Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatible Mechanical Desktop 2009 for Inventor 2010

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
avto
4198 Views, 18 Replies

Compatible Mechanical Desktop 2009 for Inventor 2010

Recently Autodesk Product Support was asked:
We have a new machine that we installed the 2010 Inventor Suite on but now need Mechanical Desktop 2009 installed to work with legacy jobs.
This is a common question that we would like to get a solution out to a larger audience of users.
If you are a previously licensed user of Mechanical Desktop software and have uninstalled Mechanical Desktop 2009 or are installing Inventor 2010 on a new computer then you will need to download new installation files that are compatible with Inventor 2010.
The new installer for AutoCAD Mechanical Desktop 2009 is provided by a self-contained installation file that you can download here.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?id=13744274&siteID=123112

Avto Chachava, Autodesk Product Support

Avto Chachava
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
alex_m_ganhao
in reply to: avto

Will MDT2009 work with Inventor 2010 or 2011 on a Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit) OS?

Inventor Pro 2013 (waiting for SP1)
Lenovo W520 ThinkPad
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit
Intel i7-2760QM CPU @ 2.4GHz
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 1000M
Message 3 of 19
TravisNave
in reply to: alex_m_ganhao

Windows 7 is not supported for Autodesk 2009 products and prior.  My recommendation would be to use the free Windows XP Virtual PC provided by Microsoft for Windows 7 users. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 4 of 19
mikeg
in reply to: TravisNave

this is not entirely true.  I had MDT2009 installed on my WS while using Vista 64.  I then did an upgrade to Windows 7 and MDT2009 still ran fine.  Unfortunantly, I had other issues with the upgrade and have now reformatted and installed a full blown copy of Win-7 and now I can't install the MDT Download.  So, I guess I'll have to go to the virtual machine.  It was a sad day when Autodesk droped MTD.  I tried to open an MDT file in Mechanical and it says I cannot modify a MDT file.   I have about 5 yrs woth of MDT files still to work with...Not good news for me.

This is the error I get.

MDT_Error-2011-05-06_0657.png

Message 5 of 19
TravisNave

Depends on your perspective. It was a happy day to many when MDT was buried. Autodesk gave everyone over four years notice that it was coming. That's more than enough time to prepare, rather than procrastinate. RIP MDT!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 6 of 19
mikeg

Well,

Not to start a flame war, but if you are the only designer in the company you generally have current things to work on rather than updating old drawings/parts to a new format...please don't generalize.  And besides, in my opinion, MDT was far superior to Mechanical.

Message 7 of 19
mikeg

@TravisNave wrote:

Windows 7 is not supported for Autodesk 2009 products and prior.  My recommendation would be to use the free Windows XP Virtual PC provided by Microsoft for Windows 7 users. 

Just to let everybody that cares know, if you right click on the "acad" windows installer and run "Troubleshoot Compatibility", this will dissable the version check.  Then, run the install and MDT2009 will run on Windows 7.

Message 8 of 19
TravisNave

Autodesk added retroactive support for MDT2009 as part of the AIS2010 package. You're duplicating known information and adding it to an ancient post in this forum. Compatibility mode is not necessary nor supported. Additionally it is not a supported platform for products prior to the 2010 release with exception to MDT.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 9 of 19
mikeg

Whatever...it would not run on my windows 7 unless I used the compatability...nobody told you you had to come out and read an old post.  I have not had to reistall for a few years, so it is not old to me.  And my not be old to someone else...

Message 10 of 19
TravisNave

You are providing invalid and unsupported information when there is already a new and supported method provided by Autodesk.

You are responding with irrelevant information to an outdated post to which there is now an officially supported method.

I urge any registered user of MDT 2009 who is having problems installing on Windows 7 64-bit to ignore this old information and instead refer to the supported version found here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?id=13744274&siteID=123112

Please understand that this forum is here to help fellow users with valid data. In the future, I would recommend creating a new post rather than responding to one with outdated information.

I wish you luck with your installation issue.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 11 of 19
jasonlester

I have and older version of Maechanical Desktop. (release 4) We are a small company (8 empolyees) We use autoCAD maybe a couple times a year. Currently it is running on an old windows 98 machine. I recently got a new laptop and was aslo told about running older programs in windows 7 My new machine is Win 7 Pro 64 bit. I get anerror about it being uncompatable because of the 64 bit thing. Is there a way to make it load? Like I said we are small and cannot really justify an upgrade with the amount we use it.
Message 12 of 19
TravisNave

No, Windows 7 does not offer any support for 16-bit applications. You might have luck using the Windows XP Virtual Console from Microsoft.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 13 of 19
jasonlester

Yep that is exactly what I ended up doing. Windows XP mode and install under that. All up and running great. Thanks Jason
Message 14 of 19
TravisNave
in reply to: jasonlester

Excellent!  Glad you are up and running.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 15 of 19
aguitton116

Hi, another question about MDT2009 and Inventor 2011 this time. How can we activate it. My client asked Autodesk activation service and they tell them that he can't activate with an Inventor 2011 key. The fact is that this customer precisely chose Inventor in order to keep its old design and migrate them to Inventor 2011. It's working (I know this because on my computer I activated MDT 2009 a long time ago and I can still migrate datas to Inventor 2011), but for new users it seems impossible. How can he activate his licence legally ?

Message 16 of 19
TravisNave
in reply to: aguitton116

He will need to contact Autodesk for a prior use license for MDT 2009 under Subscription. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 17 of 19
danielolvera

I already download this software still I'm not able to install it on windows 7 help please 😞

Message 18 of 19
philip.s
in reply to: danielolvera

Hi Daniel,

What sort of install fail are you getting? MDT 2009 is not compatible to run on Windows 7 per the system requirements. Have you tried in XP / Compatibility mode?

Message 19 of 19
danielolvera
in reply to: philip.s

yes I already try the xp compatibility mode and also the vista compatibility in vain, the error happens in the end while installing the mechanical desktop, on the log file generated i found this: Install??? Autodesk Mechanical Desktop 2009??? Failed??? Installation aborted, Result=1603 ? DI Luis Daniel Olvera Alvarez Dise?o Neko S.A. de C.V. ? Altata #51-402 Col. Condesa Del. Cuauhtemoc CP 06100 M?xico DF Tel/Fax: 01 (55)?52773703 M?vil: 044 5516455275 E-mail: danielolvera@nekomexico.com Website:www.nekomexico.com Facebook: www.facebook.com/nekomexico Twiter: http://twitter.com/nekomexico

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report