analyst
DPG Product Support EMEA
Autodesk WW Support & Services

"jason martin" wrote in message
news:smileyvery-happy:3A48E342314335430E158B2D3257706@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Glenn-
>
> Yes, I've used it. It works fine.
>
> Yes you can reserve licenses for full time users like you could with the
elan version, but
> the procedure is a little different. You'll need to create an options
file for the
> flexlm. The documentation for creating the options file will be in
\Program
> Files\Autodesk License Manager\docs\FlexUser folder after install or you
should be able to
> find it on the CD (I hope that they haven't moved it) in
> \netsetup\support\adlm\docs\flexuser\all.htm. Currently not all of the
items listed in
> the Flexlm options file are supported by Autodesk (like the timeout).
You'll want to look
> at the Reserve feature in the options file.
>
> hth
>
> jason martin
> frankfurt-short-bruza
>
> "Glenn Brown" wrote in message
> news:64B432C94D03D511A36200C0F055E8D30C4376@news.conisbee.co.uk...
> > Is anyone using this and if so what do they think of it?
> >
> > Can you also reserve licenses for full time cad users and have the
> > remainder of licenses used for a floating system.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Glenn
> >
>
>
*Ahava, Petri
Message 5 of 9 (295 Views)

Re:

07-17-2001 05:34 PM in reply to: *Brown, Glenn
Hi,

what do you mean "don't FULLY support"? Do you or don't you? We've been
using the timeout option as a salesargument and most of our customers have
understood the benefits. What will happen when they start implementing it?

CAD-Quality Finland Oy

Petri Ahava
Helsinki

"Simon Gillis (Autodesk Support)" wrote in message
news:AE94D1793C7DC768268984848134D490@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> In addition, for the options file, name it ADSKFLEX.OPT and place it in
the
> same directory as the license file. The only variables we do not fully
> support are MAX_OVERDRAFT and TIMEOUT.
> --
> Simon Gillis
> Analyst
> DPG Product Support EMEA
> Autodesk WW Support & Services
>
> "jason martin" wrote in message
> news:smileyvery-happy:3A48E342314335430E158B2D3257706@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > Glenn-
> >
> > Yes, I've used it. It works fine.
> >
> > Yes you can reserve licenses for full time users like you could with the
> elan version, but
> > the procedure is a little different. You'll need to create an options
> file for the
> > flexlm. The documentation for creating the options file will be in
> \Program
> > Files\Autodesk License Manager\docs\FlexUser folder after install or you
> should be able to
> > find it on the CD (I hope that they haven't moved it) in
> > \netsetup\support\adlm\docs\flexuser\all.htm. Currently not all of the
> items listed in
> > the Flexlm options file are supported by Autodesk (like the timeout).
> You'll want to look
> > at the Reserve feature in the options file.
> >
> > hth
> >
> > jason martin
> > frankfurt-short-bruza
> >
> > "Glenn Brown" wrote in message
> > news:64B432C94D03D511A36200C0F055E8D30C4376@news.conisbee.co.uk...
> > > Is anyone using this and if so what do they think of it?
> > >
> > > Can you also reserve licenses for full time cad users and have the
> > > remainder of licenses used for a floating system.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Glenn
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
*martin, jason
Message 6 of 9 (295 Views)

Re:

07-17-2001 09:04 PM in reply to: *Brown, Glenn
Petri -
Some things may have changed since I've tested it but during my testing I couldn't get it
(the timeout) to work at all. The problem, as it was explained to me is in the way that
autocad itself works. Something like an autosave would be interpreted as a command and
the timeout could be defeated by setting autosave to something like 5 minutes. On the
other hand if someone is producing a huge rendering then there might be 12 hours go by
without an actual command being entered with the keyboard/mouse, so the timeout would kick
in and kill your rendering (which would bite).
During my testing I set a timeout for 30 minutes and 4 hours later the acad session was
still up (with no input).

jason martin
frankfurt-short-bruza

"Petri Ahava" wrote in message
news:55AEB7D984C1F2E6750774F4B6B73A29@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Hi,
>
> what do you mean "don't FULLY support"? Do you or don't you? We've been
> using the timeout option as a salesargument and most of our customers have
> understood the benefits. What will happen when they start implementing it?
>
> CAD-Quality Finland Oy
>
> Petri Ahava
> Helsinki
>
> "Simon Gillis (Autodesk Support)" wrote in message
> news:AE94D1793C7DC768268984848134D490@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > In addition, for the options file, name it ADSKFLEX.OPT and place it in
> the
> > same directory as the license file. The only variables we do not fully
> > support are MAX_OVERDRAFT and TIMEOUT.
> > --
> > Simon Gillis
> > Analyst
> > DPG Product Support EMEA
> > Autodesk WW Support & Services
> >
*Support\, Autodesk
Message 7 of 9 (295 Views)

Re:

07-18-2001 12:01 AM in reply to: *Brown, Glenn
To clarify TIMEOUT only works when the heartbeat is lost i.e when a network
connection is lost NOT for periods of inactivity as we cannot determine what
actually constitutes real inactivity as Jason has helped to describe. The
Network Administrator's Guide is ambiguous regarding this and I have logged
a wish for it to be changed
--
Simon Gillis
Analyst
DPG Product Support EMEA
Autodesk WW Support & Services

"jason martin" wrote in message
news:16B8D0B36B776CB97AB3D7F955FF8ECA@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Petri -
> Some things may have changed since I've tested it but during my testing I
couldn't get it
> (the timeout) to work at all. The problem, as it was explained to me is
in the way that
> autocad itself works. Something like an autosave would be interpreted as
a command and
> the timeout could be defeated by setting autosave to something like 5
minutes. On the
> other hand if someone is producing a huge rendering then there might be 12
hours go by
> without an actual command being entered with the keyboard/mouse, so the
timeout would kick
> in and kill your rendering (which would bite).
> During my testing I set a timeout for 30 minutes and 4 hours later the
acad session was
> still up (with no input).
>
> jason martin
> frankfurt-short-bruza
>
> "Petri Ahava" wrote in message
> news:55AEB7D984C1F2E6750774F4B6B73A29@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > Hi,
> >
> > what do you mean "don't FULLY support"? Do you or don't you? We've been
> > using the timeout option as a salesargument and most of our customers
have
> > understood the benefits. What will happen when they start implementing
it?
> >
> > CAD-Quality Finland Oy
> >
> > Petri Ahava
> > Helsinki
> >
> > "Simon Gillis (Autodesk Support)" wrote in
message
> > news:AE94D1793C7DC768268984848134D490@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > > In addition, for the options file, name it ADSKFLEX.OPT and place it
in
> > the
> > > same directory as the license file. The only variables we do not fully
> > > support are MAX_OVERDRAFT and TIMEOUT.
> > > --
> > > Simon Gillis
> > > Analyst
> > > DPG Product Support EMEA
> > > Autodesk WW Support & Services
> > >
>
>
>
Contributor
ewinter
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎11-10-2003
Message 8 of 9 (295 Views)

Re:

08-30-2001 06:43 PM in reply to: *Brown, Glenn
Hi Jason,

I've already post this as a new topic, but I can't for some reason use the host_group and include (or exclude) parameters within the opt file.
The following rules in the opt file;
HOST_GROUP
INLCUDE 41100ACD_2002_0F HOST_GROUP
won't work.

What works are the includeall and the excludeall parameters.

I also read that on PC's the USER and HOST lines for the opt file are referring only to host names. Is that also thru? If so, you can not use users for controlling the licenses.

I think with this we were better off with the old Elan license manager. (Please don't make of this a discussion point. I want a solution for my opt file)

Best regards,

Edward Winter
Contributor
ewinter
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎11-10-2003
Message 9 of 9 (295 Views)

Re:

08-30-2001 09:34 PM in reply to: *Brown, Glenn
Hi to everyone



I've allready solved the problem.

I've typed the feature code of 41100ACD_2002_0F wrong (I've missed the D character).

It's working fine now.



I think I need a typing course ;-)



Regards



Edward
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.