Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First-time initialization runs for every new Windows user profile

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
brentlen
318 Views, 4 Replies

First-time initialization runs for every new Windows user profile

When students sign in to our Windows workstations a new profile is created on that computer.  Although I've run Autodesk for the first time (logged in as a local admin user) the students have to wait for the initialization process that runs the first time you start Autodesk.  Since we use Deep Freeze to protect our workstations this first-time initialization happens every time they come to class.  Are there any strategies to deal with this problem? Any files that could be redirected to a public/shared folder, for example?  The really strange thing is our other Autodesk lab seems to be setup the same way, but does not have this problem.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
TravisNave
in reply to: brentlen

Deep freeze does not play nice with Autodesk.

Your best bet is likely to change the registry for the local profile to something more permanent, since you are constantly changing profile rebuilds. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 5
uByte
in reply to: TravisNave

Try thawing your instance of deep freeze logging in as the user trying to connect open autocad and go through the setup then freezing it again. Once it knows that change it should work.
Message 4 of 5
brentlen
in reply to: TravisNave

That's what I suspect, Travis, but I'm not sure how to do that.  I thought I saw documentation on this topic a year or two ago but I can't  find it again.

uBtye, thawing once works for that user.  My problem is I have dozens of students using each of these computers.

Message 5 of 5
uByte
in reply to: brentlen

Unfortuantly that is one of the things that sucks about Deep Freeze. You actually have to go to each individual computer and do this on. But I believe once you do it once then you should be set. At least you know that all of the computers are the same and that you aren't having to worry about the fact that they are getting infected every time around. 

All that being said you might be able to do limit a lot of the restrictions with Group Policy via a Domain Controller (should you have one). Then you would only have to make the changes once and then push the update to all the users. It is more of a nightmare setting up and confirming everything works but when you get it then you don't have to do it a million times. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report