Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing from Single License Server Model to Redundant License Server Model

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
jcoelho
1687 Views, 6 Replies

Changing from Single License Server Model to Redundant License Server Model

Hello All,

I have a desire to change our present Single Server License Model to a Redundant Server License Model during our upgrade to the 2011 family of products. This is desired to provide some redundancy to our license management of Autodesk products. I already know we have the correct server requirements, three servers on the same subnet, and I've already received my license file from Autodesk for this setup that includes all our various Autodesk products (Revit, AutoCAD, Navisworks).

My question is with the client machines that run the Autodesk products. Since existing installations of the software were done previously under the single license server model, will I need to uninstall the products and reinstall to change them to the redundant license server model? Or is there an easier way to update the already installed products to the new license model? I would hate to have to go around to every PC in the company to uninstall and reinstall all the Autodesk products on each one. Obviously the new installs of the 2011 products could be done with the newer license server model at initial installation.

Thanks in advance for any help or comments.

John Coelho - Hart Design Group
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
TravisNave
in reply to: jcoelho

The redundant model is a horrible idea. It sounds good on paper, but I describe it as redundant not because of the so-called benefit of eliminating the single-point-of-failure, but because instead of the NLM always working with one server, it is now always required to work with at least two. The redundant model actually fails if two of the three servers goes down. One single server setup as redundant will not work on its own. Regardless of any failure, you are going to have to setup a new NLM in its replacement anyway. Since setting up the NLM only take a few minutes, the necessity for a redundant system is not really worth the effort. Also if your server fails and you have to reconfigure a brand new server or move to a new server, you will have to reconfigure the licenses for all three servers and restart each of their services to ensure the redundancy. Futhermore, if for some reason there is a network connectivity issue where one server cannot see the other two, or any combination thereof, the redundancy fails because one server cannot run on its own. A redundant server system will actually require more work on your part because you will constantly have to ensure that connectivity to all three services is maintained because the NLM service will stop if it cannot connect to at least one other NLM. With a single license system, you will fix a failure once. On a redundant system, you will fix a failure three times. And that my friend, is redundant!

But to answer your question, yes, you will also have to reconfigure all of your clients to be able to rollover to any one of three servers. This can be done with a system environment variable called ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE with a value of @SERVER1;@SERVER2;@SERVER3. You shouldn't need to reinstall your clients.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 7
leopickford
in reply to: jcoelho

Hi,

Based on your comments i've dropped the Redundant/Distributed idea... So i'm now trying to configure a backup LMTools so if the primary licence server fails i can quickly shift over to this backup solution.

This brings two questions - 

How quickly can i generate a new license file from Autodesk. (i've always used the reseller which takes days)

And

How would i re-configure the application server that hosts the Autodesk products to look at the backup LMTools. [We have two Citrix hosts that XenApp Autodesk Applications Revit etc to the Mac workstations, each server host points to our single license server.

Thank you!

Leo.

Message 4 of 7
DarrenP
in reply to: leopickford

@leopickford wrote:

How would i re-configure the application server that hosts the Autodesk products to look at the backup LMTools. [We have two Citrix hosts that XenApp Autodesk Applications Revit etc to the Mac workstations, each server host points to our single license server.

Thank you!

Leo.

you can use this system enviroment variable
http://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-specify-license-se...

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
TravisNave

Darren is right.  The ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE system environment variable is the way to go.

As for your reseller taking days to get your LIC file... my recommendation is to get a new VAR.  That's unacceptable.  I can have you a new LIC at the end of this conversation. 

Regardless, you can use the online method to activate your license here:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/installation-and-licensing

Or you can can call Autodesk Product Registration and Authorization yourself:

1-800-551-1490 > Option 1 (English) > Option 2 > (Network)

I think you're making the right decision going single server. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 6 of 7
leopickford
in reply to: TravisNave

Thank you! I really appreciate the input. 

Just to confirm the plan. 

If I edit the variable on each of the application servers (2 Citrix hosts) I could include Server1 [original standalone server] and Server2 [backup server]. This would require a new license file which i'll generate from the link you shared. Once this is up and running including the LMToos on the backup system i could test the setup by simply switching off the primary license server.

Thanks,

Leo. 

Message 7 of 7
TravisNave

That should work perfectly. When you're done just shut off the 2nd NLM
until you need it.

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report