Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Educational version of SMOKE will not activate

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
alex.alexpeters
1161 Views, 16 Replies

Educational version of SMOKE will not activate

Hi there,

i wonder if someone can please help me with this as i spent almost 4 hours last night chatting to agents who were less than helpfull to be very polite trying to simply activate my free educational 3 year license for smoke.

As per directions i downloaded and installed the actual software twice but when i go to activate it it says the serial number is invalid. Also when i download it  under the educational free downloads section it says i have opted for the 30 day free trial and does not give me the option for the 3 year free license...maybe this is something to do with it but i can see no other way or option to download it?

A very frustrated Digital effects student would really appreciate help as i feel like i am sitting on a merry go round only it's not that much fun!

Cheers

Alex

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Hi Alex,

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience trying to activate Smoke. Please, send me a Private Message with the Serial Number and Product Key you are using to activate your product and I'll get this sorted for you asap.

Thank you,

Camilo Lemos

Message 3 of 17

Hi Alex.

Is your Mac on OS X 10.9 ("Mavericks") by any chance?

If so, then that is the problem. Smoke's stand-alone license activation does not work on OS 10.9. It's a known bug.

There are also a few other significant issues we've encountered on Mavericks and are working on fixing them.

In the meantime, we recommend against using Smoke on OS 10.9.

Best regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 4 of 17
filmprof
in reply to: Robert.Adam

Hi there,

My Smoke Education license does not activate and yes I have a Mac Pro with Maverick 10.9.3. Has that issue been fixed yet or is there another issue lurking? Is there any way to pay for telephone support where you can actually speak to a human being?

Please advise,

Dale

Dale.Melgaard@UNLV.EDU

Message 5 of 17
jessica.t
in reply to: filmprof

Hi @filmprof and welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Yes, Autodesk Smoke 2015 is compatible with Mavericks. Please see the system requirements. A screenshot (omitting any sensitive license information) would be very helpful in order to better understand what you are seeing. Internally, I see that an "import" error has generated from the last activation:

Asset cannot be Imported. No private or Public exports are available. Please export your license from an installation.

Did you try to transfer this license from another computer? Any further details on the steps you took before the error occurred would be great. Thank you!

Jessica Thrasher
Message 6 of 17
Robert.Adam
in reply to: jessica.t

Hi Dale.

Smoke should activate on Mavericks.

There are two flavors of Smoke 2015: the "perpetual license" version and the "desktop subscription" version. Student serial numbers only work with the Desktop Subscription flavor.

Please take a look at the dmg file you downloaded and make sure there's an _r_ in the filename. That indicates that you're installing the correct flavor of Smoke.

If the filename does have the _r_ but you're still unable to activate Smoke, please send me your serial number via private message and I'll open a support ticket for you.

Best regards,

robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 7 of 17
filmprof

Hello Jessica & Robert,

autodesk_smoke_r_2015_SP1_english_Mac_OSX.dmg is the file I downloaded.

Screen Shot 2014-06-14 at 11.18.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-06-14 at 11.22.17 AM.png

What should I do next?

all the best,

Dale

Message 8 of 17
Robert.Adam

Hi Dale and thanks for the info.

You do have the right DMG file, but it appears that you did't select the right licensing option in the installer.

The student version of Smoke only works with a standalone license, not a network license. It therefore does not use the license server.

You must uninstall Smoke, then run the installer again and make sure to select "standalone" in the licensing step, where you also enter your serial number.

Please let me know how that goes.

Best regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 9 of 17
filmprof

Hi Robert,

I did as you suggested and un-installed Smoke and then selected "Standalone" when reinstalling it, but I still got the "unable to find license" message... and the licence information was in place on the "Standalone" choice screen. What should I try next?

All the best,

Dale Melgaard

Message 10 of 17
sorb78

Could you post some screenshots? I think it's strange if you have an option to chose either Networked or Standalone since Smoke 2015 Desktop Subscription Edition is not available as a Network license. Try this download if you didn't:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/smoke/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-smoke-2015-des...

Message 11 of 17
filmprof
in reply to: sorb78

Hi Robert and Sorb78,

Does not this screen indicate that the license is OK? However the error message says the storage location is either missing or invalid yet the Set Up Utility indicates that my esata disk array is present. Also, just for grins I oppened the service monitor which verified valid storage, but said it could not start the license. Does everybody have this much trouble or is it just me? Probably just me, but help.

All the best,

Dale

Screen Shot 2014-06-26 at 4.00.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-06-26 at 3.58.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-06-26 at 4.03.03 AM.png

Message 12 of 17
sorb78

Hi Dale,

Yes the license is ok since you are getting that far. It is also ok that the License Server is unable to start because that thing is only used for Network licenses and you have a Standalone license.

So your problem now is with the Media Storage Location. Could you try to Add it again on the second screen?

I don't think it's just you who had problems with the media storage, you might be able to find something about it on Google maybe.

/Stefan

Message 13 of 17
filmprof
in reply to: sorb78

Hi Sorb 78,

Thanks for the advice. I created a new folder on my disk array and connected it with the utilities set up and it worked.

All the best,

Dale

Message 14 of 17
sorb78

Ok great!! Thanks for letting us know.
Message 15 of 17
maruthig
in reply to: alex.alexpeters

I too have the same isuue. Its sucking me men... Tried a lot, couldnt get rid of it...

Message 16 of 17

Is there a known issue for the Autodesk_Alias_Design_2015_English_Mac_OSX.dmg on Mavericks 10.9.5 also? I have tried all the serial numbers our educational licenses have with product keys and am getting nowhere.

Message 17 of 17
sorb78
in reply to: nwsa_techadmin

Not that I know of. But why not try Alias 2016?

You can make a new topic and describe more what happens...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report