Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FlexLM and Licencing Products

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
JShort2101
7446 Views, 12 Replies

FlexLM and Licencing Products

Hi,

Apologies if I have posted this in to the wrong forum. I am new to Autodesk products and have only just signed up for the forums. I would realy appreciate some asssitance for a customer who has been left in a bit of a mess.The customers previous support company no longer exists.

The client has four products (Maya 2009, Mudbox 2009, Motion Builder 2009 & 3DS Max 2009)

The client was going through a hardware refresh and needed to re-install NLM etc for licencing.

Client has been installing different versions of LMTools but have caused themselves problems and now nothing is working..

What version of Flex NLM should they be considering?

The versions on their CD's appear to be older versions. Should they use those or download a more recent version?

I have manged to work out the registration proccess to obtain licences. One (3DS Max) is supplied as a .LIC and the other 3 are supplied as .DAT

Can both reside within the same FlexLM environment?

Can the 3 x .DAT files be combined or not?

Many thanks in advance for any replies. Being a 'newbie' here I would greatly appreciate any information and assistance.

Kind regards.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
TravisNave
in reply to: JShort2101

Weclome to the community.

You can use the latest NLM version, but I always recommend 11.7 as it seems to be the most compatible.

I do recommend combining all the licenses and use one service to run the single license.  You can combine .LIC and .DAT without issue.  As long as the headers are the same, you can combine them.  You might have different vendors if one uses the sgiawd one instead of adsflex.exe. But you can still do it. 

For the best method to properly combine your license files, please read my entire thread here and choose the method that best fits your needs:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Combining-License-Files-for-Subscription-and-No...

For best results, respond with any follow-ups here and not in my KB thread. Thanks!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 13
JShort2101
in reply to: TravisNave

Hi Travis,

Many thanks for the prompt response. It is greatly appreciated.

Given that the customer has been trying to resolve matters themselves should I uninstall any/all previous versions before installing 11.7?

If possible I would like to ensure that their server is 'clean' before moving them forward.

Thanks again,

Message 4 of 13
TravisNave

All you need to do is install it and not use any of the others. My combine
link will hold your hand all the way. Hit me up on Monday if you need
anything.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 13
JShort2101

Thanks very much.

Have a great weekend.

Message 6 of 13
JShort2101

Hi Travis

I managed to install NLM 11.7 over the weekend. However when I run a server status I receive the following error.

-------- Status -------- Flexible License Manager status on Mon 8/19/2013 11:21

[Detecting lmgrd processes...] License server status: 7111@192.168.20.20    

License file(s) on 192.168.20.20: C:\Program Files\Autodesk Network License Manager\aw_MAYAUL2009enlicense.dat:

lmgrd is not running: Cannot connect to license server system.  

The license server manager (lmgrd) has not been started yet,  the wrong port@host or license file is being used, or the port or hostname in the license file has been changed. Server name:   192.168.20.20 License path:  7111@192.168.20.20;

FLEXnet Licensing error:-15,10.  System Error: 10061 "WinSock: Connection refused" For further information, refer to the FLEXnet Licensing documentation, available at "www.acresso.com".

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Message 7 of 13
TravisNave

Send me a PM with your license files before you combined them.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 8 of 13
JShort2101

Just sent you an email.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 13
TravisNave

Let me know if you have issues with the clarification that I provided. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 10 of 13
JShort2101

Cheers Travis,

That worked a treat. Both services are up and running and are reporting that they have licences avialable to be issued.

Just tried configuring the client and after updating the aw_servername.dat Mudbox tries to open and then states that there are no licences and starts going in a loop, but I think that I need to re-read the client side install instructions again to make sure I got that bit right.

Once again many thanks for all your help and advice. It has been greatly appreciated.

Message 11 of 13
TravisNave

Excellent.  Always glad to help.

Remember to open port 7111 as well, since the sgiawd uses that port.  The adskflex vendor uses 2080.  The lmgrd will use 27000-27009 for these two services.  Allowing exceptions for these ports, plus all 5 of the .exe files should ensure connectivity from the client to server. 

Additionally, you might want to verify connectivity from the cliet to the server with PING from the command prompt and make sure the response is the valid IPv4 address.  If it responds with IPv6 for some reason (like Win7 to Server 2008) then you will want to modify your hosts file to redirect to the IPv4 address.  My IPv6 link will walk you thru all of that. 

Good Luck!

Autodesk Forums:
Message 12 of 13
JShort2101

Hi Travis,

I hope you are keeping well.

There's been a huge amount of progress here at the school now. Many thanks for all your assistance.

May, Mudbox and Motion Builder are all running correctly and appear to be working with no problems.

3dsMax however, when opening, asks me to either register the product or run as a trial.

I tried it as a trial and the package opens and appears to be working OK.

Can you think of any reason why the PC's in question can pick up a licence for 3 products but not see the licence for the 4th one?

I have checked that the client files are installed and pointing to the server and that side of the equation seems fine.

What I have also tested is clicking the option to Activate 3dsMax and this is where it gets strange. If I insert the serial number that was used to generate the licence with Autodesk the system states that the code is invalid, but it must be correct as I was able to generate the licence on the Autodesk Portal.

Could it be possible that the DVD I used to install 3ds was a standalone version?

Seems bizarre.

Hopr to here from you soon.

Message 13 of 13
TravisNave

You simply installed it as stand-alone accidentally. Uninstall then
reinstall making sure to choose network license. That'll fix it. Good luck!

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report