Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dividing Building design suite among multiple computers

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
wmbatech
1433 Views, 3 Replies

Dividing Building design suite among multiple computers

I have a question that is confusing the heck out of me and my office. Currently my license is for building design suite ultimate. I have a powerful desktop that will run Revit, 3ds Max, AutoCAD etc... but I would like to be able to use Navisworks Manage on a laptop that can migrate to different offices and coordination meetings freely. I guess the big question is if I install everything except navisworks and install navisworks ONLY on the laptop is this ok and will this throw up a big red flag with autodesk licensing. There may and WILL be instances where I will need to have Revit open on my desktop and at the same time navisworks open on the laptop so that I can import/export back and forth to resolve clashes. My worry is that if even though Revit and Navisworks are two completely different programs they are using the same license number and we will get one of those nasty letters from autodesk haha. Thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
avto
in reply to: wmbatech

Thank you for using Autodesk forums.

You can install only Navisworks Manage from your Building Design Suite Ultimate package on your laptop (you can also use Autodesk Virtual Agent to download and install only NW Manage installer). Please note that, if you would like to use NW on your laptop concurrently with other BDSU products (e.g. Revit) on your desktop you need to have 2 licenses for your suite.

FYI, to download NW Manage installer from Autodesk Virtual agent please follow steps below.

1.Go to http://www.autodesk.com

2.At the bottom of the page, beneath Help and Support, click Customer Service.

3.Click the Ask button.

4.In the Virtual Agent window

5.Click Download links.

--Click "Navisworks Products" then “Navisworks Manage”

6.Select the appropriate product and click the link to download.

Best regards,

Avto Chachava
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 4
wmbatech
in reply to: avto

Personally I think this should be something autodesk looks at including in their software. I know I am not the only person who has this workflow and I can see many instances where you would have a Revit/AutoCAD instance open on one computer and possibly a rendering station right beside you running max or coordination model running navisworks passing models back and forth. In the instance of max you could export revit models to render in max on another computer and not use precios cpu power and memory on your revit computer. Just seems like a limitation of such a hugely expensive software.

Message 4 of 4
dembkod
in reply to: wmbatech

jrharvey ,

Hello. The issue you are discussing really depends on your license type. The suite is considered one product. When you buy a suite you have purchased one product, not a dozen separate products that you can divide over different machines.

Suites are designed to provide a bulk of functionality for a user, not to be split over different machines.

However, this is really only a concern for users that have standalone licenses. If your workflow requires users over different machines, you should consider a Network licensing model.

This lets you install the suite on multiple machines, or parts of the suite, and will only use a license when you access a program on a terminal. You will still need multiple licenses if you want to use multiple machines at the same time, but allows you flexibility over multiple machines.

Thank you for taking part in our community!

David Dembkoski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report