Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Connect not reinstalling with 3DS Max after uninstall

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
kaptkz
3347 Views, 2 Replies

Direct Connect not reinstalling with 3DS Max after uninstall

Hi,

I've searched the boards for help on this issue and nothing seems to work. Here's the situation: I installed Autodesk 3DS Max so that I could use it with another program. However, I discovered after the initial install on my 64 bit Win7 machine that the third party software needs the 32 bit version.

So, I used the Windows uninstall method to remove the 64 bit 3DS Max which appeared to work fine. I then installed the 32 bit version from the DVD. I tried to read in an IGES file and I got an error saying DirectConnect was not installed. I check, sure enough it's not. So I find the .msi for DirectConnect on the 3DS Max DVD and install it. I try to import the IGES file in 3DS Max again, and it still throws the same error.

Now I hit the Autodesk message boards and see all these Autodesk/Windows uninstall tools and discussions about manually removing registries and try those methods to no avail. All that the Autodesk Help section says is that DirectConnect will be installed automatically during 3DS Max install. So, for some reason, 3DS Max thinks DirectConnect is already installed and won't install it. When manually installed, it won't recognize it and I don't know how to force 3DS Max to find it.

Anyway, here are the methods I've tried (each step was followed by a 3DS Max reinstall where DirectConnect was not installed). Thanks for any help I can get on this!

1. Windows Uninstall (all Autodesk products)

2. Windows Fix it Uninstall Tool

3. Automated ADSUninstall tool from Autodesk (here)

4. Manual uninstall method outlined near middle of page here (deleting all autodesk and direct connect or directconnect folders in registry -Wow6432Node too- and windows explorer and deleting %TEMP% folder contents)

5. Same as attempt # 4 but looking in the following registry key locations for Autodesk products as outlined here (did not find anything to delete):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall]

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Brink_Helsinki
in reply to: kaptkz

Did you get any help with this? I'm trying to import an IGES-file, but max (2013) can't find DirectConnect.

I didn't try reinstalling max just yet though.

Message 3 of 3

I got the import working by installing AutodeskDirectConnect7.0.msi that was located in the install files:

\3ds_Max_2013_64bit\x64\DirectConnect

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report