Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Creating a deployment that can run from a DVD

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
230 Views, 4 Replies

Creating a deployment that can run from a DVD

I have searched the forums about this topic. From what I have found, they always tell the person how to copy the deployment to a local server and then run the deployment. What I need to know is this, can a deployment be created that runs the deployment solely from a DVD. It will be a network version that is set up as a redundant server configuration. So a network is available in these locations, however it is slow and can be up to 1,500 miles away in many cases. Traveling to multiple sites that may only have 2 or 3 employees is not a cost affective option. The software that we need to install is Infrastructure Design Suite Standard (Autocad Map). It will be on Windows 7, 32 and 64 bit operating systems. 

If this can not be done, then I will quite looking for a solution and start making reservations. I really hope I don't have to do that. 

Jim

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dembkod
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello. This is a reply to an older post, but I thought the information was good. If you want to build an actual ā€œDeploymentā€ and burn to disk, it will likely not work.

You could certainly test it, but these are the hurdles I would expect:

-The deployment itself will likely be bigger than the dvd media and not fit
-if you burned a blue-ray, maybe a suite would fit
    -Youā€™d need a bluray burner, possibly

-Your users would need blueray drives to run the media
-If you only built a deployment for one program it may fit on a dual-layer dvd
-Deployments path to a specific location and it becomes coded in the installation files. If you built a deployment to the s:\server\autocad\ folder on your network, and burned the results to a dvd, when you ran the dvd, the installer continues to look for s:\server\autocad\ and would not work.
-If you burned the deployment to the disk drive, the naming convention of the disk drive would have to be the same on all your machines. If the DVD drive on the machine where you built the deployment was pathed to the D:\ drive, the deployment would reflect the D drive. If my PC had the disk drive labelled as ā€œE:ā€ I could not run the deployment.
This is if you build a deployment image.

You could, of course, burn the exe files to individual disks and send to users. They would have to copy the disks local and run the exe and follow the prompts.

Thank you for taking part in our community!

David Dembkoski
Message 3 of 5
TravisNave
in reply to: Anonymous

In my experience, I would build a deployment, copy the deployment to disc, then copy the disc back to the alternate location (edit the .ini files as appropriate) and install that way.  If you try to install from disc, you will get an "Insert Disc 2" error. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 4 of 5
OBERDACKER
in reply to: TravisNave

TravisNave, I am trying to create an deployment for the first time and was hoping you'd be able to expand a bit on what you mean when you say "edit the .ini files as appropriate"? What should I look for in the .ini file that is created by the deployment wizard?
Message 5 of 5
TravisNave
in reply to: OBERDACKER

You would look for the UNC path of the original server shared location.
Hope that helps.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report