Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checkout Checkin Checkout Checkin .... repeat

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
792 Views, 8 Replies

Checkout Checkin Checkout Checkin .... repeat

Has anyone else come across this...

We've just recently set up a redundant server model and so I regularly go through the log file to check that everything is still working correctly. Yesterday I noticed one particular user checking out his license a few seconds after checking it in. There were logs of this happening throughout the day. This morning there were several occurences of this again, so I gave him a call and asked him if he was experiencing any problems. He had no idea what i was talking about! Apparently he's been working on his AutoCAD all day and hasn't noticed anything of it checking the license in and out.  

Does anyone have an idea as to why LM Tools is doing this and how to get it back to normal?  

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
TravisNave
in reply to: Anonymous

Potentially is a side-effect of the 3 servers updating each other.  The redundant model is indeed redundant only in the amount of work required to implement it.  It's actually less stable than a single or distributed license model.  You might reconsider...

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Thanks Travis

I guess it's not affecting anyone negatively at the moment and moving over from a single model to redundant was too much of a mission to lightly reconsider going back to a single or distributed model.

Message 4 of 9
TravisNave

Ha!  Yeah, trust me I know.  That redundant setup is a lot of work.  Hopefully it won't give you lots of problems.  Maintaining it is a lot of work too.  If you run into any issues, just post them here.  I don't think there's anything left on the NLM that I haven't seen.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

It seems to have gone back to normal after I reset the servers over the weekend.

Thanks, I'll definately post any errors I come across in future. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Mentors

While setting up the  redundant Server model , I am getting the following issue

• SvcbocadA can talk to svcbocadB, SvcbocadC can talk to svcbocad0B, BUT Svcbocad0C can NOT talk to svcbocad0A
  • SvcbocadA comes online as the MASTER.

• SvcbocadB comes online and acknowledges svcbocadA as the master

• SvcbocadC comes online and acknowledges svcbocadB as the master

• We now have two masters in the environment…

Users can talk to svcbocadA are fine, but some new connections try to talk to svcbocadB and can’t get licenses.

It seems A, B and C are not able to set up the appropriate corum (quorum)

Thanks

Message 7 of 9
TravisNave

I think you are beginning to understand why the "redundant" server setup is simply redundancy in the amount ot work that it takes to set it up.  It also takes a lot more redundant work when it fails, because you have to fix and restart the two "working" servers when the 3rd fails -- whereas a single license server failure can be fixed or moved within 5 minutes of failure.  If you have literally no reason to use the redundant model, other than the simple conclusion that you just want to have it, then my professional opinion backed by nearly a decade of using FlexLM is to avoid this model at all costs. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: TravisNave

Travis,  I work with shubhob and can provide a little more insight.  We are using the redundant server setup because we have Autodesk installs world wide.  Our thought process was that if we distribute our license servers around the world then users will be to continue using Autodesk products even if one of the sites drops.

Message 9 of 9
TravisNave

First, you need to make sure that you are allowed to distribute licenses across different regions.  If you have a global license, then you are fine.  If not, you may be violating your license agreement.

That being said, then rather than a redundant model, you might actually look to a distributed model.  It seems that it will better suit your needs if you still feel that running a single server is not sufficient for your needs. 

I run one single server for multiple offices nationwide in the US and it works flawlessly. 

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report