Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't install RAC-2012 in Winxp sp3

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
arthurlao
1497 Views, 15 Replies

Can't install RAC-2012 in Winxp sp3

I try to install RAC-2012 in several winxp sp3 workstations.(under adminstrator account)  I got the Error 1303. The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory:C:\ProgramData. I know C:\ProgramData is for WinVista or Win7 not Winxp. Then I try to install it in a win7 workstation, it success to install. So anyone has same issue ? and have a solution for that.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
TravisNave
in reply to: arthurlao

Are you installing from media or from a deployment? 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 16
kevin.moore

Hi,

Check to see if you can access (or create) these folders.

1. Windows XP
  • C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\ Application Data\Autodesk
  • C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk

Do you have existing Autodesk software on the XP systems?

I strongly recommend rebooting the system before attempting to install software.

If a file or folder was opend by a program, the program may force Windows to lock the file and/or folder.  A simple reboot will unlock files and folders which may allow an install to executes.

Kevin

Kevin Moore
Test Development
AutoCAD
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 16
arthurlao
in reply to: kevin.moore

I have reboot the system. I did all under safe-mode (using clean installation method -msconfig by autodesk website), did "cacls /T /C...administrators:F"  to clear all C:\documents and Settings folder access, disable all anti-virus software and firewall. The installation file directly downloaded from autodesk website. But when the installation process at installing revit 2012 section (i think it is about 50% of installing revit 2012 section), I got the error 1303. I did all that in two winxp sp3 workstations. unluckily all get error 1303. The workstations is installed Revit2009 and Revit2011. They are working fine. Hope all infomations can help you find out where the problem is.

Message 5 of 16
arthurlao
in reply to: kevin.moore

And I just want to do standalone installation, not did deployment stuffs.

Message 6 of 16
DannyHubbard

Does the folder ProgramData already existing under the C drive? Have you checked the permissions for the ProgramData fodler and just the C:\, in both case the Administrators group should have Full Control.

Danny Hubbard
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 16
arthurlao
in reply to: DannyHubbard

C:\ProgramData is for winvista and win7. But same folder in winxp sp3 is used C:\Document and Settings\All Users. And the folder can not create it yourself. Because it is windows system folder. Also I have tried to create the folder, but it said it already exist. And I have given adminstrator access (Full control) for the folder. The best thing is you may try to do installation on a winxp machine. See you get some problem or not. Because I have tried it in three winxp sp3 workstations. They all get some error 1303.

Message 8 of 16
DannyHubbard

With Revit 2012 even on XP the content is installed to C:\ProgramData. I just installed Revit 2012 XP again without any problems.

You might search through the "Autodesk Revit Architecture 2012 Install.log" in your TEMP folder and search for the 1303 error to see if it give you more details as to what is wrong.

Danny Hubbard
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 16
arthurlao

Here is my partial Autodesk Revit Architecture 2012 Install.log. As you said, installation process try to create the C:\ProgramData. But under Winxp system, C:\ProgramData can not be created. And traditional(typical) library path is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\ from Revit8 to Revit2011 under winxp. Maybe you can check your winxp workstation that is in C:\ProgramData structure or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\ structure. So find a workstation that is inC:\Documents and Settings\All Users\ structure. See you can install or not?  My workstation is in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\. When I try to create C:\ProgramData, I get denial error. Therefore why I can not install it in winxp.

Also I try to use custom path by "shared" and "local" during installation. But the installation still want to install in C:\ProgramData. So if you have way to install library to another path except C:\ProgramData, please let me know. Or you know how to change the install script file and force it to install another path.

And you need full Autodesk Revit Architecture 2012 Install.log, please let me know. Because the file is 5M large.

RVT_FAMILYTEMPLATEPATH = C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RAC 2012\Family Templates\English_I\
Property(S): RVT_PATH_LIBRARIES = C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RAC 2012\Libraries\US Imperial\
Property(S): RVT_PATH_DETAILS = C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RAC 2012\Libraries\US Imperial\Detail Components
Property(S): RVT_DEFAULTTEMPLATE_ARCHITECTURAL = C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RAC 2012\Templates\US Imperial\default.rte
Property(S): RVT_DEFAULTTEMPLATE_CONSTRUCTION = C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RAC 2012\Templates\US Imperial\Construction-Default.rte

Message 10 of 16
DannyHubbard

I have installed Revit 2012 on XP SP3 systems with or without the C:\ProgramData folder already existing, in both cases the product install fine, if the folder doesn't exist then it is created during the install. As I mentioned before with Revit 2012 the content and templates will default to install to C:\ProgramData not to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.

If you are having problem just creating the folder C:\ProgramData in Windows Explorer this is a permission issue and would need to be resolved before Revit can be installed.

Danny Hubbard
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 11 of 16
arthurlao

Seems we are kind of finding what the issue is. So can you share with me how to create C:\ProgramData folder under winxp with C:\Documents and Settings\ before installation.

See the links below. It explains /ProgramData/ is new "system folder" for winvista and win7.  So can you ask your Tech people? And then advise me how to create the /ProgramData/ under winxp enivernment. I really have difficult time to create /ProgramData/ folder under winxp even though I log as System Administrators with full control permission access.

Please see "Some Vista features not present in XP"

http://www.vistaonwindows.com/changes.php

Thanks.

Message 12 of 16
DannyHubbard

To create the new folder on XP all you do is:

Double click on the My Computer icon on your desktop

Double click on the C drive

Right click choose New > Folder

Then type in the name ProgramData hit Enter

You should get one of three results.

1. The folder is created

2. An access denied error if you don't have permissions

3. An error that the folder already exists

Danny Hubbard
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 13 of 16
arthurlao

I got 2. An access denied error if you don't have permissions and 3. An error that the folder already exists

Here is something to explain about how to design installation process.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/789441/how-to-create-a-folder-under-allusersprofile-during-setup-...

I do not know your Tech people or not. You can talk to Tech people that creating one default path (C:\ProgramData) is not working on Winxp and Win7 at the same time. And I do not know how you can do it in your test winxp machine. Anyway, if you can come up any solution, please let me know.

Thanks

Message 14 of 16
DannyHubbard

I think you are getting to caught up on the name of the folder being ProgramData. The simple fact is the permissions on your XP machines has been changed at some point so you either cannot create the folder C:\ProgramData or you cannot create or modify files in that path. This has to be resolved before you can install Revit.

Danny Hubbard
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 15 of 16
arthurlao

Finally I found the way to create C:\ProgramData at my strict permission winxp workstation. It all needs to do under pure DOS mode or safe mode with command prompt.

Here is the process

Under pure DOS mode or safe mode with command prompte

cd C:\

mkdir C:\ProgramData

Then reboot and then C:\ProgramData will be create. After that, I success installing Revit 2012 now.

Thanks

Message 16 of 16
DannyHubbard

Thanks for the udpate, glad to hear you were able to get it installed.

Danny Hubbard
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report