Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deployment difficulties

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
326 Views, 13 Replies

Deployment difficulties

I have created my deployments for AutoCAD 2006 (network and multi-seat standalone's) and RasterDesign 2006 (network and multi-seat standalone's).

The users have read access to the server where the deployments reside.

The users are "powerusers" on their machines and I have administrator rights.

If I log on to the machine, launch the deployment, it works.
If I give the users admin rights (temporarily just to do the install), restart the computer and try to launch the deployment, it looks like it will start to run (cursor turns to hourglass for a few seconds) but then nothing else happens.
When I give them Admin rights, it is the same rights that I have.

To launch the deployment I am going to "Start" > "Run" and then browse my way to the shortcut in the Deployment folder.

Any ideas on why this happens?

We are all on Dell Optiplex PC's Running Windows XP Pro SP2

Thanks,
Don Jacobsen
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Do the workstations have .NET framework 1.1 installed?

John Postlewait
IS Department
George Butler Associates, Inc.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

Yes - They all have .Net 1.1

Don
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

Hi,
What can you see in the log file create on the Pc client?

Franck Hervet
www.aricad.fr

a écrit dans le message de news:5100632@discussion.autodesk.com...
I have created my deployments for AutoCAD 2006 (network and multi-seat
standalone's) and RasterDesign 2006 (network and multi-seat standalone's).

The users have read access to the server where the deployments reside.

The users are "powerusers" on their machines and I have administrator
rights.

If I log on to the machine, launch the deployment, it works.
If I give the users admin rights (temporarily just to do the install),
restart the computer and try to launch the deployment, it looks like it will
start to run (cursor turns to hourglass for a few seconds) but then nothing
else happens.
When I give them Admin rights, it is the same rights that I have.

To launch the deployment I am going to "Start" > "Run" and then browse my
way to the shortcut in the Deployment folder.

Any ideas on why this happens?

We are all on Dell Optiplex PC's Running Windows XP Pro SP2

Thanks,
Don Jacobsen
Message 5 of 14
TravisNave

Users need to have WRITE access to the deployment folder. When you make them local admins, this has no effect on their network permissions. The deployment keeps a log of the deployment on the server while it is running. If it can't write, it will fail out. This is why it works for you and not for them. You have write access to the UNC path. They do not.

Furthermore, you should UNCHECK the silent mode installation in your deployment so that you get an error instead of a silent failure.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

I turned off the client log when I built the deployments.

I guess I have two options - I can turn them back on and see what it says next time or I'll just do the installs while I am logged on to the computer.

Don
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

At first I did have the users with read and write access to the server (Sorry I forgot to mention that in my first post). According to the documentation on the Autocad CD (Network Administrator's Guide.pdf page 19), the users only require Read permissions to the share and Admin permissions on the workstation. So I went back and changed it to read only to see if that would do anything.

But I will go back and uncheck the silent mode and I'll enable the client log to see what kind of an error I get.

Thanks to everyone for their help so far.

Don
Message 8 of 14
TravisNave

Sometimes just unchecking silent mode makes the deployment work. It is magic!

I always recommend write access for all users on that share. You will notice it writes a log to the deployment during installation. I've only experienced problems like this when I failed to give appropriate permissions. Give it a shot. You can always change it later. I keep copies of my deployments on disc. 😉

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

Taking the check mark out of the "silent Install" box did the trick. Amazing 🙂

The only other anomaly I encountered was when the install routine got to the license agreement screen, there was no "accept" or "reject" button to click and so I was stuck at that screen. I had to cancel the install but I ran it again and on the 2nd attempt it gave me the buttons so I could accept and continue on.

Anyway, Thanks again for your help - I never would've thought to uncheck the silent install to make it work.

Don
Message 10 of 14
TravisNave

I told you it was magic.

Trust me, after a million installations... you learn weird and different tricks.

;-)

Autodesk Forums:
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

TravisNave said the following on 3/2/2006 4:28 PM:
> Users need to have WRITE access to the deployment folder.

Unless you specify a different location for the log file, correct?

--
R.K. McSwain
http://rkmcswain.blogspot.com
Message 12 of 14
TravisNave

Correct.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

TravisNave said the following on 3/7/2006 10:04 AM:
> Correct.

Just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing. Our
deployment/adminimage location is read-only.

--
R.K. McSwain
http://rkmcswain.blogspot.com
Message 14 of 14
TravisNave

Right. Generally, the default location is set for the same share. Most general users ignore the setting.

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report