Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 1053 when starting service

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
sakkaku
17535 Views, 8 Replies

Error 1053 when starting service

When I attempt to start the license manager as a service it immediately pops up with:

"Windows could not start the service on local computer.
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

If I tick off the "Use Services" check box under the "Config Services" tab in LMTOOLS then I can start it via the "Start/Stop/Restart" tab. I have spent several hours perusing google to find a solution (most of which seem to go hand in hand with IIS), but none seem to be related to the license manager.

Anyone know a solution?
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
sakkaku
in reply to: sakkaku

I found a solution that seems to be working.

The executable shipped with the product are 32bit while I was using a 64bit OS (Server 2008). Doing a little research I found that flexlm/flexnet was bought out by Acresso Software. From there I was able to locate an up to date version of Flexlm that was 64bit via http://www.globes.com/support/fnp_utilities_download.htm

Replace the executables except for the autodesk daemon (adskflex), set the configuration and it should start right up.
Message 3 of 9
gparent

Hi,

I'm having the same issue, I've installed FlexLM on a Windows 2003 (SP1 32bits), it runs fine in "manual" mode, with LMtools running with a user loggued in,  but I am unable to install it as a service using LMTools (Use Services checkbox under the "Config Services" tab.

If I try to start the server as a service it give the generic error:

Server Start Failed. The Server May Already Be Running!! (it isn't)

If I try to ReRead License File it gices the error:

Reread Server Failed.

It does create the service in windows, but trying to start the service gives an error

"Could not start the service name service on Local Computer" Error 193: 0xc1

Any help, suggestions??

Marc

Message 4 of 9
gparent
in reply to: gparent

Forgot to mention, I've also installed the latest FlexLM version, the one from Acresso.

Message 5 of 9
TravisNave

The latest version now at the time of this post is 11.8 and is provided by Flexera.  You can download the appropriate 32-bit version for your Server 2003 here:

http://www.globes.com/support/fnp_utilities_downlo ad.htm

I would recommend the following steps:

1.  Open LMTOOLS

2.  Stop the service from Stop/Start/Reread, making sure the Force Server Shutdown box is checked.

3.  Remove the service from the Config Services tab. 

4.  Recreate the service (default name is Flexlm Service 1) pointing to all the correct files.  Create a new debug.log file if an old one already exists.  Check both boxes at the bottom and save the service.

5.  Start the service from the Stop/Start/Reread tab.

I also highly recommend adding all four NLM .exe files to the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) exception list found under the WIndows System Properties > Advanced tab > Performance settings > Data Execution Prevention tab. 

If you still have problems, please let me know. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 6 of 9
gparent

Hi,

Hadn't thought of DEP!

I've updated to Flexera and made the changes to DEP.

Unfortunatly DEP requires a reboot and the server is used by that department for some other purpose, so I can only reboot it off hours.

I'll keep you posted, thank you for the fast reply!

Marc

Message 7 of 9
gparent

I found the culprit... the service wouldn't start because there are spaces in the path...

(ie: D:\Program Files\AutoCAD License Manager\...)

Here's the fix:

To resolve this issue, add quotation marks around the following entry in the Windows registry, where <ServiceName> is the name of the service:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\<ServiceName>\ImagePath

The ImagePath entry contains the path of the executable file for the service. To add quotation marks around the ImagePath entry for a service:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
  3. Locate, and then click the following registry entry, where <ServiceName> is the name of the service:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\<ServiceName>.
    For example, if the service is named MyService, locate the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MyService key.
  4. In the right pane, double-click ImagePath.
  5. In the Value data box, add quotation marks around the complete path of the executable file for the service.

For example, if the path of the MyService service is C:\Program Files\MyProgram\MyService.exe, change the entry in the Value data box for the MyService service to the following
    "C:\Program Files\MyProgram\MyService.exe"
  6. Click OK, and then quit Registry Editor.

Thanks for your help!

Marc

Message 8 of 9
TravisNave

Very good find and thanks for sharing that information.  It's strange that sometimes spaces will still break programs even though they work for 99% of everyone else. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 9 of 9
yerra_tarakeswari

What if the error still exists?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report