Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading revit 2014 using Windows Vista OS

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
cdkorlando
2816 Views, 8 Replies

Downloading revit 2014 using Windows Vista OS

I have windows Vista 64 bit home permium.  I am trying to download the educational version of Revit 2014 and after the download it gives me an error message indicating it is an unsupported ooperating system and i cannot install this product on the current operating system.  Has anybody else encountered this problem?  Any suggestions on a fix?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
philip.s
in reply to: cdkorlando

Hi Chris!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but beginning January 1, 2012, we actually ceased support of the Microsoft Windows Vista Operating System for all new (and upgraded versions) of our products and services, which would explain the error.

Microsoft Windows Vista Support FAQ - LINK

Revit 2014 System Requirements - LINK

Here to help if additional clarification is needed, otherwise please accept as a solution so that others can benefit from this information.

Message 3 of 9
abe
Participant
in reply to: philip.s

I'm really disgusted that Vista is no longer supported! It is so similar to Seven, why not allow it. This is terribly frustrating.

Abe Degnan
I've been a Revit user since version 1.x circa 1999, but I'm not a full-time user in my daily job.
www.degnandesignbuilders.com
Message 4 of 9
dgorsman
in reply to: abe

In the computer world, "similar" is not "identical".  Its not a matter of "allow", its a business decision comparing the amount of work needed to support it vs. the life expectancy of Vista vs. the relative numbers of users.  The mass of users who were waiting for XP to be on its last legs went to the latest proven product, Win 7 instead.

It happens.  Its not under our control.  We move forward, and focus on the things we can affect.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 9
pendean
in reply to: cdkorlando

May I ask why you did not take the time to review system requirements before posting?
Do you normally make decisions, especially costly ones, without research normally?

There is this workaround for AutoCAD, perhaps with some additional research on your part you can find a workaround:
http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2013/07/unsupported-autocad-2014-on-windows-vista.html

Or get Win 7 as an upgrade to your OS, it should be relatively painless if your vista system has nothing too exotic.
Message 6 of 9
abe
Participant
in reply to: pendean

You know,I've been using Revit since version 1.x in about 1999. I'm on subscription. I get the new upgrade every year. I use the upgrade every year or 2nd year. Never, since 1999, have I been forced against my will to upgrade my OS. I mean, I was still using 2010 or 2011 on a Win XP machine until recently. So for them to abandon an OS so soon, while there are still many good machines out there, is unprecidented. In 14 or 15 years of Revit, this is the first time. Of all the other software I used, I've never been forced to upgrade my OS because they've prematurely abandoned support for an OS. Most of my machines run Vista and they are perfectly good; there is no need to upgrade them to 7 or 8!

Quickbooks, SQL, Office, Google-- they all work on Vista.

I have colleagues outside my office who use Revit 2014, so I don't necessarily have the option of staing with 2013. That's the problem. And no, I didn't look at the system requirements before I attempted to upgrade. Like I said, I've been a loyal Revit subscriber since 1999, so I never expected this to happen on a newer OS. I've always worried about machine specs, not about the OS. I abandon my machines for their specs, not their OS. Its unprecidented in my experience.

Thanks for posting the work-around. I'll try to figure something out.

Abe Degnan
I've been a Revit user since version 1.x circa 1999, but I'm not a full-time user in my daily job.
Message 7 of 9
DarrenP

you can try to edit the setup.ini
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/How-to-edit-Inventor-2014-setup-ini-for-Vista-6...
i know its for inventor but this should work for other autodesk products
the hotfix they are talking about is for inventor only

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
pendean

Always worry about the OS: with both Microsofot and Apple moving to what apears to be much closer major releases the days of kicking back are long gone.

Always, ALWAYS, confirm system requirements before upgrading: consider this a paineful lesson learned, we all go through it. It's painful, we know, we've been there and surprised by it. We feel your pain.

Message 9 of 9
abe
Participant
in reply to: DarrenP

DarrenP, thank you. Using a variation of this method... I deleted the entire "custom callback" section and it appears to have worked successfully for me! Thank you.
Abe Degnan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report