Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparison of network licensing types

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
rjaynes
565 Views, 6 Replies

Comparison of network licensing types

I am trying to decide upon a Single Server or Distributed license server model.  My issue is that if I use the single server method I have to put in on a computer that can be left running at all times.  The drawback here is that the teachers who would be using the Audodesk software use laptops and if they are not present here on the network will they be able to run the software?

The opposite question is if I use the distributed license model and set each of their three laptops up as license servers, what happens to the clients in-building when those laptops are not present on the network?

Either method seems to have a drawback so I am looking for the pros and cons of each.

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
TravisNave
in reply to: rjaynes

I recommend the single license server.  When your instructors wish to take their laptops offline, they can first borrow their network license and it will work while away.  That will leave the existing license manager for others to access.  Furthermore, it will be easier if you ever set up VPN access to the license server while remote. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 7
rjaynes
in reply to: TravisNave

TravisNave,

Thank you for your response.  How do they "borrow" the network license when going off-site?  I am new to this software and have never used/installed it before.

Message 4 of 7
TravisNave

Borrowing is under the Tools menu or under Help > About > Product Information.  The user can simply borrow the license up to 6 months and go offsite.  It's very convenient.  Smiley Happy

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 7
JTBWorld

You might want to limit maximum borrowing time using the options file because if you don't and the laptop is stolen or the like the license will be unavailable for the rest of the borrowing time.

Jimmy Bergmark
JTB World - Software development and consulting for CAD and license usage reports
https://jtbworld.com

Message 6 of 7
rjaynes
in reply to: JTBWorld

I have a further question.  We deployed the software via network share and the "psexec" utility.  Apparently they all installed as "standalone" mode.  Is there a way I can mass-uninstall them and then re-deply from the NLM?

I know that is a loaded question however I would appreciate a stepped out process.

Thank you.

Message 7 of 7
TravisNave

Oops!  That's an unfortunate mistake.  You might try this on one of your machines to see if it works.  It might save you some uninstall/reinstall time.  It's hit or miss.  Some have had luck but I have not.

http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2012/04/autocad-family-2013-hacking-the-registry-to-chang...

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report