Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3
rblalock
127 Views, 2 Replies

Fiber channel anyone?

Anyone using fiber channel disk arrays? Just wondering if the cost is worth any performance gains for loading AutoCAD files. Our network is pretty fast (gigabit) but I'm wondering of the users would see much of a difference with load times with 'all other things being equal' being served off fiber with a 10Gb backbone switch.

- Richard
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
TravisNave
in reply to: rblalock

Ha, AutoCAD runs so slowly on even the best workstations, I'd hardly think you'd notice the difference on network speed. If AutoCAD can find a bottleneck, it will exploit it. 😉

Sounds impressive though.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 3
rblalock
in reply to: rblalock

If you think it's slow now, try running it on a 286. I came across some old numbers I had kept, 8m40s to load and 1m43s to redraw a 750kb drawing. Better display drivers/cards (Panacea, Nth Engine, etc.) and virtual disks made it less painful.

I think we get reasonable performance now, just looking at adding storage and wondering if fiber would be worth the cost. I guess once 10gb gets reasonable to the desktop then it would be more effective, of course then 100gb will be around the bend.

- Richard

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report