Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does server name matter??

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
179 Views, 2 Replies

Does server name matter??

Hello, This may be a stupid question, but I am going to ask it anyway. Does changing the server name have any effect on the network license string? We have Map 5 and Map 2004 (Series and Non-series) running on our license server, and I just found out that IT staff went and changed the server name while I was out last week. Will this have any effect on our license availability? We haven't seen any problems so far, but just want to be able to head any problems off before they occur. Thanx, Kevin
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

If you're using FlexLM (I don't have Map, so I'm not sure), I believe the license file uses both the server name and MAC address to locate the correct license server. When our server name/MAC address changed, I updated the licpath file on all the workstations to ensure that they were looking to the correct server for their license. "Kevin" wrote in message news:40697017$1_3@newsprd01... > Hello, > > This may be a stupid question, but I am going to ask it anyway. Does > changing the server name have any effect on the network license string? > > We have Map 5 and Map 2004 (Series and Non-series) running on our license > server, and I just found out that IT staff went and changed the server name > while I was out last week. Will this have any effect on our license > availability? > > We haven't seen any problems so far, but just want to be able to head any > problems off before they occur. > > Thanx, > Kevin > >
Message 3 of 3
patrick_aps
in reply to: Anonymous

Perhaps you didn't have any problems because the IT staff kept the old name in a DNS or WINS list so that the requests are automaticly transmitted to the same server with the new name...
If they did not, it can be the old name dissappears (after a month or so) out of these lists automaticly, and then problems appear apparantly for no reason.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report