Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot export licence

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
johnmcgowan18
1279 Views, 27 Replies

Cannot export licence

Have tried without success to export licence using LTU to install on a new laptop. Error message keeps saying serial number invalid (40). The product key / serial numbers are correct. Still have original box with Autocad USB.  Have installed software on new laptop but LTU will not work on that machine. Have send emails for help to Autodesk over last 3 days. No response. Need help as workload building up. Any help gratefully received 

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
Otto
in reply to: johnmcgowan18

Hello johnmcgowan18 and welcome to the Autodesk community!

It looks like you're getting an "Invalid Serial Number” message or having trouble with your product key while trying to register and activate your Autodesk software. The following article(s) should help you resolve the problem:

Click Top reasons why you may get a Serial Number Error during Activation

And check Error: "Invalid serial number" (standalone activation)

For product key information: Finding Serial Numbers & Product Keys

If you’re having an issue with your product key, please make sure that you are using the correct one for your product (especially if your product comes from a suite). Finally, you should type then numbers and letters in. We do not recommend copy/paste.

If you are still having issues activating your product, you may visit our Activation Contact Us page and submit your inquiry there.

If this information was helpful, please consider marking it as an Accepted Solution by clicking on the "Accept as Solution" link, below. Taking a moment to do this will help others with similar questions find useful answers. Thank you!

Kudos (click on the link or the "thumbs-up!" icon), are also gratefully received! (Even a bot likes praise.)

If this answer missed the mark, please let us know so that other community members can lend a hand. Any additional details might help, too: consider including relevant screenshots, log files, error messages, or system specs.

I'm a software-based HelpBot, designed to provide the information you need to get up and running with Autodesk products—any time, day or night. Your feedback will help train me to deliver more accurate and helpful answers. Thanks in advance! Also, please note that I'm only set up to respond to the first post of a topic, not to any replies. Thank you!

Helpful links: Find Serial Numbers and Product Keys | Find Downloads and Service Packs | Activate Autodesk software
Message 3 of 28

@johnmcgowan18

Welcome to the community..

Although you have given us a clear picture that the LTU is failing you but what Autodesk Product/Version is that you are trying to transfer?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 4 of 28

I am trying to transfer Autodesk Building Design Suite Premium 2012. 

Message 5 of 28
rkmcswain

Forget the LTU and just install and activate as needed.

If that fails, contact your reseller and/or submit a Support Request, you can do that here.  You can also schedule a time for Autodesk Support to call you

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 6 of 28

@johnmcgowan18

Thanks for the information..

Is this suite on an active maintenance subscription?  If so then you are not entitled to transfer this version anymore because if you have an active maintenance subscription then you can only use the current released version (2017) and 3 legacy versions.

If none of that is true above..  Did you have a maintenance subscription at one time for this suite and you went off of it?  IF so then you are only entitled to use the version that was released at the time you elected not to renew your subscription.

If that is still not true...  Then do what @rkmcswain just indicated...  Just install and activate on the new machine.

Mark Lancaster

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 7 of 28
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: rkmcswain

@rkmcswain

A couple of things (clarification) per your reply..

Scheduling a call with Autodesk is only permitted if the end user has Adv or Enterprise Support from Autodesk.  This is a paid support and is needed for each application they own.   However it is included free of charge if they have any of the LT products.  But it can only be used for LT products and not a Building Design Suite.

Logging a support case through their Autodesk Account is only possible if that individual is the contract manager or software coordinator of their subscription.  Or they have been assigned that benefit or capability to their named account.

Mark Lancaster

Message 8 of 28

Thanks Mark

I no longer have an active maintenance subscription. So the first two suggestions are not available.

I have installed the software on the new laptop which was fine but i cannot see where i can activate to product. I keep getting the View Mode only.

Message 9 of 28
rkmcswain
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

We rarely, if ever, are aware of an OP's support status or position within their subscription or even if they have a subscription. It's simply generic information that readers of the thread (including OP) can explore. If applicable, then great. If not, then other paths will have to be considered.

Message 10 of 28

@johnmcgowan18

If you did have a maintenance subscription for this suite and you didn't renew it..  When did that occur?  Because as I stated before if you did have a subscription on this suite and you didn't elect to continue with it then you are only entitled to use the released version of the suite at the time your subscription elapsed.  Meaning you could be in a non-compliance situation and you could be fine..  Smiley Wink 

Mark Lancaster

Message 11 of 28
Mark.Lancaster

@rkmcswain

I fully understand that we are not always privy in knowing everything at the OP end.

Sorry if my reply came across the wrong way..  Smiley Sad  It was merely meant as an addition to your posting but not wording in that fashion.  Anyhow I was assuming you would get back "well I don't see that" and thus it would lead to more replies..

Mark Lancaster

Message 12 of 28

Thanks guys appreciate the help

Have tried clicking on the  submit a Support Request, you can do that here.  but this gave me an error page. Clicked  schedule a time for Autodesk Support to call you but this sent me somewhere i have been been before. Tried to schedule a support call 3 days ago. Had an acknowledgement email but nothing else.

Message 13 of 28

Thought the hard bit was cloning a machine with several operating systems. Never considered the licence being an issue. How wrong i was

Message 14 of 28
Darin.Green

There's nothing you can do to get that previous activation onto a different machine. Technically, it should've been removed when subscription was dropped. That being the case, you'll need to uninstall and install the latest version you were entitled to when your subscription ended.

For example, if you're using if you're trying to install 2012, and your subscription ended while 2016 was still the latest, then you'll need to install and use 2016 because that 2012 serial number is no longer valid.

If you're still on subscription, then the serial number would still be invalid because its not within the current (2017) and back 3 versions to 2014. Again, you'll need to upgrade the software to a supported version or request previous use through your reseller.

If this information was helpful, please consider using the Accept Solution

Message 15 of 28
johnmcgowan18
in reply to: Darin.Green

Darin .... Being very stupid ... i have installed 2012 software on new laptop .... how do i update it

Message 16 of 28
rkmcswain
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

No worries Mark.

Autodesk should have a simple wizard or flow chart that directs users to the types of support applicable to them.

Autodesk knows who a user is based on their account, so it shouldn't be that difficult to build a flow chart based on simple Go/NoGo decisions.

Then a user could easily see if they have phone support, the ability to submit a support request, forum support only, etc.

It would also make sense to identify the support level of users here so that support staff and EE's could use this to direct them in the right direction, in case the flow chart failed.

I know, this is off-topic.... I'm out...
Message 17 of 28
Darin.Green

You'll need to uninstall it, then install the version that you own.

If this information was helpful, please consider using the Accept Solution

Message 18 of 28
johnmcgowan18

What a great idea

Message 19 of 28
johnmcgowan18
in reply to: Darin.Green

Thanks to all for your input ... will try to uninstall and install again. 

Will post a result ... if i get one

Message 20 of 28

Unfortunately..... having uninstalled everything and then reinstalled everything  ..... i am still in the same position.

Cannot export the licence i thought i had paid for ... and unable to activate the licence on a new laptop. No response from customer support ...

Thanks to all that tried to help .... much appreciated

Attached ... one very expensive usb stick ... maybe i can sell it on Ebay ....  thanks Autodesk .... you really know how to make life difficult !!!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report