Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Certified hardware and graphics question?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
dmcontini
349 Views, 4 Replies

Certified hardware and graphics question?

After 20 plus years of working at an architects office with both Autocad and AutoCad Architecture, I am now on my own and need to have a laptop system that initally will be used for rental "desktop subcriptions" of Autocad lt and then eventualy revit lt or autocad building design suite. After researching on the "certified hardware" webpage. (AutoCAD LT was not an option on the "Certified hardware" tool.)  It seemed as the lenovo thinkpad w530 with the NVidia quadro k1000m graphics card would be ok to purchase to use with AutoCAD, AutoCAD Building Besign suite 2013 and Revit 2014. So that is what i purchased. It arrived last friday.

Yesterday, I also purchased the monthly Desktop Subscription of AutoCAD LT and installed the 2014 version on this new Levono Thinkpad W530 laptop.

Well now that it is bought and the software is rented and installed. Upon the initial startup of the AutoCAD LT 2014, a message was displayed that there was an issue with the graphics card, and that I should run 3dconfig. Upon running 3dconfig and updating it, I ran the performance Tuner twice. It showed that the 3d devices both the NVidia Quadro K1000m and the Intel(r) HD graphics 4000 as  "not certified".    So I do not know what to do.

1)Does this really matter?
Can I use the setup I just purchased or will I have problems with the software not working properly?
So, since initially I need to use only AutoCAD LT that is why I rented it first.  Please advise if this laptop and graphics card that I have will work properly for the software already installed and the others that I plan on installing initially with the demo versions before renting then also. 

OR Should I send this Lenovo w530 laptop back to the place that I bought it and have it replaced with a better model that is certified? 

If you think I should replace it, would the Lenovo thinkpad w540 be a good replacement and with which graphics card? 

Please advise on the laptop and graphics card that would be good to replace this one with.
2) If this Lenovo w530, that I have, is not recommended for use, then I will need to transfer the software and monthly license that I rented to the replacement laptop. Is that even possible? Please advice what procedure I need to follow to use the software I rented yesterday on a different laptop once  the newer laptop arrives, if necessary.  

Please advise on how  I should proceed.
I really do appreciate your help.
Thank you,

Donna

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: dmcontini

Unless its actually causing problems (flickering, cursor leaving trails on screen, crashing, etc.) don't worry about it.  You may want to check your current graphics driver version against the ones listed for AutoCAD and Revit.  Older drivers should probably be updated to the recommended version, newer drivers are usually OK, but *might* need to be uninstalled and replaced with the recommended ones IF you encounter graphics problems.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 5
dmcontini
in reply to: dgorsman

Thank you Dgorsman!  You are probably right I should not worry. But I do.

I am Sorry.  I need to ask the followup question, since  I am new to doing all this by myself.

I think the driver version i have is 333.2 (based on the Nvidia System Information that I print).

It looks like it is newer then the version listed for Revit on the "certified hardware" tool is version 332.21.

The problem is that for Autocad LT, there is no information on that tool and that for standard Autocad the graphic card I have is not listed either for the 2014 and 2015 versions of Autocad. 

Any additional advise?

Thank you.

Donna

Message 4 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: dmcontini

AutoCAD LT is, at its heart, full AutoCAD.  Just a with a couple of locked doors.  So for certified compatibility the latter will cover both.  But most of that is to cover 3D work which LT doesn't do.  If it starts really misbehaving you should be OK with software mode for a while.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 5
dmcontini
in reply to: dgorsman

Thank you!

I really do appreciate your advise.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report